Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 00:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Its definitely the gear linkage problem. I am ruling out the GB as of now.
Did you bang your car recenly. If not make do with warranty. as its a relatively new car. Its a must, please read again, a must to excersice the warranty on this as it may be very severe in near future.
Old 25th October 2009, 18:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

A close friend of mine took delivery of his new i10 on Thursday evening, ran 12 kms and after parking his car in his parking lot on Friday evening, could not shift his car from the reverse gear. The brand-new i10 was immobilised in the reverse gear, he could not release it, engage to a forward gear or bring it back to neutral.

He called up the Hyundai helpline on Saturday after retrying releasing the gear in the morning, and the local dealer Modi Hyundai came and towed away the car to their workshop. The car has been in their garage since Saturday midday. They have no diagnosis of the problem yet - apart from mumbling that it may be a gear shift rod/york jam, they also say they will have to dismount the gear box. They have not checked the car till Saturday evening - from my experience with the Matiz (where I have faced a similar problem, but never been immobilised), the gear shift lever rod replacement is a simple task. Modi Hyundai has not even bothered to check whether the rod was the culprit, which they could have chnaged and released the car immediately.

As of now, the car is stuck at Modi Hyundai without any realistic diagnosis or time estimates. They say that they may have to dismount the gear box and if the york is gone, they will have to indent from Hyundai warehouse and that will take time, so no hope of getting the car back till mid-week.

Isn't this fantastic? First, a brand-new car fails in its first 12 kms with the owner. Secondly, the dealer is so callous about the problem, does not even diagnose the problem and has kept the owner in suspense about when he will get his car back.
Old 25th October 2009, 18:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

@hvk, your friend should escalate this to hyundai. Customer care number/e-mail id is on the HMIL website.

From what I tend to hear, they should respond promptly.
Old 25th October 2009, 19:28   #19
BHPian

well, is it a problem with the Kappa engine only or is it generally with all i10 cars! I too have an i10 (iRDE - March 2008 batch). I didnt have such problems (touch-wood). The only issue was that some times reverse gear didnt fall into slot. But this was resolved by replacement of the gear synchronizer. Now it is alright. Some times, once in 100 attempts the reverse gear doesnt fall into slot. But engaging to 1st and then putting it to reverse works.

Guys, this is a little worrying. Can anyonbe educate me with regard to this issue. And also let me know if the gear assembly is different from iRDE and Kappa?
Old 25th October 2009, 19:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend's Indigo once refused to engage the second gear. Our old Zen-D sometimes used to shift to neutral on its own from 5th gear. But this is the first time I am hearing about gear being stuck in the engaged position!
Old 25th October 2009, 20:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

4 i10's i the same thread with the same problem.

My previous Indica Turbo had the same problem. This had clocked 85K though. The shift selector was replaced. I guess you can claim warranty as most seem like new cars.

However, its uncanny this is happening in brand new cars.
Old 25th October 2009, 20:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

The reverse usually gets stuck if you shift into reverse and move your car till the gear stops the car from moving.

Happened once on our Wagon R. I had parked the car on a slope, made the mistake of shifting it into reverse and letting the car roll till the transmission locked (after which i pulled the handbrake). But the prob can be solved by just moving the car in the opp direction (which causes the gears within the transmission to unlock).

If this doesn't work, then you've prob got some design flaw.

Sha2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th October 2009 at 20:09.
Old 17th November 2009, 23:47   #23
BANNED

For the all i10 owners . Hyundai officially knows this problem.

This is happening in i10 (PA) with 1.2 and Kappa Epsilon 1.1 liter engine .

This problem exists in all i10's manufactured between 21-09-2008 and 03-02-2009. Do check with your dealers and get it right FREE OF COST.
Old 18th November 2009, 00:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
This problem exists in all i10's manufactured between 21-09-2008 and 03-02-2009. Do check with your dealers and get it right FREE OF COST.
I got my i10 Kappa in Nov'08 and it gets stuck in reverse once in a while. But, its nothing that bad that i cannot live without it.

I mean, it gets stuck but trying a second time makes it work.
Old 18th November 2009, 02:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars are machines and some flaws do occur, but its bad if the dealer fails to recognise the problem or gives wrong information. As mentioned by wildon this problem has been officially recognised as problem by Hyundai.
Old 18th November 2009, 05:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
hvkumar had posted on October 2009 regarding an i10 with a similar problem which was purchased days back. So, this problem seems to be existing on new cars as well.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:50   #27
BANNED

Yes. The problem still exist and its limited to the 1.1 and 1.2 Engines
Old 18th November 2009, 11:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

This seems a serious issue.
What happened if one goes to outstation/some remote area and got stuck with this problem?
IMO, those who all have even a small problem with gear shifting should write to
Hyundai and get properly checked/rectify the problem.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:18   #29
BHPian

Thanks Wildon for the precious info.
Is there a way that the buyer, when in showroom, can check this ? I mean before taking the delivery. If not, then one really has to pray to GOD before traveling that such thing does not happen to them.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:31   #30
BHPian

My Opel Astra used to have this problem. The gear used to get stuck in the Overdrive. As pointed out by other Members, its a pain! In the first instance, it happend at 11 in the night while climbing the Walkeshwar road in Mumbai. The road was empty and I was in the fifth gear. As soon as I reached Teen Batti to take a turn towards Malabar hill and tried changing the gear, it wouldnt! Thankfully, my house was closeby and my family walked for a km home. This happend once or twice in Delhi as well and I non-chalantly left the car by the road side.

Now as regards the issue, it was a problem with the GEAR SHIFTER which I have got it changed. In case of the I10, I think the shifter needs to be opened and properly greased. Dont expect the shifter to have worn out so soon except for inherent quality problem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks