Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 20:08   #1
BHPian

i10 gear stuck in reverse gear

i have brought a new i10 Magna on jan 18th 2009 from sunrise hyundai.
yesterday, i had a strange problem. my driver while while reversing the car- its gear stuck in the reverse and would not budge from there.
i tried to change pressing the clutch, but of no avail. finally i called up the helpline of capital hyundai, noida which was the nearest center. the guy came and he strugggled for 15-20 min before he could free the grear rod. i am really shocked to find this. the car us now running fine, but i am really fearful that it may get struck somewhere at a odd-time. i am going to the workshop on sunday. can anybody suggest anything? what could be the problem? anyone faced such a problem in i10 or anyother car?
thanks for your comments and views in advance.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:15   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
anyone faced such a problem in i10 or anyother car?
If I remember correctly, somebody on this forum had a problem with Scorpio - gear shifting to neutral at high speeds
Old 13th March 2009, 20:29   #3
BHPian

This is weird. What did the service guy say about it?
Old 13th March 2009, 22:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

this is a serious problem,get your car checked properly by your local dealer,just imagine you had gone out somewhere on highway and you take a rest and your reverse gear stuck again and you have no other option to drive your car in reverse gear its sounds funny but...
Old 14th March 2009, 09:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends relative who got the i10 had the same issue. His 400km run kappa's gear got stuck in reverse and the car had to be towed to the service centre.

They change something and promised that it wont happen again. Guess this is some design / component defect.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
i have brought a new i10 Magna on jan 18th 2009 from sunrise hyundai.
yesterday, i had a strange problem. my driver while while reversing the car- can anybody suggest anything? what could be the problem? anyone faced such a problem in i10 or anyother car?
thanks for your comments and views in advance.
Hey Kunal, sorry that you had to face such a problem. I have faced this problem in my Amby and the cause was diagnosed to be because of faulty gear lever rod and after replacing it the problem vanished. Same problem occured in my wife's Zen and the remedy was replacing the gear lever kit (some plastic bits). hope these pointers would be of some help to you.

Ciao

lifewater
Old 14th March 2009, 12:16   #7
BHPian

Similar Problem

My i10 puchased in July 2008 also has some probem of the reverse gear, the only difference is that it doesnot get stuck but there is lot of difficulty putting it into reverse at times. I told this to my husband who said that it happens while starting the car when it is advisable not to use the reverese gear at the onset, best to start with putting into first then reversing the car.

I have started doing this but during my service, I did mention this to the service advisor and I am not facing this problem. Ask you service advisor to check the gear ratios.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Mansi
Old 14th March 2009, 12:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

oh oh! looks like a hyundai i10 recall is about to happen :-)
Old 14th March 2009, 13:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am hearing about this problem for the first time and is quite shocking. My 4-month old i10 Kappa does not behave this way, thankfully. It is best to get the gear box and other parts completely checked and get it immediately replaced as they cannot shy away from the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
I told this to my husband who said that it happens while starting the car when it is advisable not to use the reverese gear at the onset, best to start with putting into first then reversing the car.
Well, as a habit or supersition or whatever you call it. When i start the car from a parking space where it requires me to back-out, i always slot 1st go forward a wee bit and only then take reverse.
Old 14th March 2009, 18:48   #10
BHPian

thanks

Thanks for your quick replies. i appriciate them. I am going to sunshine hyundai tommorrow to have a check. meanwhile my drove it today approx 70-80 kms today, but no problems. . hopefully it will not be a major problem. do i ask them to change the gear rods or something?
Old 14th March 2009, 18:56   #11
BHPian

similar problem happened to my dad's Amby mark4 when I was a kid. Unfortunately he had to drive for abt 4kms in reverse. I clearly remember, I was kid then and was getting very perturbed as people were staring at us when we were going in reverse.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:23   #12
BHPian

Today went to sunshine hyundai workshop. They changed a gear lever bracket. according to the service manager, the gear lever sometimes while slotting in reverse comes out of the bracket-hole causing the gear to lock in reverse gear. also he said that if the gear lot struck in reverse gear and had it not normalised, then the problem diagnosed would have graver and would have needed to change the gear assembly after opening the gear-box. Seems to be not a uncommon problem - also saw a service circular regarding this. Service manager told me that initial lots of i10 had lots of gear-box problems!!! but now they have resolved those.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Today went to sunshine hyundai workshop. They changed a gear lever bracket. according to the service manager, the gear lever sometimes while slotting in reverse comes out of the bracket-hole causing the gear to lock in reverse gear. also he said that if the gear lot struck in reverse gear and had it not normalised, then the problem diagnosed would have graver and would have needed to change the gear assembly after opening the gear-box. Seems to be not a uncommon problem - also saw a service circular regarding this. Service manager told me that initial lots of i10 had lots of gear-box problems!!! but now they have resolved those.
I had serious problems in shifting to second gear in my i10 (Bought Feb 2008) initially.But,after the second service @ HMP,Chennai,the gear shift has become buttery smooth.A component called shift selector was replaced in the second service.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:15   #14
BHPian

In some cars, the gear shift is a tad hard in the beginning, but becomes smoother with time as the lever travel gets "run-in" for lack of a better word. But getting stuck in a gear is quite bad. Good that it got sorted out. Hope it doesn't repeat, and enjoy the ride.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

initially the gear changing problem was there in my swift but over the time it resolved,i think this was a common problem with all the swift.
but in your case that is quite different,this is something which i never heard.

Most Viewed