Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2009, 08:42   #1
BHPian

SWIFT - Power Steering failure

On my way to work (driving my SWIFT VXi), I was waiting on the stop line for my right turn signal to come green. The moment I got the go, I accelerated and steered to my right but then to my surprise, the steering was not as usual. It was very hard to steer. I could quickly realize that the Electronic Power Steering has failed, and managed the turn using both the hands (like a truck driver).

I had planned outstation trip on that day, so I have not visited the service garage to check this out. I managed to drive for the rest of the day without Power Steering. I have been driving ALTO VX 1.1 without power steering for about 3 years, but I felt harder to steer my SWIFT without Power Steering. Probably, this is because, I am now used to the Power Steering.

When I visited the Garage after couple of days, I was told that the EPS module has failed and needs replacement and they charged 6,600 (for the part alone). It is working fine now.

I have the following questions for the experts here:

1. At 46k KMs, the power steering has failed. While I understand that electric / electroic parts can fail at any time, what is the average life of the electronic power steering?

2. Has any of the Team-BHP members experienced the Power Steering failure?, if yes at what age of the vehicle and was there any definite finding as to why it failed?

3. Is the EPS module repairable? and even if it is serviceable, is it wise to replace the EPS module than repairing it?

Thanks in advance.

Moderators: I could not find any existing thread on power steering, so I created this new thread. You may merge this with such other existing thread.

Last edited by goldsun : 15th March 2009 at 08:44. Reason: spelling correction.
Old 15th March 2009, 09:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Power steering failure?!! Wow... It is a good quality reliable car.
Old 15th March 2009, 09:38   #3
BHPian

I had a similar problem in my OHC,guess it has a hydraulic power steering.it failed around 80k kms..I later had a problem with steering rack and power steering leak.cost me 35k at Honda service..lucky it was only a eps short-circuit for ya.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:05   #4
BHPian

Wow, this is the first reported EPS failure for Swift on the forum I suppose.
As you have used to car for 46k + kms can u describe the nature of the trips undertaken.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its electronic and like any other parts it may fail. yes! its repairable.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:13   #6
BHPian

Is the car under warranty ? If so, then MASS should replace it free of cost
Old 16th March 2009, 18:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Wow, this is the first reported EPS failure for Swift on the forum I suppose.
As you have used to car for 46k + kms can u describe the nature of the trips undertaken.
My routine drive between home and office through Chennai City roads is around 45 Kms. Once or twice a year, I take my Swift on the highway and usually cover about 1000+ kms in a span of 7 to 10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Is the car under warranty ? If so, then MASS should replace it free of cost
Warranty period has expired in Nov 2008.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
Warranty period has expired in Nov 2008.
Do check the papers to confirm whether car is under extended warranty. Dealers sometimes add on the cost without specific clearance from the buyer.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Do check the papers to confirm whether car is under extended warranty. Dealers sometimes add on the cost without specific clearance from the buyer.
I had one year extended warranty and that too has expired.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm... You must be regretting not picking up a 4 yr/80,000 km warranty at the time of purchase.
Old 17th March 2009, 08:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hmmm... You must be regretting not picking up a 4 yr/80,000 km warranty at the time of purchase.
Does the extended warranty covers all these things ? AFAIK, it covers Engine and Gear box only, as usual, I might be wrong.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Strange to hear of an EPS failure in a swift. Guess MUL's quality levels are taking a dive!
Old 18th March 2009, 11:30   #13
BHPian

My uncle has a 2002 Zen Di which has run more than 90k km, mostly in the city and the power steering is still fine! Maybe you should investigate it a little further and check why the module failed. Was it because of some power surge or short etc.?

@Shahank.A: Maruti Extended warranty covers the electricals as well!
Old 18th March 2009, 13:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Does the extended warranty covers all these things ? AFAIK, it covers Engine and Gear box only, as usual, I might be wrong.
Most extended warranties cover engine, gearbox and electricals & electronics. What they don't usually cover is suspension. For example, the Safari has a 150,000 km/4year warranty, but the suspension is only covered for 45,000 km. All Hyundais have a 4yr/80k km warranty, but suspension is covered up to 60k km. Of course, you pay extra for some of these extensions of warranty. EPS will definitely be covered under any extended warranty - as other members point out, it hardly breaks down.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th March 2009 at 13:14.
Old 21st March 2009, 19:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
My uncle has a 2002 Zen Di which has run more than 90k km, mostly in the city and the power steering is still fine! Maybe you should investigate it a little further and check why the module failed. Was it because of some power surge or short etc.?

@Shahank.A: Maruti Extended warranty covers the electricals as well!
You seem to be right as the EPS has stopped working atleast 4 times while on the drive (after replacing the module). It was alright when I switched off and started all over again. I am planning to write about this issue to MUL seeking their help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks