Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2009, 22:22   #1
BHPian

Jerks above 1500 rpm in Ford ikon

I need some help with diagnosing a peculiar problem with my ikon before I rush to the ford dealer (who will most probably ask me to replace the fuel pump and some other parts).

When I start my ikon, there are absolutely no issues. The engine fires up on the first crank and idles smoothly as before. I slot it in first and drive off gently, it behaves normally. But when I press the accelerator a little bit more, the car starts jerking. It's as if either fuel supply is not regular or if the ignition timing is not perfect.

Let me clarify, the car doesn't shudder, splutter or misfire. The car doesn't come to a halt. It always starts up with the first crank. If I don't rev the car, the engine doesn't die out. It's just that there's a mild but perceptible jerk when I press the throttle. If I stay below 1500 rpm, there is no jerking, the car behaves normal but after that the jerking starts.

Are there any other issues apart from a fuel pump issue that may be causing this erratic behaviour?

A few points to consider-

1. My car has never run out of fuel, I always tank up between quarter and half tank.

2. The car was serviced recently and has not done more than 600 km after the service so we can rule out clogged air/fuel filter.

3. The car was parked still for about a month while I was away. And the problem didn't start immediately after I came back. I used the car for about 2 weeks and there were absolutely no issues, it was only a couple of days ago when the problem started.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

I suppose throtle-body cleaning should help solve this. PM Jaggu with a link to this thread, he would defintely have a solution.
Old 15th March 2009, 23:13   #3
BHPian

Check the Throttle.

Remote chance that it can be the Valve clearence that needs adjustment. I was facing a similar issue in My XETA- Adjusting the Clearence solved it.
Old 15th March 2009, 23:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Does this happen all the time or for a short peroid of time (say 30-40secs).

Shan2nu
Old 15th March 2009, 23:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

The throttle. Recently this was done in friend's Ikon ( he runs a shop and will fill up from any place ).
Moreover look for injectors also. Clogged injectors can also lead to this, as was the case with the Ikon I have mentioned above.
And we cannot rule out the fuel filter. If you have filled in fuel after servicing, there are chances of the fuel quality being bad.
Old 15th March 2009, 23:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

check the spark plug. since you already changed the various filters.
Old 15th March 2009, 23:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think its the ignition coil thats gone. If that is the case, be prepared to shell out around 6k at an authorised Ford service center.
Old 16th March 2009, 01:24   #8
BHPian

Fuel is suspect check the fuel filter. If pump was an issue, it would take a few minutes before it starts again (is that happening?)
Old 16th March 2009, 03:36   #9
BHPian

benbsb29/wolfinstein:
Will surely get that done.

Shan2nu:
It happens all the time. And the jerking is pretty uniform, it's not sporadic.

SirAlec:
Will get the spark plus changed as well though they were changed during the last service (approx. 600 km ago).

Eddy:
It could be the ignition coil as well, but wouldn't that cause more serious problems? Like starting problems, or the engine shutting down momentarily? I have absolutely no other issues except the continuous jerking after 1500 rpm.

gr8guzzler:
The car starts on the first crank every time, do you think it still may be a fuel pump issue?

Last edited by Astleviz : 16th March 2009 at 03:39.
Old 16th March 2009, 07:50   #10
BHPian

The ignition coil is a known issue with Ikon, check it as it might be the case. I had a similar issue (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post884879 ) and i got fixed when i changed my ignition coil. Also, do you see any sudden change in the rpm (fluctuate) when you get jerk ?

Last edited by mail4loys : 16th March 2009 at 08:05.
Old 16th March 2009, 07:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

check if your fuel line is not sucking in air somewhere in addition to the above!
Old 16th March 2009, 10:48   #12
BHPian

Most likely the IC valve, the dealership will know the problem. I had it on my ikon multiple times
Usually the clean it out but finally you will have to replace it.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:40   #13
BHPian

mail4loys:
there is no fluctuation in the rpm. The jerking happens all the times, with the AC off as well as on.

genesis:
what exactly is this IC valve? and where is it located? I'll bring it up at the service station and get it cleaned as well.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Astleviz, I had a problem with my ikon. But that was when it was idling.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...when-idle.html

Yours may or may not be a problem with the ignition coil.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:23   #15
BHPian

@astleviz wrote:
"genesis:
what exactly is this IC valve? and where is it located? I'll bring it up at the service station and get it cleaned as well"

It is in an assembly close to the engine block easily accessible when the hood is opened. Cant describe exactly where, but it is not a major thing to get out and clean.
Pretty well known problem with an ikon, the service center will know exactly where it is (they better!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks