Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 14:38   #31
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks again for all of your replies.

@supremeBaleno, @anurag_p80 -- No, I did not do a tank-full FE estimation. I need some time to try that, unless I go out on weekends to a distant place, I cant know the real FE. Yes, I have checked the air pressure and am maintaining 30psi.

@michael schume -- I'm neither a regular driver nor a fresher. Its just that - I am on and off on driving - say for 7 years. I started off with Diesel Ambassador for long distances and then with Lancer. So within my very limited experience of these 2 cars, I just know how my drive should be. So, its not that I am obsessed with Fuel Bills, Im just coming to know of possibilities of what could go wrong. 2 hours in the forum, I came up with what to check for with the mechanic: eg: spark plugs, injectors, timing belt, ignition coils, etc., Frankly I dont know how it impacts, but atleast I can say something to the mechanic I know.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
In bangalore i think 8-9 will the maximum you can manage. Though some have reported to be getting around 10-11 on the Palio 1.6. Try increasing yourair pressure to 30psi and shifting gears at around 1500-1700 rpm.

On highways with sedate driving you should get around 14km/l on the palio 1.6.

Thanks Gemithomas, GreatDrive for your inputs,

My car has now run 72K which I bought at 53K, I maintain 30psi pressure on all the tires(unfortunately this is not the cold tire air pressure. my car would have run 2 km by then) was shifting gears around 1500-1700 rpm which gave my only 7kmpl for my surprise. Now, I shift around 2K rpm and have observed a slight increase in the FE.

On highways, I drive around 2500-3000 rpm most of the time and never get more than 12kmpl.

Should I need to go for any Engine or throttle body treatment for improving the FE or it is realistic to get this mileage

Last edited by ravikn : 12th March 2009 at 15:30. Reason: Typo
Old 12th March 2009, 15:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Isn't there a Palio 1.1 also ?
Yes that's the reason i mentioned as "had" now the 1.2 is discontinued.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshyamsundar
No, I did not do a tank-full FE estimation.
Then how did you arrive at those FE figures which you mentioned ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshyamsundar
I need some time to try that, unless I go out on weekends to a distant place, I cant know the real FE.
You dont need to go to any distant place for knowing FE. And anyway in that case it would be highway FE. All you need to do is fill the tank up and set the trip meter to zero. Then drive around in the city till the fuel comes to say 1/2 tank or so. Now again go to the same fuel station and the same exact nozzle and do a tank full again. Divide the number of kms shown in your tripmeter by the fuel that went in during the 2nd tank-fill and you get your city FE. As simple as that.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:15   #35
BHPian

@supremeBaleno:

Thanks for your valuble input. I will try it and let know.

Quote:
Then how did you arrive at those FE figures which you mentioned ?
After the first post. My fuel was nearly zero. Infact, it went below the empty marking ( Ok! I now understood, Palio's Fuel meter is not to be trusted ). I then put up fuel for 500rs and then reset the trip meter. I then had some spare fuel in a 2 ltr can and rode the car till it came beloew the empty marking. The trip meter now read 103.8 kms. So, I calcuated with that reading.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael schume View Post
Could you elaborate on this please.
If you run the car with low fuel level in the tank, fuel pressure can drop considerably leading to lean misfires in the engine which result in unburnt fuel to travel to the catalytic converter. This can overheat and crack the converter element and cause its failure/reduced efficiency.
Most car manuals will recommend the same.

As for fuel pump, it normally runs submerged under the fuel in the fuel tank and pumps fuel into the engine. By staying submerged in the fuel, it keep the fuel pump lubricated and cool. Running on low fuel levels will lead to heating, pre-mature failure of the fuel pump. Also more fuel in the tank means less work/stress for the fuel pump.

For the above two reasons, it is advisable to maintain a healthy fuel level in the tank (preferrably quarter tank)
Old 13th March 2009, 13:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Each time you shut the doors and hear the "thud", that takes away 1 kpl.

On a serious note, if I remember correctly, the original pre-NV Palios were under-speedo'ed / odo'ed by some percentage. Do check this aspect out as well.
That was bang on target, hrag; I have read about this somewhere earlier in Autocar and some forum, where because of the different size of the tires which with which the Palio was manufactured here, the odo was showing a slight drop in mileage / kph figures (because it was not recalibarated accordingly) - the prorblem is said to be fixed in NV version. My Palio 1.2 NV ELX gives a fairly consistent mileage (see the file I have uploaded) - my method of calculation is neither tankfull to tankfull or low-fuel warning to low-fuel warning.

I have also been told that "over-clocking" is a common method resorted to by all mfrs - and upto a certain % is allowed by ARAI.

As regards low-fuel warning light - yes, 7-10 litres is what is given in the manual; but there is plenty of fuel left in the fuel line as well as the fuel pump; I have on couple of occasions driven more than 70 kms with the lamp on - I never had the problem of misfiring or jerks or whatever.

Ultimately, FE is not just because of driving habits and condition of the car - equal contributors or the traffic and road conditions, the quality of fuel and the distance travelled each time - I have observed that cars driven on daily basis and maintained well are more consistent in FE than others used occasionally.

I had uploaded the same file earlier for calculating FE, wanted some feedback. because I was thinking of developing this excel file in a form that will allow you to keep a track of everything - FE, maintenance, loan repayment, interest, insurance (with due date reminder), looking for some help and motivation, guys!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Palio.xls (30.0 KB, 710 views)
Old 6th April 2009, 12:48   #38
BHPian

Thanks!

I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable inputs.

As suggested I tried using the tank full method and made 3 trial runs in city and 1 trial run in highway.

On all the cases, the car runs on 75% AC on.

In City: the FE comes around 9.5 - 10., depending on traffic conditions

On Highways: the FE comes around 14ish.

Once again, thank you all.
Old 16th August 2009, 21:57   #39
BHPian

Weird Fuel Effeciency issues.

Hi,

It has been nearly 5 months after buying the car. I do like 50 km drive a day, so over the time, my FE had reduced to 7kmpl., so I left my car for a pre monsoon service.

I had replaced the air filter, engine oil, coolant oil., gear box oil, lower arm, caliper pins, shoes for all the wheels, lining, etc.

I then rode like 300 km, my FE still did not improve, i was getting around 8.2 kmpl.

Last week, I took to millennium motors, chennai and replaced some wire that comes to the oxygen sensor. I did not have time to test the replacement locally, however I took a drive from Chennai to Coimbatore ( ~500 kms). Even at consistently high speeds like ( 100 - 120 ), I got around 15.5 as my FE. But locally in Coimbatore, I got only around 8 again.

I dont understand, how can I get nearly double as my Fuel Efficiency in long distance.

I understand driving style can make a difference. My way of driving is to just the 1st gear so give the vehicle a motion, then use the 2nd gear upto 25 km, 3rd gear upto 35 km, 4th gear after that.

I like my car absolutely - can the members shed some light on what can be done.

Note - In all cases, the FE was calculated using the talk-full method.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you try shifting at higher speeds. Try shifting at around 2.5-3k rpm and check if FE decrease or stay at the same levels.

Since you are getting 15 on highways i dont think there is anything wrong with the car. ITs just that it cant manage the traffic you go through. Do you do short distances. Coz this could happen if the car does not get time to heat up to optimum temperature.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:21   #41
BHPian

@gemi - what constitutes as short distances ? In chennai, i do like 25 kms in morning and 25 in the evening.

Alas in Coimbatore, I dont have long distances to go. Max is like 8 kms a day.
Old 18th August 2009, 20:40   #42
BHPian

@shyam- Are you using AC in b2b traffic? try avoid that and keep switching it.
For my 1.2 ELX I get 11 kmpl no matter how I drive, let it be low rpm or ripping (80 kmph in 2nd gear ).
It comes down to say 9.5 if I use 100% AC in b2b traffic.

I think there is no problem in your car, My Palio use to give 16 kmpl on highway on an average speed of 100 kmph
Old 20th August 2009, 22:19   #43
BHPian

Similar incident happened to my friend also. That time he own petra 1.6 elx. under sedate driving the mileage drops to 8 kmpl. When we had a trip from pune to mumbai @120-140 kmph mileage shot up 15 kmpl. what we found was if we lug the engine below 2.5k rpm there is very poor mileage.
It was very nice, rip the car 3-4K rpm for consistent 12-14 kmpl
Old 29th May 2012, 23:22   #44
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio ELX fuel efficiency issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Similar incident happened to my friend also. That time he own petra 1.6 elx. under sedate driving the mileage drops to 8 kmpl. When we had a trip from pune to mumbai @120-140 kmph mileage shot up 15 kmpl. what we found was if we lug the engine below 2.5k rpm there is very poor mileage.
It was very nice, rip the car 3-4K rpm for consistent 12-14 kmpl
Hi Vijaycool,

Driving the car below 2.5K rpm will give less mileage ?
3-4K will give higher mileage. Dont get the logic here. Can someone explain.
If that was the csae tachometers would be of no use.

I always thought low rpm and corresponding gear= good fuel mileage.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio ELX fuel efficiency issues

Kavesh - there is a nice post by drpullokaran, which says that fuel starts flowing again below 2k rpm if you let go off the accelerator.

Quote:
The GTX has peak torque at 4200 rpm so up shift at 25% above that rpm which works out to 5250 rpm. Though the GTX sings to 7000 rpm it is bound to damage the engine if revved to this level, though I have not heard of any GTX with a seized engine as yet. Down shift at peak torque values.

For fuel efficiency in all cars including the GTX up shift at 20% below peak torque rpm which for the GTX works out to 3360 rpm. Driving the GTX below 2000 rpm is counter productive since auto fuel cutoff in the GTX while decelerating only happens above 2000 rpm. Below 2000 rpm in the GTX fuel is continuously flowing even with your foot off the accelerator.
Source: post number 45

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th May 2012 at 11:04.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks