Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Left Side drift on my Chevy Spark

Hello members,

I have a Chevy Spark LT (with option) which was purchased in December 2008. The car has done about 2100 kms. From the last 300~400 kms, i have been experiencing a pull issue i.e. vehicle drifts towards the left of the road above the speed of 30km/h. I thought this must be due to the road camber, however the problem continues to be persisting in straight roads as well. So, Called the dealership Udit Motors in Thane and took the vehicle for a solution.

Work done at the dealership:-
Alignment machine not working at the dealership!
The service advisor acknowledged the problem, they removed the left wheel, changed the tyre direction, balanced it and refitted it back. Gave a report that vehicle is OK. After taking test-drive with the service advisor, I pointed out that the problem still persists. Spoke to service manager, he said that any drift which occurs beyong 30 meters is due to road camber. I however said that the pulling occured within 30m distance. He said that it's an alignment problem. Since the alignment couldn't be done, he suggested a centre here. Also he said that they get the cars aligned at the local centre.

Work done at the Alignment Centre: -
The techician at the alignment centre took a test drive and commented that there is considerable pull to the left. After that, alignment was done, and now front tyres interchanged. Pull problem partially solved, however some pull is still there. So the technician said to drive the car for about 500kms and again come for the alignment setting, and that if it doesn't get solved then he might have to do some modification!. He said that this is a design problem with the spark & Aveo Sedan. I was suprised by this statement. Also, he said that tyres were OK.
Questions: -
1. Is there a similar problem experienced by spark owners?
2. Am I stuck with a Lemon?
3. Am I to believe the wheel alignment centre technician?

I came across a member's thread facing a similar problem, but the solution is not known.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-light.html

Please need your help. I have already mailed GM customer service and waiting for their reply.
Old 14th March 2009, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar problem with my U-VA
Thread is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-my-u-va.html
That thread has a lot of useful suggestions by TBHPians which will be applicable to you too.
Is there any uneven wear on the tire.
Old 14th March 2009, 14:54   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply Benji, I don't think the tyre wear is so severe as in your case, will take snaps and upload the pictures. Also, I was very careful with the car due to the run-in period and the car has not taken many potholes. The tyres and wheels (alloys) are stock and the car has not met with any accident so far (touchwood), so don't know how there can be a suspension issue. Will try to jounce the left side to check suspension.
Old 14th March 2009, 16:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Hello members,

I have a Chevy Spark LT (with option) which was purchased in December 2008. The car has done about 2100 kms. From the last 300~400 kms, i have been experiencing a pull issue i.e. vehicle drifts towards the left of the road above the speed of 30km/h. I thought this must be due to the road camber, however the problem continues to be persisting in straight roads as well. So, Called the dealership Udit Motors in Thane and took the vehicle for a solution.
---
Hi Sudipt!! I am also driving spark since last two months. I never faced any drifting problem as defined in your post. The ride quality is as good as I wanted it to be.
The issue in your car can be anything but a design issue.
Old 15th March 2009, 14:20   #5
BHPian

So, I guess it's not a design issue atleast! Now, clicked some snaps of the tyre to identify wear issues. Now the left tyre sits in the right front side and since the tyre direction was changed, it is inside lining. Anyone has a clue? The wear doesn't seem to be too much compared to your U-VA Benji.
Attached Thumbnails
Left Side drift on my Chevy Spark-dscn02810001.jpg  

Left Side drift on my Chevy Spark-vscn02830002.jpg  

Old 8th April 2009, 02:41   #6
BHPian

Pulling Issue Update

I have got the car checked at Udit Motors- Authorised service centreog GM in Thane- who did nothing to check suspension/ steering, got wheel alignment checked twice within 500kms from an alignment centre. Left-side pulling problem still persists. Now the service people say that tyres might be the culprit. Does anyone know of a good authorised service centre of GM in mumbai? How good is Nikhil automobiles?
Old 8th April 2009, 19:06   #7
BHPian

sudipt,

Are you driving on the same roads?. Go for some distance , maybe a long drive towards Mulund and check it out. If it still persists then there are IMHO only three issues viz Camber , Toe in/out and Caster.

Check this site Caster, Camber, Toe

Since you have a new car , Dec 08 , firstly go to the dealer and get pushy at his workshop.Meet the Works Manager. He has no business making you run around. I had a problem with my Santro in 1999 within a month of buying it . The hyundai dealer tried to shrug off his responsibility and tell me in addition that the problem was my imagination. Well , i sent a letter by courier to the President of HMIL . Within a week a got a call from his office , he spoke to me personally. And thereafter it was the dealer who was on the receiving end. Ultimately though i had asked for a car replacement I settled for a complete engine change under warranty with no costs to me . So try this . It works .

Next . check this site Caster, Camber, Toe

Very informative. In my present car ( Accent) i had a similar problem post some suspension work . The car was drifting to the right. Three different alignment centres could nt do anything. Just hit and try and so on and ofcourse when it reduces some , they will tell you that after a while it will be ok !!!

So what you need to do is find a GOOD alignment centre. One that has a four wheel sensor AND which they know how to use and most importantly , they have the space. I have seen in 20 years of driving that most alignment centres dont have enough space to get the car inside and hence use all four sensors or they dont have that equipment ! Even though am sure a Spark does'nt have rear alignment capabilities but go to a centre which has this equipment and they use it. They are far more professional and knowledgeable.

I had sometime back put in the name of a very good alignement centre in south mumbai. Others had put some more centres. Check that thread.

I know how bad it feels to have your new car go this way. Hopefully all will be well soon.

Quote:
I have got the car checked at Udit Motors- Authorised service centreog GM in Thane- who did nothing to check suspension/ steering, got wheel alignment checked twice within 500kms from an alignment centre. Left-side pulling problem still persists. Now the service people say that tyres might be the culprit. Does anyone know of a good authorised service centre of GM in mumbai? How good is Nikhil automobiles?
Old 8th April 2009, 19:35   #8
BHPian

To add on , read the following threads.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post870212

This below is from another thread . They come recommended for high quality alignment machines.

AUTOGRAPHS CARS (I)PVT LTD. (DSP 600)
1-CARPORATE CENTRE.
ANDHERI-KURLA ROAD.
ANDHERI.
CONTACT PERSON--MR RUPESH RELE.
CELL NO--9324252105.

.JMD AUTOMOBILES. (DSP 600)
BANUP-SONAPUR ROAD.
OPP TO SHAMAL CARS.
BANDUP(WEST).
CONTACT PERSON--MR DEE.
CELL NO--9867551873.

.SHREYANS AUTOMOBILES PVT LTD. (HAWKEYE 401)
MANJEET COMPOUND.MANJEET LANE.
OPP DUKES COMPANY.
W.T.PATIL MARG.
CHEMBUR.
CONTACT PERSON--MR CHINMAY.
CELL NO--9819199022.

Quote:
Old 8th April 2009, 23:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

check the following simplest two things, apart from alignment and balancing.
1. Tyre pressure
2. Check for bend rims
Old 9th April 2009, 02:34   #10
BHPian

darthvader, thank you for your inputs. I go to mulund regularly, and the pulling issue has been experienced at flat roads as well (read negligible road camber). In fact, I didn't report the left side pulling problem earlier as I thought I was getting a drift due to road camber.

I think Camber & castor are linked to the suspension and steering axis inclination (SAI) and cannot be set at an alignment centre. Usually the TOE-IN is adjusted

Nice to know that you took up your car problem with the company and got what was due. However, with GM things work differently. All the customer service did was to send mails to UDIT Motors and wrote to me that the service manager will get the problem sorted out. I told them that the service centre does not have a working alignment machine! I have spoken to the service manager several times and all what is going on is passing the buck. Infact, the dealer has stopped sales this month & maybe will wind up the service department soon- So they are not interested to get the problem rectified. They are yet to return me the alignment charges I paid at the local alignment shop as the car is covered under Total Maintenance Plan. The dealership offered to reimburse the amount after writing to GM.

The Alignment centre I went was M/S SENSOR in Thane. They have a CORGHI Italian make machine. They had sensors on all four wheels (which attach on all four wheels with LED's &Bubble levels on them). Still I think your mentioning of rear wheels alignment checks need to be noted as I have felt a lateral force on rear wheels while taking right hand turns- when the rear wheels go over a uneven surface.

JMD is the nearest, so will definitely try them if this can be sorted out.

@SirAlec The tyre pressure has been checked every time wheel alignment was done on my insistence.
Also Wheel rims (Alloys) are OK, as the left wheel was balanced and front wheels were interchanged.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sudipt123

Go step by step.
First, request the dealer to swap the tires from another SPARK and then check.
If it works well then u can conclude it as a tire defect if not, then you will have to get other things checked as well.
Old 9th April 2009, 14:33   #12
BHPian

That makes sense . you should do that first.

Next. About the company. Forget customer care at GM HQ. Pen down a letter directly to the President of GM , India. You can get the address from your service booklet or website. Courier it addressed to The President. Mention in that that the customer care response is not helping. Quote names .Do what you have to. His office will respond. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sudipt123

Go step by step.
First, request the dealer to swap the tires from another SPARK and then check.
If it works well then u can conclude it as a tire defect if not, then you will have to get other things checked as well.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:48   #13
BHPian

Even camber is adjusted at the alignment centre. Most commonly by using in camber bolts. Caster , well not faced the issue so far so cant comment. You could do some research on the net for it.

[quote=sudipt123;1252617]

I think Camber & castor are linked to the suspension and steering axis inclination (SAI) and cannot be set at an alignment centre. Usually the TOE-IN is adjusted
Old 11th April 2009, 12:01   #14
BHPian

any progress . Am intrigued and curious . So do let us know.

Quote:
darthvader, thank you for your inputs. I go to mulund regularly, and the pulling issue has been experienced at flat roads as well (read negligible road camber). In fact, I didn't report the left side pulling problem earlier as I thought I was getting a drift due to road camber.

Nice to know that you took up your car problem with the company and got what was due. However, with GM things work differently. All the customer service did was to send mails to UDIT Motors and wrote to me that the service manager will get the problem sorted out. I told them that the service centre does not have a working alignment machine! I have spoken to the service manager several times and all what is going on is passing the buck. Infact, the dealer has stopped sales this month & maybe will wind up the service department soon- So they are not interested to get the problem rectified. They are yet to return me the alignment charges I paid at the local alignment shop as the car is covered under Total Maintenance Plan. The dealership offered to reimburse the amount after writing to GM.

The Alignment centre I went was M/S SENSOR in Thane. They have a CORGHI Italian make machine. They had sensors on all four wheels (which attach on all four wheels with LED's &Bubble levels on them). Still I think your mentioning of rear wheels alignment checks need to be noted as I have felt a lateral force on rear wheels while taking right hand turns- when the rear wheels go over a uneven surface.

JMD is the nearest, so will definitely try them if this can be sorted out.

@SirAlec The tyre pressure has been checked every time wheel alignment was done on my insistence.
Also Wheel rims (Alloys) are OK, as the left wheel was balanced and front wheels were interchanged.
Old 11th April 2009, 15:43   #15
BHPian

First try doing the alignment and balancing.
Ater that if the issue persists try rotating the tyres from front to back, because I believe its only the front tyres that can cause the drift not the back tyres.
By doing that you will know if the tyre is the culprit.

Last edited by revhappy : 11th April 2009 at 15:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks