Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 10:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

The causes can only be:
1. Puncture (sometimes, even if 1 nail is found, there can still be another. Only way is to remove the tyre and manually check the entire inside.)
2. Leaking valve
3. Bad/rusty rims.
Any decent tyre fellow will be able to identify and fix 1&2. Fixing of the 3rd is more costly - obviously one has to change / repair the wheel.

Of course fixing a tubeless tyre puncture is more expensive than a tubed one - usually costs Rs. 80-100 in Mumbai vs. Rs. 40-50.

On a side note: Anybody has tried the new aftermarket tyre pressure monitoring systems available? In US/Europe, I believe these systems are now mandatory for new cars.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 20th March 2009 at 10:50.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
3. Bad/rusty rims.
I had my first tyre puncture after 3 years. To my horror,taking out the tyre took 25 mins coz of extensive rust. I normally service my car every 6 months. Shouldnt they remove the wheels and apply grease?

Any idea how much it takes to change the wheel?And is it risky to drive with those rusty rims?
Old 20th March 2009, 11:05   #18
BANNED

Grease with a rubber tyre -mama mia ---- never
Old 20th March 2009, 11:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
I normally service my car every 6 months. Shouldnt they remove the wheels and apply grease?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Not greasing the rubber tyre, he is talking to grease the nuts to prevent it from getting rusted.

Last edited by gowda79 : 20th March 2009 at 11:22. Reason: Grammar Correction
Old 20th March 2009, 15:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^^Just the nuts?? Do they even rust? I think he means the rims. If its just the nuts, then have't the tyres been rotated in the last 3 or so years???
Old 20th March 2009, 16:19   #21
BANNED

Sorry I goofed. Obviously they were not rotating the tyres or something. Also, using power tools to tighten the nuts is an invitation to disaster. they should only be hand tightened.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2009, 16:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Just the nuts?? Do they even rust? I think he means the rims.
Yup...I meant the rims
Old 20th March 2009, 17:18   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've found a very thin coat of SILICONE grease or spray (not petroleum / Vaseline based) helps to stop a tubeless tyre from leaking slowly at the rim. I use an air turbine spray that is used in dental handpieces - agreed, it's mighty expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Not greasing the rubber tyre, he is talking to grease the nuts to prevent it from getting rusted.
Not happy about grease or oil on the threads before tightening the wheel nuts either - prefer the silicone oil spray if the stud is showing signs of rusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Yup...I meant the rims
Rust on the rims? Paint them! Lots of proprietary spray cans are also available in the markets - there's no rusting problem of rims that a quick round of sandpapering and a spray of NC paint won't fix...
Old 20th March 2009, 19:28   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, they found a puncture in my suspect tyre, it seems. Time will tell; I wasn't there to see.

Apparently, I now have four tyres full of nitrogen too! For that there was a charge of Rs200. When we complained they said, please to see the end of the bill, they realised it was not asked for and had been credited.

I'd better go and see the Nitrogen thread and find out what it is supposed to do for me!
Old 20th March 2009, 19:33   #25
BHPian

checking out a bent rim and a faulty valve should be easy i guess. Maybe a dumb suggestion, but get a hose and pour water around the rims and valve slowly, that way you will get to know of any issues with leakages. If you dont find any of that then rest assured it could be a puncture.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Symptoms of tyre puncture in tubeless tyres

Dear Guys,

Can someone suggest a good Tubeless puncture repair shop in South Delhi. My car's left rear tyre is loosing 12psi in a span of 7 days. Can't see any visible nail or anything. Can it be a leaking rim? In that case should I go to a tyre shop (if so please suggest a good one) instead of a puncture shop.

Thanks in advance. help.

Regards

Vinu
Old 5th June 2011, 14:03   #27
SCH
BHPian

I had a problem in one of the front right tyre where I was loosing 10 psi in fifteen days. Got the valve changed but the issue remained. Finally got a through checking of the tyre done, and the culprit was a very small puncture in one of the small tyre bidding which had opened very slightly ... there was apparently no nail.

It really took five minutes to detect that puncture, the key is go in the early morning to the puncture shop as then those people have ample time as there is not much rush and you can get the tyre checked in peace and with patience.
Old 6th June 2011, 00:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Dear Guys,

Can someone suggest a good Tubeless puncture repair shop in South Delhi. My car's left rear tyre is loosing 12psi in a span of 7 days
Guys,

Problem solved. It was a puncture created by a half inch small iron piece. Puncture was repaired at Petrol pump near the strating of Defence Colony flyover (when drive towards CGO from Moolchand). Took 10 mins and charged Rs.50/-.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 31st January 2013, 15:17   #29
BHPian

Hello guys, seems I too have a similar issue. I have to explain it with brief history as well.

Once I had hit a pothole at a high speed of around 80/90. The wheel rim was bent a bit but tyre did not lose air. Luckily, next day only I had regular service scheduled so I asked he mechanic to check and correct the wheel rim. He corrected the rim and said there is no issue with the tyre. After this servicing, I did wheel rotation and the said tyre was put on the rear side.

This tyre used to lose about 2 psi per week when it was doing duty at the rear side. But the other 3 hardly ever lost any air. I regularly fill fuel every week so was monitoring this tyre. Now after 5k kms, I had rotated the tyres. This tyre is at the front now. It's been two weeks and the tyre is losing air quite fast. Last week it lost about 5 psi in 5 days and now it has lost 8 psi this week. So today I took out the wheel from car to inspect if there are any nails. But the visual inspection did not result in finding any nails. So my question is, would this tyre be losing air from the sides? Or putting it at the front has increased the rate of losing air? or there could be a puncture.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I goofed. Obviously they were not rotating the tyres or something. Also, using power tools to tighten the nuts is an invitation to disaster. they should only be hand tightened.
Perfectly said. I myself had been a victim of this 'tools' to tighten the wheel nuts not for once, but THRICE.

Twice from Authorised service center and once from Appollo tyre showroom. All three happened while on various instances of wheel alignments. All instances, I had to use the Spanner manually to torque the nuts properly.

Regarding the puncture, my nano had a similar issue of loosing pressure of 10psi over weekends. I suspected a puncture/valve leak and tried 3 different tyre shops. First 2 used soap solution and immersing in soap solution and they could not locate the puncture. The gave up and ruled out the puncture.

The third one used soap solution and then CLEAR WATER to immerse the tyre. Bingo! The puncture revealed.

It was in the area where the shoulder meets the base due to a nail. The bubbles were too small which was actually seen only on clear water rather than soap solution.

Last edited by shineshine : 31st January 2013 at 15:44.
shineshine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks