Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 15:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the decision to have rear drum brakes is a purely cost based. (Drums cheaper compared to Disk brakes)

Source: [COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43857/article.html[/COLOR]
Old 12th March 2009, 17:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
But yesterday a colleague had a different take on this. He said parking brake applies to the front wheels. Reasoning being that when illegally parked vehicles are towed away, almost always it is the front which is lifted with only rear wheels making contact with the ground. If parking brake applied to rear wheels, they won't rotate and tyres would end up getting damaged due to car being dragged along.
You didn't know that the handbrake engages the brakes at the rear,Biju?

Edit: Your understanding is right and it is the gospel truth. You should have rubbished his hypothesis,then and there.

Last edited by nitrous : 12th March 2009 at 17:35.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

nitrous, how come you missed the 1st line of that post of mine - given below ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
This is my understanding too.
EDIT: I knew I was right, but I was looking at the context he mentioned - towed-away cars being lifted usually in the front and rolling on rear wheels.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th March 2009 at 17:37.
Old 12th March 2009, 19:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Very valid point there. BTW how does a parking break work with rear discs.
There are two designs for a parking brake with the rear disk that I know of.
One is using the standard brake caliper alongwith an extra lever attached to a mechanical device inside the caliper piston. The parking brake cable pulls on this lever. The device then pushes the piston against the pads and applies the brake bypassing the hydraulic system.
The other system consists of a mechanical drum brake unit inside the rear rotor. The brake shoes are connected to a lever that is pulled by the parking brake cable.
Anyone know of any other systems?
Old 13th March 2009, 14:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22 View Post
Anyone know of any other systems?
I Think in the Gypsy there is a band which tightens around the propeller shaft. But this obviouslyworks for RWD only
Old 13th March 2009, 15:22   #36
BHPian

I guess, those who say, drum in the rear is as good as disk, own a car with drum in the rear. And most of the cars in India need only disk/drum setup as they are not fast enough to utilize all-four-disk setup.

We all know that the disk at the front is very much beneficial, as 70% if the weight is shifted towards front, but it does not mean that the rear can be weak. Disk at rear would definitely add up to the over all braking performance.
All four disks are much superior than disk/drum setup any day. There are ample information available on internet already

Now how many of you would have said "NO", if your car model came with a choice of drum vs disk in the rear at the same cost. I am sure all of you would have fallen for disk.

If it was not for the cost, I am sure most manufactures would have added disk in the rear too.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:27   #37
BANNED

The main disadvantage with drums is in the wet. While a disc spins itself dry, a drum does not. So if you happen to run through a water puddle then the drums are u/s for quite a bit. I remember being taught to drive some distance with the brakes lightly applied to dry them out after getting them wet. Otherwise in the dry most cars should be quite happy with rear drums.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

^^Sir,drums also fade too soon.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:14   #39
BHPian

This may not be the entire reason for not having discs at the back...Just a thought

Disc brakes very basically are calipers clamping on to the discs when braking is required. This heats up the disc causing it to expand. Now assuming we had discs at the rear , the braking process would be the clamps holding the (expanded) disc tight. When this disc cools off ,it contracts to the origianal size, hence loosening the caliper's grip on the disc. We really wouldnt want the car rolling off.
This expansion and contraction works in our advantage when we use a drum , given that the expanding and then contracting unit is the drum( metal) envelops the calipers.When it contracts the grip becomes stronger.
Im sure there is a by pass solution to this problem now given that there are cars with discs in the rear.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:35   #40
BHPian

If the disk breaks better than drum breaks, then there should be aftermarket options to install them. Has anyone replaced their car's rear drums to disks? Does this need lot of modifications? I've read in some other thread that ABS works better with all four disk breaks.

How much would it cost to replace Swift's rear drums breaks?

I've also seen there is size difference in front and rear disk breaks in some vehicles what decides the break size?
Old 13th March 2009, 19:21   #41
BHPian

@inmate: If that is the logic then the same should apply to the front disk brakes too right? And why would the clamps hold the expanded brakes in the first place? The brakes are not heated until they are applied. They would expand only when they are clamped onto, which would improve the braking performance.

@Limpid: The size difference for the disks is due to the fact that the braking requirement is greater for the front wheels. The same reason why some cars have disks at the front and drums behind.
Old 14th March 2009, 17:03   #42
BHPian

I have never seen the parking/emergency brake work on the fronts - ever.

Found this in Wiki:
"Typically the rear wheels are the ones that are stopped with parking brakes. The Saab 99s, Pre-Facelift 900's, the Citroen Xantia and most early Subarus applied the handbrake force to the front wheels, which makes them notable exceptions."

Another design is to use an extra caliper on the rear discs for parking brakes.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 02:13. Reason: Please see note in post. I think you have been reminded of this before as well.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
I have never seen the parking/emergency brake work on the fronts - ever.

Found this in Wiki:
"Typically the rear wheels are the ones that are stopped with parking brakes. The Saab 99s, Pre-Facelift 900's, the Citroen Xantia and most early Subarus applied the handbrake force to the front wheels, which makes them notable exceptions."

Another design is to use an extra caliper on the rear discs for parking brakes.
Which car uses this type of brakes? with two calipers.
does anyone know how is the parking brake on the city with disc brakes? the previous version of VTEC.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

i think drum also have the habit of locking the wheel. which is very dangerous while driving on hills.

^^
hydraulic handbrakes are also there! i am not sure if city uses that
Old 18th March 2009, 10:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^
hydraulic handbrakes are also there! i am not sure if city uses that
I mean, is it caliper based system or is there a small drum for the parking brake.
Honda used a mechanical [cable operated] brake system on the caliper itself, for operation of parking brake. I want to know what it uses on the city in India? and does anyone [owners] know the price for these?

Most Viewed