Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2009, 21:55   #1
BHPian

Chevy Spark - Known issues

Hi fellow-Sparklers,
I have owned a Chevy Spark (LS model) for about a year and 4 months. Have clocked around 10k+ kms. Although it's true that this cutey has one helluva peppy engine and makes for a very easy and smooth ride and is a great city car, but it has been known to have its own share of problems (although not many, I hope) and I thought it would be useful for all current and future Spark owners to share them here. We'll share some of the probs we have faced and how we got it fixed, if we did.

So here's my list:-

1. Digital clock not working - This started right from day 1 and I reported it to the service center. They said it's a known issue in a certain batch of Sparks and replaced it for free in the 2nd service.

2. Reverse gear does not engage when steering position is to the extreme right - Again, service center said it's a known issue in Sparks and UVAs and they lubricated a few parts to make it better, but issue still not completely solved.

3. Engine running but no sound coming - It's too damn quiet an engine. How many of you have tried turning it on when the engine is already running? Well, I guess, you just get used to it.

Well, that's my small list which goes to show how good this car is. But am sure other Spark owners have faced some other probs which you could share so that we know about them beforehand.

Cheers.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Point No.2 is strange. can you show some light on this.

Point No.3 is another case of a driver who thinks instrument cluster and lights are fancy decorative piece. No offence meant though.
Old 16th March 2009, 05:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

#3 is a compliment not a complaint.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2009, 07:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

So, is this an issue list of a compliment list?
Old 16th March 2009, 08:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
3. Engine running but no sound coming - It's too damn quiet an engine. How many of you have tried turning it on when the engine is already running? Well, I guess, you just get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Point No.3 is another case of a driver who thinks instrument cluster and lights are fancy decorative piece. No offence meant though.
Good one. Yup, I have faced such situation. Will try to turn on the engine even when its already on. Everytime I do this, I will make sure that I should remember to see the panel before doing, but you know!!!
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2009, 11:06   #6
BHPian

Well, I owned a Spark LT Optional Pack for about a year, I have now passed it on to my cousin.

In that one year with me she clocked 17k kms, its a wonderful engine, the car looks small from out side but inside it has loads of space and at times people got surprised with the cabin space when they sat in my Spark for the first time.

There was just one known problem to me in the one year of ownership :::

The silver paint on the power window panels started peeling off from two of the panels, was a manufacturing defect, though both the complete panels/switches were later replaced free of cost
Old 17th March 2009, 02:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow-Sparklers,

So here's my list:-

1. Digital clock not working -
2. Reverse gear does not engage when steering position is to the extreme right -

3. Engine running but no sound coming -

Cheers.
About your points:-
1. No problem with the clock, maybe batch specific as you said.
2. Tried engaging the reverse gear after turning steering fully to the right- no problems experienced. Must add that engaging reverse in general is little difficult, I have to engage first and go slightly ahead then engage reverse gear on many occassions.
3. Very refined- true. except for humming sounds at some rpm's maybe it's the engine/ or suspension noise going over cement paved blocks (interlocking sections).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Point No.2 is strange. can you show some light on this.

True, in the spark it's very easy- just look at the banana console, though I admit I cranked once while the engine running as I have a tendency to stall the car while reversing. (Indica diesel hangover)

4. Another point I observed is that the car jerks at low rpm's when trying to accelerate- without using clutch.
5. If a/c is on, at low rpm's- the compressor shuts off and restarts when rpm rises- I think this is a safety feature.

This makes me think, should we use the clutch in low rpm situations in the spark? Pardon for this noob question, actually trying to switch from diesel to petrol car.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:16   #8
BHPian

Point No.2 - Reverse Gear not engaging easily - The best cure seems to be time.

I had the same problem with my UVa. At the re-assurance check up, first service and a couple of other times when I went to the service centre, the service engineer just nodded his head and I got the car back with no improvement.

But after 10 to 11 K km, the frequency of the problems dropped by a huge extent and after a couple of thousand km more, it almost disappeared and only comes up very very occasionally. Great improvement considering it used to happen almost every day when the car was new.

One tip - try to "feel" the reverse gear slotting into place. If it seems to have travelled a shorter distance before the stick stops, you will usually find that it hasn't engaged properly. But I found that if I move it to first and then try again, it would slot in more easily.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:19   #9
BHPian

Guys,

I am seeing a strange problem in my spark the last couple of days and want to get some expert opinion.

I hear some engine running sound coming from my car even after stopping and switching off the engine and removing the keys for a few seconds. This happens only when the car is driven for say about half hour (few kms) and not when the car is started and stopped immediately or run for about few minutes. Is this normal or is anything wrong?.

If you need additional inputs, let me know.

Thank you.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:29   #10
BHPian

That is the fan running. No problem with that.
Old 7th July 2009, 21:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
That is the fan running. No problem with that.
Thank you for the clarification. I was initially worried when I heard that sound.
Old 29th July 2009, 07:09   #12
BANNED

issues reg chev spark ....any update

I read this issues reg chev spark . looking for more info on this & any solution.

1) Try jamming your brakes on a straight road(Make sure there is no vehicle either infront or behind) @ 40 - 50 speed and check if the Car stops immediately.
2) The alternator makes noise when I put the headlights on while the car is in idling mode. similarly when I operate the other accessories.
3) The accelerator goes forward by itself even when I do not press it while the car is moving smoothly on a straight road!!
4) The lights go dim when I raise the power windows. The lights flicker when the car is in idling position.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:16   #13
BHPian

devnull, my friend owns a spark and he tells me that there is some complaint about the speed-o-meter. What it does is that it doesn't gradually increase as the speed, but it does oscillate wildly and after some time, it kind of settles at zero and then onwards, there is absolutely no movement.

When my friend checked with GM ***, they did say that they have been getting quite a few complaints about it and they don't have the spares to fix it.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Reverse gear does not engage when steering position is to the extreme right - Again, service center said it's a known issue in Sparks and UVAs and they lubricated a few parts to make it better, but issue still not completely solved.

Both above problems are there in UVA too. But for reverse gear I had later found a knack. It's some sort of throwing the gear. Can't explain by words.

Cheers!
Old 29th July 2009, 13:13   #15
BHPian

For the reverse gear on my U-VA -

1. Normally push the gear stick to the reverse position. It does not engage.
2. Keep my hand on the gear stick firmly, pushing it in place.
3. Slowly take my foot off the clutch.
4. Gear slots into place.

It has taken me a while to master this move.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks