Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 13:11   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Don’t over think the Fiat standard, your engine will run fine with any good 5w40 a3/b4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashagl View Post
Thanks hserus

I am contemplating between Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 which is complies with A3/B4 and Fiat 9.555535-N2, but this product is not easily available.
Technical litreature: https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000...40-33.0-en.pdf

VS

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf HC7 5W-40, this complies with A3/B4, but not Fiat 9.555535-N2
Read Technical litreature: https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000...40-22.0-en.pdf

This one is easily available
Old 15th March 2019, 13:13   #1877
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
A quick question, nowadays we see lot engine oils that can be used in both Petrol and Diesel engines. For a Diesel engine is is safe to go with such oils or to hunt for one that is specific to only Diesel engines. Question is for my SCross 1.6.
Normally the oil will be 'biased' towards one. In a Diesel you need more detergents in the oil. You will find the ratings poor is one of the disciplines. So even though the oils can be used in either I will still avoid them in the 'wrong' discipline.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 14:24   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Normally the oil will be 'biased' towards one. In a Diesel you need more detergents in the oil. You will find the ratings poor is one of the disciplines. So even though the oils can be used in either I will still avoid them in the 'wrong' discipline.
For light duty diesels - smaller engines and primarily city and light highway use - dual use oils are just fine. And if there's anything modern oils from well known brands aren't short of, it is a wide range of additives. A3 b4 5w40 is in more or less the same ballpark as the Fiat standard and should do fine. Finding any Fiat standard is comparatively rare because they took a decision not to certify too many third party oils.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 11:59   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Shell Rimula R5 seems to be available in India and is CK4 rated.

https://www.shell.in/motorists/oils-...ngine-oil.html
Old 4th April 2019, 08:29   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Hm, this is the first Mahindra issued manual I've seen (for an XUV500 sold in the UK and compatible to Euro 6 specs) that suggests alternatives for Maximile oils, and gives you an idea of what spec they use.

https://www.mahindra-tis.com/incl/?f...o6_2016_uk.pdf

All about diesel engine oils-screenshot-20190404-8.22.26-am.png

So Maximile FEO is essentially a 5w30 ACEA C3 or better. The ACEA spec this needs is essentially a mid SAPS extended drain interval oil, which is how they're able to make that change oil at 20k km claim (the next spec that fits mid SAPS C series is ACEA C5).

Hence its use in both their Petrol sedans as well as Diesel SUVs. The other brands they suggest such as Shell Helix Extra also carry a GM Dexos2 certification.

Searching Amazon for ACEA C3 you have Mobil1 ESP 5w30, Castrol Edge and a couple of Liqui Molys. Further there's a whole bunch of others such as Idemitsu that have such a certification, just check the specs on the back of the oil can.

Similar specs for Brake oil (DOT4 SAE J1703 FMVSS NO.116), coolant and manual transmission oil are available to help identify 3rd party brands.
Old 6th April 2019, 13:57   #1881
BHPian

Bit the bullet & switched over to the Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 on the Liva. The Delvac1 did a great job, very happy with the same and I realised one thing. It actually helped keep the mileage to a healthy figure at a time when the past driving year had even more crazier traffic than previous years. Gotta give it credit. Almost 3+ litres came out. I did use the STP Oil Treatment with the Delvac, as an experiment. It did help to a certain extent.

And thanks to the wonderful folks at Amsoil who gave me a good deal. Had to buy 5 bottles as they didn’t have a gallon can. Also the Liva takes in 3.9L. I have one bottle remaining. If anyone wants let me know. I have just used 150ml from the same. It has 800ml remaining.

All set for the summer and shall keep y’all posted about this experience. Last but definitely not the least, many thanks to Sumit for enlightening me about Amsoil. Cheers mate!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 23:04   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Shell Rimula R5 seems to be available in India and is CK4 rated.

https://www.shell.in/motorists/oils-...ngine-oil.html
Using the link provided, went to the Shell Rimula site and observed an interesting thing.

All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_201904062257332.png

Oil drain interval of up to 1 lac km! Is this a typo?

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 6th April 2019 at 23:06.
Old 7th April 2019, 02:43   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Using the link provided, went to the Shell Rimula site and observed an interesting thing.

Attachment 1866212

Oil drain interval of up to 1 lac km! Is this a typo?

Cheers !
No that’s not a typo.

Volvo for number of its heavy duty engines has been allowing 96,000 km drain interval as long as the oils meet VDS 4.5 standard.

Detroit Diesel offers 65,000 miles (104,000kms) for its DD13 series of engines & 75,000 miles (120,000kms) drain interval for DD15 series of engines for over the road application.

PACCAR’s MX-11 & MX-13 engines also come with 120,000 kms drain interval.

The oil drain intervals can be pushed even beyond these limits if the truck or fleet in question is on an “Oil Condition Monitoring” program where an oil sample is taken at predetermined intervals and tested for wear metals. It is a norm for the fleets in North America/Europe to be on such programs that are either offered by a third party vendor or an affiliate associated with any of the oil majors.

Shell operates in 140 countries around the world and their heavy duty lubricants have been tested extensively for extended drain intervals.

I’m sure with a number of major international players in the heavy duty segment operating in India now, these drain intervals are achievable provided fuel quality can be ensured (having worked for an Indian Oil major for 10 years I know fuel quality & norms both are a problem) and oil condition monitoring programs become a norm rather than an exception at least for the fleets that have a large number of trucks.

I must also emphasize that the high drain intervals of the kind that I have mentioned are limited to heavy duty diesel engines and are not for applicable for the passenger vehicles (diesel or gasoline).

Another factor that needs to be kept in mind is that the sump of a heavy duty truck engine is much larger as compared to that of a passenger car even as a proportion of its cubic capacity so the additives that will be depleted over the course of the time are also more in quantity. A good example will be; a 2 ltr. American/Japanese or Korean engine (Passenger car/SUV) will have a sump capacity of 4 odd litres and a drain interval of 12 to 16,000 kms. whereas a BMW/Audi/Mercedes Benz 2 ltr. engine will have an 8 ltr. sump and a drain interval of 25,000 to 30,000 kms. Now off course you have on-board oil life monitors that dictate the oil drain interval however given similar conditions a German engine will require an oil change after almost double the mileage as compared to an America/Japanese or a Korean engine because of its larger sump capacity.

Trust this helps.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 7th April 2019 at 02:55.
Vikram Arya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 07:22   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Another factor that needs to be kept in mind is that the sump of a heavy duty truck engine is much larger as compared to that of a passenger car even as a proportion of its cubic capacity so the additives that will be depleted over the course of the time are also more in quantity.
Add to all this, more robust oil filters. Bypass filters as an added option are fitted in many US based trucks to increase the drain interval. https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ass-filtration

With proper used oil analysis as a guide (not as easy to get in India, and fairly expensive unless you have a fleet of trucks or diesel cabs to justify the cost), you might even be able to swap out the existing oil filter even in your sedan or SUV .. the filter will give up far before the oil gives up. Top up oil lost during the filter change, run for a further distance. But do that only with a proper used oil analysis and periodic topups of the oil during the oil change interval.
Old 13th April 2019, 23:53   #1885
BHPian

Sorry, not trying to sound rhetoric, but our XUV 2018 is fast approaching 10k odo mark. Our last 5k service got us Mahindra Maximile , but at 10k we feel it's time for some serious lubrication.

The feelers from this thread is that we are favoring Mobil1 Delvac, but i am not sure if it's Synth or extra drain period Mineral.

Kindly need help in this grey area.
Old 14th April 2019, 07:19   #1886
Senior - BHPian

In diesel engine oils the mineral and synthetic difference doesn't matter as much as the api and/or acea rating does.

Mobil 1 Delvac and Amsoil 5w40s are fully synthetic as it happens. Delvac is still currently CI4+ rated, Amsoil is CK4

You could use any CI4+ or higher rated mineral diesel engine oil and that would work just fine, there's a wide range available in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Sorry, not trying to sound rhetoric, but our XUV 2018 is fast approaching 10k odo mark. Our last 5k service got us Mahindra Maximile , but at 10k we feel it's time for some serious lubrication.

The feelers from this thread is that we are favoring Mobil1 Delvac, but i am not sure if it's Synth or extra drain period Mineral.

hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 10:37   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post

Try Amsoil. You won't regret. Same with Delvac but the former is turning out to be a lot better. And along with this might as well try something like the STP diesel Fuel treatment, Amsoil Cetane Boost & Diesel Injector cleaner. Great products!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 10:39   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Try Amsoil. You won't regret. Same with Delvac but the former is turning out to be a lot better. And along with this might as well try something like the STP diesel Fuel treatment, Amsoil Cetane Boost & Diesel Injector cleaner. Great products!
Don't use those additives. Use the amsoil by all means but just fill high quality fuel - which means Shell, Reliance, Essar or only from known good pumps in BP / HP / IOC
Old 14th April 2019, 10:41   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Don't use those additives. Use the amsoil by all means but just fill high quality fuel - which means Shell, Reliance, Essar or only from known good pumps in BP / HP / IOC
I do that but why not use these additives?
Old 14th April 2019, 10:43   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I do that but why not use these additives?
Snake oil of dubious effectiveness in general. Most if not all manufacturers and even oil vendors will recommend you don't use them. Especially the friction modifier types like Ceratec etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks