Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
I am planning to write about this issue to MUL seeking their help.
Maybe you should mark a copy for the forum for all to understand how MUL reacts!
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:37   #17
BHPian

Sure. I will post the response from MUL as I may receive it.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

What is the most common cost of this happening? This happened to a friend of mine who crashed because his PS failed at high speed. Thakfully he was safe, but it cost him around 2 laks to do up his car (Ford Ikon).Covered by insurance though.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:43   #19
BHPian

At High speed, the impact of PS failure should be minimal as under high speeds, PS will not be in operation. In your friend's case, probably there could be some other compounding issue as well which could have lead to the crash. In any case, I was fortunate as the PS failure occured when I was starting off from a signal stop, and that I was in the front. I could keep driving without PS being operational, but it was much harder to steer.
goldsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 09:15   #20
BHPian

Here is an update to the power steering problem that I had:

I wrote to Maruti about the failure and the intermittent failures even after the replacement of the Module. They collected much details through email and then said that they will forward the complaint to respective department.

In the mean time, the dealer called me up and has requested to leave my vehicle for investigation. They even provided me a spare SWIFT VXi. They took 3 days and am not sure what they did. But they did told me that the vehicle was tested on the road with the diagnostic meters connected on board and they did find some problems with the ECU data. They said, they have reset the ECU data and the vehicle should be fine now.

After this, I have not experienced the intermittent failure yet. At the same time, I have not also heard from Maruti, summarising what was the problem and what they did. I have reminded them to update me with these details and waiting for a response.
Old 18th April 2009, 14:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
Here is an update to the power steering problem that I had:

I wrote to Maruti about the failure and the intermittent failures even after the replacement of the Module. They collected much details through email and then said that they will forward the complaint to respective department.

In the mean time, the dealer called me up and has requested to leave my vehicle for investigation. They even provided me a spare SWIFT VXi. They took 3 days and am not sure what they did. But they did told me that the vehicle was tested on the road with the diagnostic meters connected on board and they did find some problems with the ECU data. They said, they have reset the ECU data and the vehicle should be fine now.

After this, I have not experienced the intermittent failure yet. At the same time, I have not also heard from Maruti, summarising what was the problem and what they did. I have reminded them to update me with these details and waiting for a response.
The dealer/service station should have tested the New EPS and ECU data before making the delivery when you got it repaired.
Seems the old EPS and new EPS you got installed doesn't got tweaked on the first place.
Giants Like maruti should have attended your issue promptly, but seems all they did was to inform the dealer to take care of issue.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:13   #22
BHPian

Re: SWIFT - Power Steering failure

I am also facing a similar issue on Swift VXi, 2006 around 35k km.
I have seen the EPS light come on few months back, but then the next time i started the car, it was working fine. Since the last few days, EPS is consistenly not working, the light is always on. I showed it to CG Motors, Rabale - and they tested the wiring/fuse etc and confirmed that the module is faulty. They told me reparing can cost anywhere between 3-5k (they send to a third party in Goregaon for repairs) and new one will cost around 13k - which is clearly double of what you were quoted!
Thanks for this thread, i will try to take it to some other service center like SK Wheels
Old 16th May 2011, 20:40   #23
BANNED

i thought EPS is more reliable than hydraulic power steering, I have repaired my lancers power steering for RS.7000 from Mitsu A.S.S, they replaced oil seals and worked no rack it seems, Though i tried with duplicate cheap oils seals of Rs.350, it did not last even a day, so got it right with original seal kit which costed Rs.3500 for oil seal kit alone which is from NOK Japan.

At that time i was sad, since my car did not have EPS, since i thought EPS is easily repairable, and less maintenance. But it seems it is complicated than hydraulic.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:39   #24
BHPian

Have you ever had the engine bay pressure washed sometime?
A senior mech at a MASS was telling me about the rising number is EPS failures in Maruti cars when pressure washed (Swift and Alto tops the list according to him). Not sure if its because of the placement of the EPS module or it could be a design issue too.

OT: A friend's Palio was send off for service and a thorough wash at the ASC. The over-enthusiastic lad at the wash section, pointed the water jet directly into the ECM.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:15   #25
BHPian

Yes Jeeva, as part of the service, they do pressure wash the engine bay - have seen it sometimes. Quick question - how would recommend they clean the engine bay if not pressure wash?
Nways regarding the EPS issue, it showed some signs of failure few months back, but then it automatically went away. But now - its totally failed - the power wash could have triggered the problem, not sure.
Old 17th May 2011, 18:02   #26
Team-BHP Support

I dont think the EPS module sits inside the engine bay, its inside the cabin under the dash integrated with the steering column.
Old 27th September 2013, 18:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

While taking a turn into my lane today, The EPS light comes on and the steering becomes rock hard. It starts working on its own again like nothing happened. 2 second later, the same thing happens and it starts working again in 2 seconds while the car is moving. What could this be ? I have taken an appointment with the service station tomorrow.

I had passed through some puddles yesterday and while getting back today from Jogeshwari today too there was some rainfall. What could this be ? I don't want to drive around with a car which shuts off its EPS like that anytime.
Old 27th September 2013, 19:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
While taking a turn into my lane today, The EPS light comes on and the steering becomes rock hard. It starts working on its own again like nothing happened. 2 second later, the same thing happens and it starts working again in 2 seconds while the car is moving. What could this be ? I have taken an appointment with the service station tomorrow.

I had passed through some puddles yesterday and while getting back today from Jogeshwari today too there was some rainfall. What could this be ? I don't want to drive around with a car which shuts off its EPS like that anytime.
Yes Its downright scary to say the least.
Sounds like a battery and/ or battery terminal to me, since I had the same issue and was diagnosed to a faulty aka corroded terminal.
Old 27th September 2013, 20:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Get it checked ASAP. Looks like some loose connection of the unit, motor.
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:26   #30
BHPian

Swift VDI - EPS failure

Hi Team Members,

My new model Swift VDI, with 70868 Kms had a EPS failure.

Last night , had switched off the engine at the traffic signal and when I started the car , the EPS light was glowing and the steering wheel had become very hard making it very tough to drive due to the EPS failure. However managed to cross the signal and pulled over. Tried to restart the car , the EPS failure still continued.

Post 10 mins, tried starting the car and it was back to normal, The EPS started working and the light had gone off also.

Today the same is working fine , would be taking the car to the service station to get the same checked.

Has any one faced this issue recently.

Ps Mods: pls move the post to a relevant thread as the earlier posint on this issue is closed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks