Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Are the cylinder walls scored? Either you're getting blow-by - or the pieces may have affected your valves while your ran the engine. After a compression test, a visual inspection should give you the solution. If the cylinder walls are scored your best bet is to sleeve it or to re-bore it and get new pistons. Hell throw some forged components in there and add in a turbo since you're going that far anyway haha.
Old 30th March 2009, 03:50   #17
BANNED

thanks all, i have a hi scan and a compression test scheduled for this thursday at nimbus hyundai. hi scan will not be charged as i know them very well (official complaint 2 yrs back) and the compression test will cost 350 bucks.
Old 3rd April 2009, 07:36   #18
BANNED

ok, so here are the compression test results -

Dry
1. 14.5 Kgcm
2. 13.5 Kgcm
3. 13.0 Kgcm
4. 13.5 Kgcm

Wet -
1. 17.5 Kgcm
2. 17.0 Kgcm
3. 16.0 Kgcm
4. 17.5 Kgcm

quite obviously, it needs an overhaul. service center gave me an estimate of 45K and they said they will change almost every component. they will put a sleeve and use the same piston size.

I then paid a visit to Mr. Kapoor at Performance.
He said the expense he is looking at it one size oversize piston, piston rings, main bearing, gaskets and seals. he is yet to provide me an estimate. i have my reasons for not going in for a sleeve and Mr. Kapoor agreed on my views. the material of the block & sleeve is not same, their properties are different. when they heat up they respond differently. and then a size bigger will show some performance gain.

let me know what you guys think about this.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:15   #19
BHPian

what are the normal values for compression BTW? one more thing - does it need piston change or will rings do it?
Old 4th April 2009, 04:20   #20
BANNED

^ the service center says around 15 - 15.5 for this aged accent.
Old 5th April 2010, 03:37   #21
BANNED

posting after an year on this thread. The accent performs beautifully. it has done around 10K kms after the overhaul and gives me a mileage of 12-13 kmpl with AC. Hits top speeds of 180-185 kmph. the CNG kit was taken off and the car has been running on petrol ever since!
Old 5th April 2010, 09:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
posting after an year on this thread. The accent performs beautifully. it has done around 10K kms after the overhaul and gives me a mileage of 12-13 kmpl with AC. Hits top speeds of 180-185 kmph. the CNG kit was taken off and the car has been running on petrol ever since!
How does it feel at those speeds
i never dared to push her beyond 160-165,though i have done 175 once
Old 5th April 2010, 10:03   #23
BHPian

Where did you get the overhaul done, what all was done and the cost factor ?

Most importantly : Was CNG kit to blame here ? Ppl put these gas kits to save money on fuel, but if that money is going down this overhaul drain its not good.

It has been what 2-3 yrs now since the CNG scene has really picked up. If thats the case, expect more of such issues to start cropping up now.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:36   #24
BHPian

did you find out the reason behind the overheating?
Old 5th April 2010, 14:10   #25
BANNED

akshay - she feels great. mad acceleration!

jigbarai & Abeer - The CNG was partially to blame here. The new Accent has the beta engine and i have heard it doesn't handle CNG too well. the accent before 2005 had a alpha engine (i suppose) which gave trouble free operation.

I also have a CNG indica with a sequential kit, here is what i have learnt -

1. A car always heats up more on CNG. keep an eye on the temp needle specially in the summers with AC
2. CNG makes the valves run dry and some cars need a head job soon! Do run your car on petrol at times.
3. It is always better to go in for a sequential kit than the normal kit. It is worth the extra cost.
Old 1st May 2010, 21:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
akshay - she feels great. mad acceleration!

jigbarai & Abeer - The CNG was partially to blame here. The new Accent has the beta engine and i have heard it doesn't handle CNG too well. the accent before 2005 had a alpha engine (i suppose) which gave trouble free operation.

I also have a CNG indica with a sequential kit, here is what i have learnt -

1. A car always heats up more on CNG. keep an eye on the temp needle specially in the summers with AC
2. CNG makes the valves run dry and some cars need a head job soon! Do run your car on petrol at times.
3. It is always better to go in for a sequential kit than the normal kit. It is worth the extra cost.
Can you give the cost of a new sequential CNG kit ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks