Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2009, 00:09   #1
BHPian

To copy a motorbike's speedometer dial

I got hold of this 2 tone(Black print on white) speedometer dial.The dial is opaque and has color print on a metal plate. The owner wasn't ready to part with it so i borrowed it for a day and scanned it to make a copy of it. A friend converted the high resolution scan into a Corel draw file.
Now the question is as to how to get it printed, such that the print lasts.That it does not fade.
Though about getting a plastic sticker made of the design with a screen printer. But I wonder if it would last in the sun.
Could someone suggest as to how to go about printing it or as to what material to print it on?
Old 15th March 2009, 03:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Gendarmee,

A screen print will definitely last longer than any average digital print.

You say it is only black and white - so it will be a simple 1-screen print of black ink on a white substrate.

What material? Vinyl might be the best choice? Though it could really be anything.

Once you get the screen made (the majority of the fixed cost) you can have several printed on different materials as a test, for only a marginal increase in total cost.

Make sure a decent media and inks is used, as that will determine how well it lasts in the sun.

cya
R
Old 16th March 2009, 21:59   #3
BHPian

thanks for the reply'

I went down too the screen printer in the evening. The plan has hit the first road block. The printer isnt ready to do take up the job unless there are at least 1000 pieces. Got to cajole this printer into taking up the job or find a newer one.

I had one more question regarding fabrication. I have a design(2 cm X 7 cm) which i need to get cut on a 0.8mm metal sheet.
...there is this process that i've seen, where a water jet is used to cut through the metal. CAM, may be but im not sure of the name. What exactly is the that process called? and would the process be expensive to take up for a small(70 copies) piece of work?
I've tried getting the shape cut by hand and edges ground, but that doesn't have a good finish to it.
Any suggestions are welcome
Old 17th March 2009, 11:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Gendarmee,

The printer is reluctant because they typically make a screen/s (the fixed cost as i mentioned) and then recover the cost / make their margins on the multiple prints they produce, which isnt happening in this case. However im sure you can reach some sort of $ agreement.

Alternatively! - just thought of this - you could find someone with a digital vinyl cutter (i dont know exactly what its called), but its like a big printer which has a blade and can cut the vinyl in shapes. Most sticker makers have these.

This way, you could just cut the dial out of black vinyl and stick it on a white background. The only thing that is questionable is the resolution of these machines - depening on how small the cuts/print on the dial need to be.

Do you need the dial to be visible at night? ie. will it be backlit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee
...I had one more question regarding fabrication. I have a design(2 cm X 7 cm) which i need to get cut on a 0.8mm metal sheet.
...there is this process that i've seen, where a water jet is used to cut through the metal.
You're talking about water-jet cutting. Which is one option. Another option is laser cutting. Both processes are CAM / CNC.

These are one-off processes, and if you have a decently done CAD/vector/.dwg etc path for your design it should be doable provided you find someone willing (a small enough shop).
Economies of scale dont really apply for lasercutting/water-jetting, other than the time taken to put the CNC path into the machine - as there really isn't too much of a setup required. If youre doing 70 peices (depending on the bed size of the machine) it should be ideal.

Also, i guess you can consider some sort of CNC milling machine -- but i think laser/waterjetting are the better bets for a more intricate design and 70 peices.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2009 at 11:12.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Alternatively! - just thought of this - you could find someone with a digital vinyl cutter (i don't know exactly what its called), but its like a big printer which has a blade and can cut the vinyl in shapes. Most sticker makers have these.
I've tried that. The design is way small to be cut on the machine.

Quote:
You're talking about water-jet cutting. Which is one option. Another option is laser cutting. Both processes are CAM / CNC.
Gave up on the idea of doing those pieces. Tried one out after cutting 0.8mm mild steel piece into shape with steel scissors(dont exactly know what its called, bought one just for this). The straight piece, after cutting, has to be painstakingly bent into an U, S shape at the top, bottom. The problem is that it doesn't keep this shape after being hammered into place. The bends straighten out or dip in with pressure.

Quote:
Do you need the dial to be visible at night? ie. will it be backlit?
No, it isnt backlit. Its lit from the sides. thus, making it easier to copy. Attaching a scan. There are two dials though, not one.

Quote:
The printer is reluctant because they typically make a screen/s (the fixed cost as i mentioned) and then recover the cost / make their margins on the multiple prints they produce, which isnt happening in this case. However im sure you can reach some sort of $ agreement.
Got a one screen printer to do it. twenty copies for a fixed cost. But the quality of stickers were pathetic, went into the trash can right away. Need to find another printer.
Attached Thumbnails
To copy a motorbike's speedometer dial-jawa-speedokmph.jpg  

To copy a motorbike's speedometer dial-jawa-speedomph.jpg  

Last edited by gendarmee : 27th October 2009 at 11:05.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:29   #6
BANNED

I am not sure about cars but for couple of bikes i got it ready made from few online stores including stikers for the digit which shows kms reading, if i remember correctly it was Reproduction Decals Home 1 but again your meter is Indian made so chances are very less to get from these stores.

Most Viewed