Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 16:06   #46
BANNED

Re: Symptoms of tyre puncture in tubeless tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
The moment I stepped out, I saw that the front right side had a flat tyre, What then came as a shocker was that there was a small cut in the tyre(not on the side wall), probably 2-3 mm and when he checked for nails, there were only small glass fragments that popped out.

If a glass piece can cause this, then driving over shattered window glasses, that we often see on roads is also a cause of worry? or is it not? Please advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
It was a early morning drive, no broken glasses anywhere but couple of construction sites that I drove over, thinking I may
You are getting too worried buddy.

The glass piece unless to sharp can't cut through the tyre that easily. You must have driven over some metal piece (run over from the construction site) which would have made the cut. Nothing much to worry.

Anurag.
Old 14th June 2016, 09:37   #47
BANNED

I Bought the Michelin Pilot Street tyre about 2 months ago and had my first puncture yesterday, to my surprise it was like 4 inch nail which had pierced inside! Repaired it yesterday and today morning the air was all out again. Took it to the tyre shop and he said that the Nail has hit the tyre beading and it is damaged. The guy suggested to either get a tube or get a patch done for about 800 rupees. I don't want to put the tube on this particular tyre because this is one of the best tyre that money can buy for my Pulsar 200 NS. Any suggestions what should I do ??

Last edited by Eddy : 14th June 2016 at 19:52. Reason: NS = Pulsar 200NS for better clarity
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:16   #48
BHPian

Beware of the puncture repair and air filling wallas.
They have a direct aim to sell tubes, valves and repair puncture after making one.
I have experienced many times that these fellows when noticing very low air in your tyre will pierce a thin hole while filling air or damaging your tubeless valve and then charging Rs 200 for the new valve and Rs 150 for the puncture. Sometimes they will force you to put tube in tubeless tyre.
Once your tyre is pierced by them to create a puncture then the sturdiness of the tyre quality is lost as the piercing also damages and disturbs the steel mesh inside the tyre.

If you notice that the air is leaking from your tyre very frequently, just pick up a water spray bottle and spray water on the tyre of the car. It will show you of any leakages. Most of the times the leakages are from the rim and tyre joints due to rusted rim. In such cases the rust has to be cleaned and then the leakage stops.
Old 21st February 2017, 16:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

My Honda Mobilio's Right rear tyre has a weird problem for the past 6 months. The air pressure goes down and stays at 29 Psi. I always fill it up to 43 Psi as per the manufacturer sticker. There have been 2 punctures previously which was repaired by the rubber stick type much before these symptoms appeared. About 2 months back I took it to a tyre expert and he showed that there was some leakage at the puncture sites and changed them to mushroom type. He demonstrated no leak. But the problem persists. I check pressures every 2 weeks and It's always down to 29 Psi. Even if I check after 2-3 days. What could the problem be?
Old 21st February 2017, 18:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My Honda Mobilio's Right rear tyre has a weird problem for the past 6 months. The air pressure goes down and stays at 29 Psi. I always fill it up to 43 Psi as per the manufacturer sticker.
1.Where and at what time do you normally top up the air to 43 psi?
2.When you check the air pressure two weeks later and find it to be 29 psi, where do you do it and at what time?
3.How about the other 3 tyres and the spare? Do you notice any changes?

If the tyre, valve and wheel are alright, the answer to the mystery of the disappearing air could lie in your replies to the first two queries.
Old 21st February 2017, 19:08   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the problem persists. I check pressures every 2 weeks and It's always down to 29 Psi. Even if I check after 2-3 days. What could the problem be?
Get it checked again, there seems to be some minor leak. You might want to inflate it to 45 psi and do a thorough leak test (ideally submersed one). Do check sidewalls also for any fine cracks which gets enlarged when the weight is transferred during the tyre roll.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 21:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

my experience
Front tyre - had no idea why car was pulling to the left. made a mental note to get the wheel aligned. Maybe its the road. waited until i hit a highway. Still pulling even worse. Steering also feeling heavy. alarm bells went off. got out and checked, the front left was truly flat!
Rear tyre - My upsized tyres are dangerously close to the wheel arch cladding. If even a stone gets stuck in the groove, a tick tick sound matching the speed of the car shows up. Usually catches nails etc as soon as they get caught
Old 21st February 2017, 22:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
1.Where and at what time do you normally top up the air to 43 psi? Shell bunk near work, when I fuel up.
2.When you check the air pressure two weeks later and find it to be 29 psi, where do you do it and at what time? Same bunk usually, again when I fuel up.
3.How about the other 3 tyres and the spare? Do you notice any changes? They lose about 1 Psi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get it checked again, there seems to be some minor leak. You might want to inflate it to 45 psi and do a thorough leak test (ideally submersed one). Do check sidewalls also for any fine cracks which gets enlarged when the weight is transferred during the tyre roll.
The tyre guy inflated to 50+ and checked confirming the leak at one repaired puncture site. Changed both puncture repairs to mushroom type and rechecked for no leak.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 22:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre guy inflated to 50+ and checked confirming the leak at one repaired puncture site. Changed both puncture repairs to mushroom type and rechecked for no leak.
Its good to hear about the problem being identified and addressed. However,

Quote:
The air pressure goes down and stays at 29 Psi. I check pressures every 2 weeks and It's always down to 29 Psi. Even if I check after 2-3 days.
the mystery of the magic number 29 still remains .
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:47   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
the mystery of the magic number 29 still remains .
I also wondered earlier about such mysteries and eventually got to fixing it also. It is quiet simple, there is a leak in the system which is active till this psi, so it is a very very minor leak. To catch it one would need lot of patience and checking and double checking.

I have come across thorns stuck on the tyre thread, sand at beading side wall, very small crack on sidewall, leaks at neck etc causing similar issues. Only way to find it is fill it, dip it and trace the bubbles!
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I also wondered earlier about such mysteries and eventually got to fixing it also. It is quiet simple
. Very convincing explanation. This is where experience counts. Thank you.
Old 26th September 2017, 19:18   #57
BHPian

My petrol Amaze with 15k on ODO runs on all JK tyre vectra tube less and an unused spare. Last Thursday when I was on Hyderabad to Vijayawada highway, after doing more than 100km from Hyderabad, I have suddenly felt a weird sound from my right rear tyre. I have stopped the vehicle instantly and surprised to see the completely flat tyre with two holes on the side wall.

Luckily found a road side puncture wala who quickly changed the wheel with spare and commented that I have driven the car for more than 50km with flat tyre. He also identifed a huge nail that caused the puncture in the tyre. I have shocked with his statement as I have not identifed any symptoms other than the weird sound in the tyre just one minute before I stopped.

After going home, I have replaced the side wall damaged tyre with a brand new one. The tyre which I have lost has still 80% of thread left, unfortunately.

Last edited by Hickstead : 26th September 2017 at 19:32.
Old 28th April 2018, 11:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

I was facing loss in tyre pressure in one of my tyres and took it to the local garage. He identified the leak from a previous puncture fix . There were small bubbles from the resin area where a puncture fix was earlier done quite sometime back. He made another fix and told me to monitor the pressure. He also told me that if this started to leak again , it would not be reparable and would need a tube to be fitted.

Has anyone experienced a leak from a previous puncture fix ? I never imagined that a fix would start leaking again - maybe the job wasn't done properly ?
Old 28th April 2018, 15:24   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I was facing loss in tyre pressure in one of my tyres and took it to the local garage. He identified the leak from a previous puncture fix . There were small bubbles from the resin area where a puncture fix was earlier done quite sometime back. He made another fix and told me to monitor the pressure. He also told me that if this started to leak again , it would not be reparable and would need a tube to be fitted.

Has anyone experienced a leak from a previous puncture fix ? I never imagined that a fix would start leaking again - maybe the job wasn't done properly ?
Unfortunately, it can happen. If the original puncture was slightly bigger then the patch would have held for a bit. It could have opened up slightly after a few hundred/thousand kms.

This is unfortunately common. Nothing to be done but to change the tyre. DO NOT use a tube in a tubeless tyre. A tubeless tyre isnt designed to deal with e extra friction and heat generated by a tube. It can be disastrous if it fails on the highway.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 17:18   #60
BHPian

Very informative.
On a related note, could someone educate us whether in peak summer conditions ( its already 40 degrees C plus in North India) one needs to stick to the recommended tyre pressure of the manufacturer. Shouldn't we make allowance for extreme hot weather conditions? And if so, by how much?
My apologies in case issue has been covered elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks