Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 11:50   #31
BHPian

Re: SWIFT - Power Steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
You seem to be right as the EPS has stopped working atleast 4 times while on the drive (after replacing the module). It was alright when I switched off and started all over again. I am planning to write about this issue to MUL seeking their help.
Could you elaborate on the cost of replacement? I have a 2012 SWIFT ZDI and facing the same issue. The warning light has been glowing and no power assistance is available in the steering. It would not get covered in the extended warranty since mileage has crossed the limit.

Last edited by abhjain : 19th February 2015 at 12:01.
Old 20th February 2015, 05:45   #32
BHPian

The glow light went off by evening and all is well now. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 20th February 2015, 07:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

I experienced this with my 2012 Swift an year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Last night I had the cabin lamp switch kept at the ON position but forgot to turn it off when i exited and locked the car. I saw my car again only at 1140AM this morning and thats when i realised the cabin light had been burning all night, so i turned it off inserted the key and tried to start the car half expecting the engine to not turn over. But the engine turned over but without vigour and it started! Then as i was about to drive off i realised the steering was too hard to turn and thats when i noticed that the power steering light was ON.

Since i was in a hurry and since i could still drive without PS I didn't bother to troubleshoot then. I knew it might be because of the weak battery or worst case a blown fuse. Like i believed after some 20Kms and after two shut down start cycle the power steering was back on line.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...w-battery.html

After that incident the power steering failure never happened again for the time i had the car with me.
Old 22nd February 2015, 22:04   #34
BHPian

Thanks for the reply, what's the standard time for a Swift Diesel battery to last? My car will complete 3 years in July.
Old 22nd February 2015, 23:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Thanks for the reply, what's the standard time for a Swift Diesel battery to last? My car will complete 3 years in July.
Your battery is nearing the end of its cycle. If you are seeing any failure symptoms it'd be a good idea to get it replaced now rather than getting stranded in the middle of the road, if you are unlucky that is. As for brand I'd suggest you go with Amaron for obvious reasons.
Old 28th March 2015, 09:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Your battery is nearing the end of its cycle. If you are seeing any failure symptoms it'd be a good idea to get it replaced now rather than getting stranded in the middle of the road, if you are unlucky that is. As for brand I'd suggest you go with Amaron for obvious reasons.

Thanks, got it changed with Amaron. All is well now !
Old 27th December 2015, 12:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Could you elaborate on the cost of replacement? I have a 2012 SWIFT ZDI and facing the same issue. The warning light has been glowing and no power assistance is available in the steering. It would not get covered in the extended warranty since mileage has crossed the limit.
Sorry, for late response, I was off Team BHP for quite some time for no specific reason.

I don't remember the exact cost, but it was about 5K. Even after spending this amount, the problem persisted and I wrote to Maruti, who then directed the dealer to take back the vehicle for inspection. The dealer Khivraj gave a spare vehicle for my use during this one week period. Post this inspection / issue resolution, the issue vanished.
Old 27th December 2015, 12:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, for late response, I was off Team BHP for quite some time for no specific reason.

I don't remember the exact cost, but it was about 5K. Even after spending this amount, the problem persisted and I wrote to Maruti, who then directed the dealer to take back the vehicle for inspection. The dealer Khivraj gave a spare vehicle for my use during this one week period. Post this inspection / issue resolution, the issue vanished.
No problem Sir, in the meantime the issue was diagnosed to low battery. After a battery replacement the issue never occurred again.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:37   #39

On this Monday morning, power steering in my swift zdi (2012 model) stopped working, when I re-started the car in Hebbal, Bangalore signal. The car was only run 37K KM. With great difficulty, I took the car to Pratham motors, Queens Road, which was around 7 KM from Hebbal. I restarted the car a couple of times, in between, to see whether the issue gets resolved itself. But even after multiple restart(stop/start) attempts, power steering icon in the dial remains on.

In Pratham, service advisers were not very keen on the car as they came to know that the car was not there for regular service. Finally I had to meet senior service person (Mr. Pratheesh K) and after a few minutes chit-chat, I persuaded him to have a look at the car. While we were walking to the car, he mentioned that the EPS unit had to be replaced and since the unit was not in stock, he had to order it. All this conclusion/diagnostics happened without even looking/inspecting the car!

Surprisingly, when they started the car - which was lying there for almost 1 hour, power steering was found to be working. I have asked them to run a round of diagnostic checkups to see if everything is alright and left the car with them. At 4 PM, I went to Pratham and saw that the car was parked outside. Service advisor (Mr. Prabhu), told me that some couplings were replaced and the issues are sorted out. But I was sure that they did not even open the bonnet, let alone repairing it.

Lost faith in the competency of Pratham service personnel and took the car with me. Car is running for the past 3 days without any issues.

I have a feeling that the quality of the maruti parts (in this case, EPS module) & quality of the maruti service (Pratham motors, in this case) are substandard.
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit View Post

Lost faith in the competency of Pratham service personnel and took the car with me. Car is running for the past 3 days without any issues.

I have a feeling that the quality of the maruti parts (in this case, EPS module) & quality of the maruti service (Pratham motors, in this case) are substandard.
You should get your car checked again asap.
Power steering failure while driving the car at speed or in traffic can be dangerous.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On this Monday morning, power steering in my swift zdi (2012 model) stopped working, when I re-started the car in Hebbal, Bangalore signal. The car was only run 37K KM. With great difficulty, I took the car to Pratham motors, Queens Road, which was around 7 KM from Hebbal. I restarted the car a couple of times, in between, to see whether the issue gets resolved itself. But even after multiple restart(stop/start) attempts, power steering icon in the dial remains on.
Power steering will not fail so soon and so suddenly. Given that you see a warning light on the console, the EPS module is doing its job and hasnt packed up. Perhaps its a sensor issue and thats causing the EPS module to shut down. Get the vehicle speed sensor checked. Since there was a light, there will most probably be an error code stored. Take it to a different service center.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 19:21   #42

Thanks abhishek46 & audioholic

Power steering issue has not cropped up for the last 10 days.
Waiting to see if the issue re-appears. If the issue occur again, will take the car to other dealers, for proper diagnostics.
Old 8th June 2016, 20:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks abhishek46 & audioholic

Power steering issue has not cropped up for the last 10 days.
Waiting to see if the issue re-appears. If the issue occur again, will take the car to other dealers, for proper diagnostics.
I faced the same issue in my ZDi few months ago. Changed the battery and it never occurred again. Hope you would have checked the battery?
abhjain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 22:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:

1. At 46k KMs, the power steering has failed. While I understand that electric / electroic parts can fail at any time, what is the average life of the electronic power steering?

2. Has any of the Team-BHP members experienced the Power Steering failure?, if yes at what age of the vehicle and was there any definite finding as to why it failed?
Their is nothing known as a certified life for auto-electricals. My Swift's (LXi 2008) power steering failed at 60k KMs and its ECU failed at 78k KMs. For power steering the cost was similar to what you had paid and for ECU I was supposed to shell out around 30-40k, however, I sold my car on OLX. I had installed a third party Chinese cigarette lighter (12V) port in my car, and that was the culprit behind the ECU failure. Power steering failed owing to unknown reasons.

Have you done any electrical modification/accessorize'ion on your car recently? Also, as I was told, it's better to avoid these cheap mobile phone chargers esp. the one's with 5-6 cables coming out, in the car. They are known to mess with the car's electronics. I still wonder why didn't the fuse blow out in my case
BB311 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Auto electronics and electrical systems do not FAIL in this day and age, if manufacturer stated service intervals are adhered to.

If they fail prematurely, it is mostly due to the aftermarket accessories installed by not so knowledgeable people
😃
headers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks