Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 09:13   #1
BANNED

Clutch plate Zen Vxi

Yesterday I went to my mechanic after long time for casual meet ( to maintain relation ) and to chk my vehicle ( Maruti Zen VXi 2003 model ), he drove the vehicle for 10 / 15 feet and told me that your clutch plate is in last stage, it can go any time, you shd change it, I asked him what would be charges for the same, he said it would be 3000 Rs and Clutch will be of S.R company ( he claims that’s a original part ) , my Question can any mechanic comment about clutch after driving vehicle 10 / 15 feet, I drives this vehicle regularly ( 56km) , I never felt any problem is there? Only off late car takes more time to take a speed when A.C is on, also car achieves max speed of 115km /hr ? also if at all I need to go for clutch plate change is 3000 Rs id right price ? what all parts shd I get change clutch plate / pressure plate ? between my car has run total 63,990 km till date and I am getting 16km /lter Fe.E in Mumbai City ( w/ o A.c) and with A.c its 13.5

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 16th March 2009, 09:54   #2
BANNED

Yes. An expert can judge the state of the clutch by driving.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Only off late car takes more time to take a speed when A.C is on, also car achieves max speed of 115km /hr ? also if at all I need to go for clutch plate change is 3000 Rs id right price ? what all parts shd I get change clutch plate / pressure plate ? between my car has run total 63,990 km till date and I am getting 16km /lter Fe.E in Mumbai City ( w/ o A.c) and with A.c its 13.5
The mileage is around that for a Zen..for clutch replacements and an expert can make out within minutes he is in the car!
Old 16th March 2009, 11:13   #4
BANNED

3000Rs for Cluth plate ok ?
Old 16th March 2009, 11:23   #5
BANNED

how much labour charge shd i pay to change clutch plate ?
Old 16th March 2009, 11:35   #6
BANNED

Make sure that he is including the release bearing and that he is changing the entire assembly.The price looks about Ok.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:01   #7
BHPian

It would not be a SR but a Ceekay (CK) set. Entire assembly, including the bearing plus the labor should be around 3k mark.

And if your max speed is only 115, then there is something wrong for sure.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

i think u get the original MGP clutch set, which nowdays is manufactured by Valeo. Ceekay also manufactures the same for MUL. the difference is that valeo has 4 springs and ceekay has 6. many mechanics say that the performance of Valeo must be better.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 16th March 2009 at 15:19.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

MGP clutch plate for the zen with all the fitting is max 2.3k and labor is around rs500 as the entire gearbox has to be removed and its advisable to get the clutch bearing changed/ checked as well
Old 16th March 2009, 19:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i think u get the original MGP clutch set, which nowdays is manufactured by Valeo. Ceekay also manufactures the same for MUL. the difference is that valeo has 4 springs and ceekay has 6. many mechanics say that the performance of Valeo must be better.
I might be wrong, but I got one changed from my Esteem few months back. The brand valeo was not available in market and I am talking about Karol Bagh. When you asked for Valeo, they give you PHC, it might be trhe new name for valeo or something, not sure about it. However PHC was Rs.600 cheaper than Ceekay and ceekay is the OEM clutch now, or atleast this is what I was told by N number of people.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:39   #11
BHPian

Read More

Nicejits,

I faced a similar question (whether to overhaul clutch or not) for my 2001 Zen Lx recently. The MASS service advisor drove the car ten feet and said "Arrey, yeh clutch toh poora gaya hua hai" ("This clutch is fully gone.") Whereas my local mechanic said the clutch was fine.

To help me understand more on the issue and decide which person was bulls***ting me, I first studied the Wikipedia page on what exactly a clutch is, and how it works. The diagrams were a little confusing, but I eventually figured out what they all meant. Clutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I then did a web search for "how know clutch worn". What I learnt, in essence, was that the hallmark of worn clutch plates is NOT difficulty in depressing the clutch pedal or engaging gears (as I'd always thought they were; those are signs of clutch cable or gearbox/transmission problems), but delay in accelerating when the pedal is let out. Worn clutch plate(s) will not engage each other / the flywheel properly, due to less friction. (Wearing out = the plates become smoother.) If the clutch is worn the car will not accelerate as much as should be expected for that engine speed, or the rpm will be higher than normal for a given speed.

Given that the Zen doesn't have a tachometer, you could try some of the tests mentioned on this thread: How do you tell you have a worn out clutch? - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum to satisfy yourself about the condition of your clutch. It took me only one try at suddenly letting out the clutch pedal in second gear at high revs, and seeing the car leap forward, to figure out that my clutch is fine. (45k on the odometer.) Do remember to do keep the a/c off when assessing, though!

If I'm talking through my hat here, knowledgeable members please feel free to correct me.

But if you do decide to go ahead with the clutch overhaul, the price quoted seems fair. You could check out my thread at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-queries.html for further reading.

Good luck!
Old 16th March 2009, 19:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I might be wrong, but I got one changed from my Esteem few months back. The brand valeo was not available in market and I am talking about Karol Bagh. When you asked for Valeo, they give you PHC, it might be trhe new name for valeo or something, not sure about it. However PHC was Rs.600 cheaper than Ceekay and ceekay is the OEM clutch now, or atleast this is what I was told by N number of people.
its just yesterday that i was hunting for ceekay clutch in the MASS in pune. we opened 6-8 boxes from different lots. all were valeo in the MGP boxes. one older mechanic said that Ceekay has 6 springs which is better while other engineers said that Valeo is good. then i went to a local garrage who fit only the original parts. That box also contained Valeo. he also said valeo will be better. then at last he said " Sir aap ceekay ka market se leker ana, hum bithake dege,lekin clutch jaldi gaya to no-waranty"

now someone who has experienced both can tell which is better. the 6 springs or the 4 springs.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The mileage is around that for a Zen..for clutch replacements and an expert can make out within minutes he is in the car!
But it is diificult to identify the problem within untill the assembly is opened. I can be wrong here.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

whats the kms on the oddo.!

Even you can make out if the clutch is worn or not. If you feel if the car is revving hard but not going fast enough in 4th or 5th gear. its slippage.

Also you can use the handbrake test, mentioned here numerous time in this forum.

BTW valeo is very good and surpasses way beyond ceekays life cycle. But also its the Driver and driving style that determines the Clutch life.
Old 17th March 2009, 08:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
now someone who has experienced both can tell which is better. the 6 springs or the 4 springs.
I dunno the logic behind it, but if you count the numbers Ceekay has 8 springs. the four you see have another spring each in them,a smaller size one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks