Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 18:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Did they check the oxygen/lambda sensor? Ask them to replace it and try.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:33   #17
BHPian

Nope, petrol. It is a 1.6, one does not buy a Palio to get fuel efficiency

I only fill from a COCO HP outlet near my place. Have done from the begining of the ownership. Still, I changed the outlet once the prob started and filled from Shell. Still persists. So, methinks it is not a fuel problem but something else.

@gemithomas: Thanks. Will ask for that when I visit the TASC this time.

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 17th March 2009 at 18:44.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

is the car vibrating or knocking? are you using normal unleaded fuel or premium fuel?
Old 17th March 2009, 18:48   #19
BHPian

@planet_rocker: I use only normal fuel. It is vibrating at idle, and the rpm falls drastically when taking off from standstill when it is vibrating. TASC guys said a cylinder was missing. Now, whenever the problem recurs, the vibrations are much less but still there.
Old 17th March 2009, 19:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

so it is an idling issue??

do a simple test:

after a test run of say 5kms > let it idle for 2mins > lightly press the gas pedal > donot depress it > few light taps will do.

see if the rpm falls to 400-500 and then sticks at 800-850. if it behaves normally (rises without falling) it is good. if not, the TB needs attention - either the TB / ICV needs cleaning or the cable needs WD40.

someone mentioned:

Quote:
It could be that the butterfly valve is getting stuck, causing the engine to rev, then the Idle speed controller reduces fuel, bringing the revs back to 700/800, but when you apply throttle again, the butterfly valve maybe coming back to its designed position, and the reduced fuel is actually causing the rpm to dip.
Old 18th March 2009, 00:12   #21
BHPian

Anurag, I know I am not offering any solution here, but just to cheer you up a little bit: my GTX suffered from exactly the same problems about 2.5 years ago (@30000 KM), and none of the Service center folks could provide an answer. Lucky for me, the problem got completely on its own in about a month, and the car has been running without a single problem (of any nature) for the past 30000 KMs (touchwood).

Like I said, this is just to cheer you up.
Old 25th March 2009, 09:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
@planet_rocker: I use only normal fuel. It is vibrating at idle, and the rpm falls drastically when taking off from standstill when it is vibrating. TASC guys said a cylinder was missing. Now, whenever the problem recurs, the vibrations are much less but still there.
This is exactly what I had to suffer with. On top of it the everytime I went to the workshop to report this it worked fine, then suddenly the problem got a lot worst one day and the car started emitting a lot of black smoke finally the A.S.S. guys could see this happen and fixed it and I had the car the very next day.

As the sensor or sensors in my case it was the Lamda and the TP both malfunction but not always, so it almost impossible to identify this in the examiner unless it gives a wrong reading at that exact time.
Old 23rd October 2009, 00:41   #23
BHPian

As OP, same problem happened with me today...

CAR : FIAT Palio 1.2 ELX 2002

Mileage : 42K

Service history : regularly serviced. Last one was done at 39K-40K
Gear oil changed 10K KMs ago.

Oil : Mobil organic, can't recall the name

Part due : Though clean, Air filter and Spark plugs are due for replacement. I was going to replace them on Saturday.

Car was standing for just 48 Hrs. No problem before that, drove to Sis's place for Diwali. 16 KM on Monday.

4:15 PM
I was driving, in slow moving traffic, near Parel, Mumbai ( about 30 KM driving) and suddenly car started jerking and stalled. Petrol level was about 1/4. I immediately tried to crank the engine, but I after two three trys, the Injector failure symbol came On and STAYED ON.
I switched of the car and again switched it ON. Now that symbol came ON and went OFF immediately (Which is normal). Car still refused to crank up.
My bro pushed it to the side of the road and we waited there for 5 mins. This time engine cranked up but Idle RPM was not smooth. took it to a Petrol Pump, just 50 meters away. Filled 10 liters of Petrol.
Car stalled again near ITC hotel, 1 KM ahead. But started in few trys. Every time, the Injector Failure symbol came ON following an unsuccessful effort to crank up.
Michael Schume's mechanic's garage was nearby, say 2 KM. The mech , ie owner's son, is a good friend of mine too. I drove there slowly, carefuly. We reached his garage, I kept the engine running and went inside to get the mech. but as soon as he entered the car it died again in front of him.
He said there might be problems with various things, some sensor, fuel pump etc.
Since I had an important meeting to attend and his garage was full with cars, we decided to drive the car to his house at Century Bazzar, say 2-3 Km away. he drove the car, with AC ON. Car performed beautifully.

7:50 PM
Me, michael schume and my brother, we returned to the car. michael schume cranked up the engine. It was smooth. He drove the car on Worli Sea face road, very fast. Enjoyed the grip form my 195/55 tyres . We did a couple of high speed rounds ( Max 4th gear, no 5th gear). No problems.

Then I started for home, drove for about 2-3 KMs in traffic, stop n go, and car stalled again at PLAZA Cinema. Same thing, we waited for some time , and car cracked up.

Again at Sion Hospital it stalled again, a policeman and my bother pushed to the side ofroad. We waited for 5 mins and cracked up the engine.

From here till Thane, I kept the engine above 3000 revs (I have Autogauge tacho).
I was worried about the Priyadrshani area and Mulund Toll booths.

From Sion to my society in Thane, drove like mad keeping revs higher than 3K, with Hazard lights on. Hardly used 5th gear, but touched 100 KMPH few times.

NO problems at all at high speed.

What's happening?? What could be the problem.
Tomorrow I'm going to my mech in Thane.
I can't spend a lot of money now. :(

I'll check the thread before leaving for garage.
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:06   #24
BANNED

DId you try changing the spark plugs ? seems like a spark plug problem to me .Since the service centre people think that a cylinder is missing( misfiring) this might be a cause as well .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 23rd October 2009 at 01:16.
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:17   #25
BANNED

[quote=motionfreak;1544614]As OP, same problem happened with me today...

the Injector failure symbol came On and STAYED ON.
I switched of the car and again switched it ON. Now that symbol came ON and went OFF immediately (Which is normal). Car still refused to crank up.
My bro pushed it to the side of the road and we waited there for 5 mins. This time engine cranked up but Idle RPM was not smooth. took it to a Petrol Pump, just 50 meters away. Filled 10 liters of Petrol.
Car stalled again near ITC hotel, 1 KM ahead. But started in few trys. Every time, the Injector Failure symbol came ON following an unsuccessful effort to crank up.

Seems the pump pressure sensor /fuel filter might be the problem .
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:59   #26
BHPian

@motionfreak: For me, the problem was diagnosed as a malfunctioning Air Temp sensor. They changed it under warranty and the problem never came back. Diagnosing and localising the problem was the biggest task, the cure took just 10 mins. The other things checked were the alternator (Changed it under warranty, but no effect, so switched back), the throttle body (cleaned, no effect), the spark plugs ( no problems with those), the lambda sensor, the fuel pump (they said it was generating enough pressure). Get these things checked one by one so the problem can be localised. In my case though, the injector light did not come on, and the car stalled only that once. Then it used to vibrate badly at idle, but did not stall again. Did take 3-4 vists to the TASC to get it fixed though.:(

You might also try a bit of System G to clean out the injectors. If one/ more of the injectors is malfunctioning, I guess it will take a lot of time to replace and a lot of money. Hope that is not the case. All the best and keep us updated on this thread.

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 23rd October 2009 at 10:00.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ motion freak - get the throttle body cleaned and the air filter changed. i am sure the problem will be solved. since it occurs only at low RPM / idle - i think it has to do with dirty / sticky ICV.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:25   #28
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys..

The problem was with crank sensor

The white piece with black wire.

First the mech checked air filter.
I insisted on replacing air and fuel filter. We did it, but that didn't solve the problem.
We went for a trial. When the car stalled, mech checked the ignition coil...something. there was no current. He just slightly adjusted the crank sensor wire and the engine came back to life. but again when it stalled, there was no current at the ignition coil.

We change just changed the Crank sensor and everything came back to normal.

Cost:
Air filter 250
Fuel filter : 120
Sensor : 1200

Total : 1500 /-

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:49   #29

Fiat Palio 1.2 - Random engine stalling / switching off

I have this problem with my Palio 1.2 which is 6 years old and run about 40k km. The problem is that the engine sometimes dies (stalls/switches off) when:

1. I am in the process of changing gears (when I have the clutch pressed)
2. Sometimes when I accelerate or decelerate hard or
3. Sometimes when I drive with my a/c on. In fact now the A/C has stopped working so I don't know if that is related to this or not.

Would any gurus/members know what the problem is? Thanks in advance!

@Mods - I have searched for this issue on the forum and did not find anything on it. If this is a repeat issue, I apologize - please delete.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Check fuel pump relay and ignition coil. These are the most likely culprits.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks