Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 21:55   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
After 6 years of getting my Global Fiesta 1.5 TDCi serviced at authorised service centres, I am now thinking of doing the oil change on my own. Any suggestions on a good oil. Cost of oil is a secondary factor as the car running is right now doing less than 10,000 kms a year.
Mobil Super 3000 x1 5w30 is the (moderately priced and decent quality) oil on the open market that conforms to the Ford wss m2c917c/d spec.

Else take your pick of any 5w30 acea a5/b5 oil - check on Amazon, you can even pour a rather expensive Amsoil signature series if you like.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 12:59   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
After 6 years of getting my Global Fiesta 1.5 TDCi serviced at authorised service centres, I am now thinking of doing the oil change on my own. Any suggestions on a good oil. Cost of oil is a secondary factor as the car running is right now doing less than 10,000 kms a year.
Was in the same boat as you. Last week I availed basic service from pitshop app and the expierience was pretty decent. I paid around, 3.5 k for oil ( Shell helix ) + oil filter change as well as air filter cleaning. It's a doorstep service. They come with a vehicle with all the tools and accessories.

PS :- The oils used was Shell helix 10-40 ( not 5-30 ).
Old 28th March 2021, 14:04   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
For a global fiesta? Why?
Old 28th March 2021, 17:53   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Was in the same boat as you. Last week I availed basic service from pitshop app and the expierience was pretty decent. I paid around, 3.5 k for oil ( Shell helix ) + oil filter change as well as air filter cleaning. It's a doorstep service. They come with a vehicle with all the tools and accessories.

Does 3.5K include cost of engine oil? Usually, these doorstep service providers provide semi-synthetic oils and seems you got synthetic oil. Also, are they NOT supposed to change the air filter?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 18:06   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does 3.5K include cost of engine oil? Usually, these doorstep service providers provide semi-synthetic oils and seems you got synthetic oil. Also, are they NOT supposed to change the air filter?
If it is an oiled foam air filter like in the Scorpio you can clean it and reuse it for the specified time interval - 3-4 service intervals.

If it is a paper filter like for the Fiesta throw it away and replace with a new one, don't clean and reuse it.
Old 29th March 2021, 16:06   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
For a global fiesta? Why?
Yes for global Fiesta.

My knowledge on oils may not be so good. My thought was, as I live in Bangalore, I might be OK with 10w as the temperature never falls that low. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am running K&N and it's a 5k KMs oil change which I wanted to do. Not sure, if they change the air filter as a part of the package. This is the first time I am getting something done outside FORD ASS.
Old 29th March 2021, 16:17   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My knowledge on oils may not be so good. My thought was, as I live in Bangalore, I might be OK with 10w as the temperature never falls that low. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
https://www.buygreatoil.com/oil-viscosity-explained

That gives the basics but in general if a car manufacturer says use a different grade of oil at different temperature in the manual then do so. Don’t change to a heavier oil grade on your own accord.
Old 30th March 2021, 15:12   #2168
BHPian

Quote:
That gives the basics but in general if a car manufacturer says use a different grade of oil at different temperature in the manual then do so. Don’t change to a heavier oil grade on your own accord.
Some manufacturer recommends 5w-30 grade engine oil for their cars. But I am confused that how is this applicable to two different cars with the same engine but operating in two different locations, say one in Leh-Laddakh and another in Rajashtan.
Old 30th March 2021, 17:09   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
Some manufacturer recommends 5w-30 grade engine oil for their cars. But I am confused that how is this applicable to two different cars with the same engine but operating in two different locations, say one in Leh-Laddakh and another in Rajashtan.
People use the same 0w20 in Alaska as well as in the Arizona desert, in the USA. Don’t worry - the temperature of your engine is rather different from the temperature found in the local climate.
Old 30th March 2021, 18:37   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
People use the same 0w20 in Alaska as well as in the Arizona desert, in the USA. Don’t worry - the temperature of your engine is rather different from the temperature found in the local climate.

Ok. Thanks. I asked that question because 5w-30 engine oil of my Honda Amaze diesel is getting thinner in just 7K Km. In the past three years I have tried veedol, valvoline and Idemitsu. Should I try 5w-40 or 10w-40?
Old 30th March 2021, 18:46   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
Ok. Thanks. I asked that question because 5w-30 engine oil of my Honda Amaze diesel is getting thinner in just 7K Km. In the past three years I have tried veedol, valvoline and Idemitsu. Should I try 5w-40 or 10w-40?
My first generation Amaze that I sold in 2018 ran happily on 5w40 a3b4 (shell helix ultra) and the manual asked for 5w40. Honda has much the same iVtec / iDtec engine in later generations of Amaze but keeps tinkering with the oil spec. Pour Shell Helix Ultra and enjoy life.
Old 30th March 2021, 19:50   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
My first generation Amaze that I sold in 2018 ran happily on 5w40 a3b4 (shell helix ultra) and the manual asked for 5w40. Honda has much the same iVtec / iDtec engine in later generations of Amaze but keeps tinkering with the oil spec. Pour Shell Helix Ultra and enjoy life.
Mine is first-generation too. But since I don't have a manual for that so I referred to the manual of the current generation in which 5w-30 was recommended. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try 5w-40 this time.
Old 24th April 2021, 22:44   #2173
BHPian

Greetings,

I own Baleno 1.3 DDiS (2016) and is due for it's 120k service. The manual says the recommended engine oil is A5/B5 5w30. But post completion of 40k service, the MASS have been using MGDO 5w40 (a/b spec not known) saying it's semi-synthetic and costs around Rs.1400.

This time I am thinking of getting the car serviced outside MASS and hence having doubt whether I should keep using 5w40 or switch to 5w30. I also want to use fully synthetic this time and no mineral or semi-synthetic sort of oil and my drive is on 90% on highways only with an average monthly run of 2500 kms.

The nearby garage suggests using Total 5w40 and after multiple posts pertaining to Shell/Mobil etc I feel a bit reluctant putting it.

Please suggest and guide regarding the same.

Thanks.
Old 25th April 2021, 01:11   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post
Greetings,

I own Baleno 1.3 DDiS (2016) and is due for it's 120k service. The manual says the recommended engine oil is A5/B5 5w30. But post completion of 40k service, the MASS have been using MGDO 5w40 (a/b spec not known) saying it's semi-synthetic and costs around Rs.1400.
Plenty of synthetic 5w30 oils around in a5b5

5w40 is more likely a3b4 but won’t hurt your car much either.

Your baleno will be perfectly happy on shell helix ultra 5w40 or a wide variety of 5w30 a5b5 oils (castrol magnatec; Mobil super 3000; idemitsu; valvoline all climate advanced at the lower end and eg Castrol edge 5w30 LL, Amsoil signature series 5w30 at the high end).

Buy whatever suits your pocket and change oil frequently - maybe a bit earlier than the change interval if you have high running in the city besides highway driving.

Last edited by hserus : 25th April 2021 at 01:12.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 09:08   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Plenty of synthetic 5w30 oils around in a5b5

Buy whatever suits your pocket and change oil frequently - maybe a bit earlier than the change interval if you have high running in the city besides highway driving.
Thanks a lot for the information.

Views on Total Quartz fully synthetic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks