Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 20:11   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Let's see how it performs. In relation to the recent reformulation of GTX D,it'sis supplied to Tata and is specifically formulated to specifications provided by TATA to Castrol. The change in formulation resulting in downgrading of GTX D from CI4 to CH4+ was on instructions from TMIL. Also, TMIL has released an internal circular recommending that Oil change interval be brought down from 10k to 5k kms.
So, will the free oil changes be at 5K, 10K, 15K and 20K instead of 10K and 20K?
Old 14th May 2009, 21:26   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
So, will the free oil changes be at 5K, 10K, 15K and 20K instead of 10K and 20K?
What free oil changes? They charge you for oil and filters even at the "free" services.
Old 14th May 2009, 21:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
What free oil changes? They charge you for oil and filters even at the "free" services.
I had specifically asked about free oil change (labour) and not free oil and filter. In fact I have recently had a forced and paid change at 2K and wanted to know whether they will change at 5K without myself forcing them. Actually they were adamant not to change it before 10K.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:04   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
cost rs 1282/- for 7 ltrs including vat thats rs 183/- per ltr

specs-
chevron delo gold multigrade isosynthetic
api service ch-4/sl sae 15w-40
api ch=4/sl,cg-4,cf-4,cd.acea e3-96.caterpillar ecf-1
cummins ces 20072,20071.mercedes benz 228.3.man 271.volvo vds2
mtv/ddc category 2.mack eo-m,eo-L
@dockap, thanks for the specs about Delo Gold, got 6l for my car y'day , total cost 1068/- (with bill) including a 1.5% discount for cash purchase. Going to get the oil changed this weekend.

OT : Anybody knows where I can get the following grade of mineral oil in Chennai - 10W-30 conforming or exceeding API SL for petrol cars ? Thanks

Mobil and Shell do not seem to have 10W-30 in mineral in India , Idemitsu cannot be purchased outside it seems, Chevron/Havoline has a product called Formula 10W-30 but I dont know where I can buy it.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
I had specifically asked about free oil change (labour) and not free oil and filter. In fact I have recently had a forced and paid change at 2K and wanted to know whether they will change at 5K without myself forcing them. Actually they were adamant not to change it before 10K.
Naah, you'll have to pay labour for the change if you want to go for it, the 5k km change is only an internal circular.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:59   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
@dockap, thanks for the specs about Delo Gold, got 6l for my car y'day , total cost 1068/- (with bill) including a 1.5% discount for cash purchase. Going to get the oil changed this weekend.

OT : Anybody knows where I can get the following grade of mineral oil in Chennai - 10W-30 conforming or exceeding API SL for petrol cars ? Thanks

Mobil and Shell do not seem to have 10W-30 in mineral in India , Idemitsu cannot be purchased outside it seems, Chevron/Havoline has a product called Formula 10W-30 but I dont know where I can buy it.
For whatever brand you want, please email/phone the company's marketing dept/area office/helpline/etc. Details of the same can be had from teh company's website. Most responsive companies will immediately cater to your needs or even home deliver.

Cheveron is quite responsive.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:29   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
For whatever brand you want, please email/phone the company's marketing dept/area office/helpline/etc. Details of the same can be had from teh company's website. Most responsive companies will immediately cater to your needs or even home deliver.

Cheveron is quite responsive.
Thanks, yes that's how I started off, but Savita's website seems to be useless, their query form does not seem to work and I dont want to call Hyderabad to find out where I can purchase 1l of oil...

I found about Mobil Super XHP 10W-40,spoke to a person who does Mobil he was very helpful, however I need to buy a 3l can, but all I need is 1l tops for topping up. Honda guys are out to rip off, not even willing to share the grade of oil.

Then I took a chance with Chevron and now atleast I know there are people out there who are willing to help even if all you need is 1l.

Seems that 10W-30 mineral is not really a grade suited for a hot country like us and ,most shops looked at me as if I was from another planet. When I asked about 10W-40, they just laughed and said in India we have only 20W-40.

Like you had mentioned in another post, there are quite a number of products still selling with SF, SG, CC, CD certs

Last edited by indivic : 19th May 2009 at 16:33. Reason: Removed third smiley
Old 19th May 2009, 18:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, all I can say fight tooth and nail to use the oil you want. You own the car, and you have the right to decide (as long as its technically safe).

Yes, Savita has a useless site. I guess they ignore it because they mostly seem to be catering to service centres. Well, just ignore them and take your business elsewhere... We ain't stuck without them.

The trend is towards thinner oils. I won't be surprised if we soon see 10W30 recommended for cars. Its already catching up with bikes.

I very well know that look from shopkeepers. Just ignore... or give them a look that tells them how little they know about their own business. They should be selling veggies instead.

Btw, 10W40 car oils are available. Cant recall all of them off hand. Castrol Magnatec for eg. is definitely one.

Actually, it might be good that those lower API grade oils are available. They can actually be better in some ways. And for older/vintage cars, they are the thing...
Old 28th May 2009, 23:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

Question: whats the difference between shell helix and rimula 15W40's ?
the latter is CH while the former is CF. are they the passenger and heavy duty oils ?
Old 28th May 2009, 23:17   #115
Team-BHP Support

Goto Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible scroll down to A Brief History of Time API ratings. Basically CH is the current rating while CF is slightly outdated one.
Old 29th May 2009, 00:52   #116
Team-BHP Support

Most new crdi engines require atleat API-CH4. CF4 was used in the non common rail IDI like the indica, and indigo turbo etc.,
Old 29th May 2009, 09:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Goto Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible scroll down to A Brief History of Time API ratings. Basically CH is the current rating while CF is slightly outdated one.
CI+ is the current rating that most manufacturers are adhering to in their diesel engine oils. Mobile Delvac MX is an example of the same.
Old 29th May 2009, 11:23   #118
Senior - BHPian

mobil Delvax MX available in india is just CI rated. I think its the US version which is CI+

@ tsk, the owners manual states to use API CF4 oil, for even the dicor indigo/indicas. I wonder how they could be so careless.

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th May 2009 at 11:27.
Old 12th June 2009, 14:31   #119
BHPian

My SA at Concorde told me that nowadays they use only the GTX diesel which is rated CH4 or the Mobil Super 1000 TM (Tata Motors)
Old 19th June 2009, 19:01   #120
BHPian

Is it recommended to change the Gear box oil for my ford Ikon TCDi after 5k kms? Please advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks