Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 09:40   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post
Thanks a lot for the information.

Views on Total Quartz fully synthetic?
You can also try Motul xcess 5W40, MJD users (including me) are pretty much happy.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 10:46   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post
Thanks a lot for the information.

Views on Total Quartz fully synthetic?
Not used it. This is sold by the Indian subsidiary of a huge French oil and gas MNC so it should be of at least reasonable quality, try it out and see if you like.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:44   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Whatever diesel car is there they will happily pour that Servo branded CRDI oil which is generally 5w30 a3b4. The car should perform fairly OK on that.
Absolutely right sir. The only two services I did with Hyundai they poured some Servo oil. For the last 2.65L kms I’ve been using Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 with an oil change interval of 12-14k kms. Absolutely no issues. Mine is a late 2014 fluidic Verna 1.6CRDI
Old 8th June 2021, 08:44   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!

Planning to switch the engine oil from VW 505.01 (5W40) spec to VW 507.00 (5W30) spec since it's compatible with BS6 fuel. The latter one is supposed to be superior in every way. Except that it's a thinner oil.

Is it safe to be used in a car which has run for 1.1 lakh kms? The engine is a 1.6 TDI.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 08:52   #2180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey guys!

Planning to switch the engine oil from VW 505.01 (5W40) spec to VW 507.00 (5W30) spec since it's compatible with BS6 fuel. The latter one is supposed to be superior in every way. Except that it's a thinner oil.

Is it safe to be used in a car which has run for 1.1 lakh kms? The engine is a 1.6 TDI.
What is the expected benefit?

1.6 TDi can develop oil consumption problems with the correct oil spec itself , changing it may not be wise.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 09:22   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!

Your engine has already run 1.1 lac kms so the clearances have already increased from what they were when your car left the factory. The kinematic viscosity of a 5W-40 oil will be higher than that of a 5W-30 oil.

There is more to a spec than just the plain viscometrics. The VW 507 was designed keeping in view the engines that came with the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) emission systems. If a car with the DPF system used an oil not meeting the VW507 spec the particulate filter could potentially clog. It is also an extended life lubricant to which I wouldn't pay attention considering our diesel quality (I have worked for a large Indian petroleum company for 12 years) & ambient air conditions that are full of particulates.

In addition, there could be additional design considerations for a lubricant that a normal customer would never become aware of due to IPR considerations.

If the car's manual says you should use VW 505.01 spec oil, I would suggest you stick to it.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 11:12   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!

That doesn't have a DPF so as Vikram said stick to the recommended spec, but if you want use a nicer oil in that same spec.

Good old Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 has the 505 spec supported and is excellent, time tested. Go for it.
Old 8th July 2021, 10:35   #2183
anb
BHPian

Is it advisable to topup with a same grade different brand engine oil?
Old 8th July 2021, 11:23   #2184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Is it advisable to topup with a same grade different brand engine oil?
As long as grade and specifications match, top up from another brand shouldn't matter.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 06:17   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As long as grade and specifications match, top up from another brand shouldn't matter.
Except for additives not matching from one brand to another not much difference.

But why topup at all? If your oil level is anywhere between minimum and maximum, it is fine.

Oil loss should not occur between two fills at the regularly scheduled interval. If you see a significant oil drop going closer to the minimum level you need to troubleshoot what is the cause of the oil loss rather than just topping up and going on as before.

When you check oil levels check them early in the morning when the engine is cool and the car hasn't been driven for several hours, so that all available oil is returned to the oil sump rather than circulating around the engine.

(The same with AC gas levels reducing. Don't just refill AC gas and drive on, check what the root cause is and get it fixed)
Old 9th July 2021, 14:04   #2186
BHPian

My 2020 BS6 Creta Diesel 1.5 AT is nearing its first engine oil change interval(1 year/10Kms service). Current odo reading is around 8k kms.

From the owner manual, recommended specifications are:

Diesel 1.5 VGT - 4.8 litre -
Classification:
ACEA C5 or C3 or C2 (for DPF)

SAE Viscosity:
10W-30/40 (temperature range from -20 to 40 C)
5W-30/40 (-20 odd to 40 C)
0W-30 (-30 to 40C)
0W-20 (-30 to 40C)

Hyundai website gives below recommendation:
ALL NEW CRETA(2020) 1.5 VGT 0W20 ACEA C5 (Seltos manual also recommends this one)

I tried amazon and found few Synthetic ones, but they seem really costly:

1. Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W20 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil - 0W20 ACEA C5 (6k for 5L)
2. Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 API SN, ACEA C2/C3 (4k for 4L)

I did not find any mineral oil online with spec 0W20 ACEA C5, not sure what is being currently used in Hyundai/Kia service center. Website does say approx price of 355/L for mineral oil from Indian Oil and Shell.

What are my best options?
What are the recommended mineral and synthetic oils for the above spec (prefer 0W20 ACEA C5, but I guess others as per spec are also fine)?

My driving is mostly on highways, would it be beneficial to change to Synthetic oil? Should I wait for another 10k kms and change at 20k odo?
Old 9th July 2021, 18:11   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
1. Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W20 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil - 0W20 ACEA C5 (6k for 5L)
2. Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 API SN, ACEA C2/C3 (4k for 4L)
I think at that price you get the standard 5w30 servo CRDI oil and your engine should do ok with it, as long as no BS6 stuff like DPF and all.

Else you can't go wrong with the shell or mobil.
Old 10th July 2021, 23:07   #2188
BHPian

Quote:

ALL NEW CRETA(2020) 1.5 VGT 0W20 ACEA C5

I did not find any mineral oil online with spec 0W20 ACEA C5, not sure what is being currently used in Hyundai/Kia service center.
In Bangalore Advaith they use the shell mineral as well as synthetic engine oil. This has been so for some time since my elite i20 diesel used to get shell (initially mineral before I switched to synthetic at the 20k mark).

In Belagavi too they use shell mineral and synthetic. I think few dealerships are sticking with servo so we have to check with them during servicing on what they are using. At ₹355/litre it would be either shell or servo mineral depending on dealer/service centre.

For my Creta diesel AT, I plan to stick to mineral oil only but will change the oil and oil filter every 5k kms/6 months rather than switching to synthetic and change every 10k kms/1 year. But will definitely be sticking to shell oils from ASS.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 20:31   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
My 2020 BS6 Creta Diesel 1.5 AT is nearing its first engine oil change
Hyundai website gives below recommendation:
ALL NEW CRETA(2020) 1.5 VGT 0W20 ACEA C5 (Seltos manual also recommends this one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I think at that price you get the standard 5w30 servo CRDI oil and your engine should do ok with it, as long as no BS6 stuff like DPF and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
In Bangalore Advaith they use the shell mineral as well as synthetic engine oil.

My Creta BS6 Diesel AT went for its first oil change today at Advaith Hyundai Service Center, Bellandur.

I had spend considerable amount of time on the forum and youtube to figure out the exact specification of oil to be used. Decided on Advaith since they had Shell synthetic oil in stock.

Service advisor was as keen on synthetic oil as me. But I wanted to confirm on the specification as well. Unfortunately, he was not sure on the spec although he mentioned it was 5W-30.
Hyundai had ACEA A3/B4 - SAE for their pre BS6 1.6L diesels, so I was worried if they would use the same. I pushed him to confirm the specification and also showed him the difference in engine oil spec for BS4 vs BS6 diesels in Hyundai website.

Later he came back saying that he confirmed with his team that they are using updated engine oil for BS6 diesel Creta as required. They had no issues with me being near the vehicle during service. But the technician brought the engine oil from a different part of the service center and I had no clue what the exact specification was. I did check with him if it was synthetic and he confirmed the same. I did not want to pester him to show me the barrel etc, and I gave up.

The bill also does not mention the specification, it just states 'Synthetic Engine Oil Shell'. Paid 934/Litre including tax. Guess I have to go by the service advisor's words here.

So, after -
all the research,
all the queries,
all the time spent -

I have absolutely no idea on what specification of engine oil was used in my car
srikanthmadhava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 11:54   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea on what specification of engine oil was used in my car
Advaith ORR uses shell 5W-30 A5 grade synthetic oil
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks