Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 11:06   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Hello Friends,

I had bought a Swift Vdi in december and have so far done 4300 kms on it. Lately I am facing a unique problem. When ever I enter the new fly over near the airport I have to accelerate hard to match the oncoming traffic speed. What happens is I have to push the car in 1st and 2nd gear all the way upto 3 RPM and then I switch to 3rd gear for a short time and switch to 4th Gear.
-----
I have one more question isn't white smoke funny on a diesel car?
my friend had similar issue and it was initially diagnosed as accelerator sensor problem by tech 2 scanning but the problem persisted after changing that part .later the car was inspected by a team of mechanics and the problem was diagnosed in ecu ,replaced it in warranty and problem solved.hope this information is useful
argee9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2009, 17:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

DDIS - no response

I have a swift vdi 2008 model. When I try to accelerate, the engine suddenly loses response for a few seconds and regains it's normal self after a few seconds. Can anybody tell me the reason for this? this does not happen frequently. It happens not only at startup but also when the car is moving and i want to shift to higher gear.

I first noticed this problem after the second service. I first thought that this might have occurred due to accumulation of dust or debris in the diesel filter. I got it checked at the dealer and he said that there was no problem. I was at pains to convince the service advisor that this was an infrequent problem , but a big problem. I am worried that there might be a problem with the injectors or something.
Old 13th April 2009, 17:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I have a swift vdi 2008 model. When I try to accelerate, the engine suddenly loses response for a few seconds and regains it's normal self after a few seconds.
-------------
I am worried that there might be a problem with the injectors or something.
This sounds like accelerator sensor issue, park the car, switch off the ignition and give a good dose of accelerator pedal (without engine running) few times. This should resolve the issue.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2009, 11:30   #19
BHPian

Guys update my car is going in for service tomorrow and will make sure all my problems are noted down.

The problem still persists with white smoke and engine stalling at speeds more than 60kms. The car refuses to go above 40 on inclines unless I push it in 2nd gear itself. I have noted down all these problems along with at least 100 rattles.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This sounds like accelerator sensor issue, park the car, switch off the ignition and give a good dose of accelerator pedal (without engine running) few times. This should resolve the issue.
Is this something I should worry about? because although it does not happen very frequently, it does happen and that would mean something is wrong.
Once while overtaking a bus, it so happened that my car lost response in the middle. When the car was back behind the bus, it started behaving normally.

This kind of 'blankness' or sudden lack of response happens only while I accelerate (for ex, when u overtake another vehicle).
Old 15th April 2009, 22:00   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this something I should worry about? because although it does not happen very frequently, it does happen and that would mean something is wrong.
No, this is something you should escalate and get a resolution. it can seriously endanger lives.

Cant even dream of overtaking another vehicle in a 2 lane road with traffic and then have such a failure!

Escalate and get a resolution.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Once while overtaking a bus, it so happened that my car lost response in the middle. When the car was back behind the bus, it started behaving normally.

This kind of 'blankness' or sudden lack of response happens only while I accelerate (for ex, when u overtake another vehicle).

Your problem and my problem seems to be similar. I had to miss my service date today because something urgent came up and I will need to travel a lot today. As juggu said I am very cautious while overtaking.

This seems to be a problem in Swift D may be the newer batch. We at Team-Bhp should verify if there is a problem in more swifts.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:14   #23
BHPian

I have driven few Swift Ds and have found the similar issue, in the 4th gear if you suddenly push the accelerator the car behaves like a stranger to you. I have also noticed similar issue in few petrol cars as well , the remedy for that is to accelerate slowly, not suddenly. I have had a diesel car(Palio 1.9), never noticed this or any similar issue with that one, though swift carries a Fiat engine(not 1.9 though), i dont see any reason for the issue that you are facing.
I hope this problem is fixable and let me know in case the problem is fixed by the people in MASS so that i could tell my friends about the same.
GOOD LUCk.

Last edited by garry.brant : 16th April 2009 at 10:16.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
I have driven few Swift Ds and have found the similar issue, in the 4th gear if you suddenly push the accelerator the car behaves like a stranger to you. I have also noticed similar issue in few petrol cars as well , the remedy for that is to accelerate slowly, not suddenly. I have had a diesel car(Palio 1.9), never noticed this or any similar issue with that one, though swift carries a Fiat engine(not 1.9 though), i dont see any reason for the issue that you are facing.
I hope this problem is fixable and let me know in case the problem is fixed by the people in MASS so that i could tell my friends about the same.
GOOD LUCk.
This is a very generic statement. I do not agree with it. I have a swift D that works pretty well in all the gears. One will find a surge(Not power loss) in the pickup at the 1800-2000 RPM mark due to Turbo. There is no power loss experienced by me in any gear or RPM band which is out of ordinary. If the power loss is combined with white smoke from exhaust this may be due to -

1. excess engine oil - drain 100-300 ml of oil
2. Using premium Diesel - Switch over to Normal IOC diesel for best results.
Old 17th April 2009, 01:01   #25
BHPian

Didnt mean to offend Swift owners, thats just my experience that if you suddenly push the accelerator the car would not respond as it would in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Swift is an awesome car and the pickup is no doubt amazing but the results varies because of the driving techniques.
Old 17th April 2009, 01:38   #26
BHPian

Yes he is right, but here the talk is about the DDIS not the petrol version.Also dude you havent still told me how you have a 1.3 wagonr and i have a 1.1?Please do tell me i really want to know.
Old 17th April 2009, 04:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Didnt mean to offend Swift owners, thats just my experience that if you suddenly push the accelerator the car would not respond as it would in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Swift is an awesome car and the pickup is no doubt amazing but the results varies because of the driving techniques.
I will appreciate if you may elobrate a little, which gear are you talking about? Did you mean the response from engine in 4th or 5th cog is not the same as that in 2nd or 3rd? And what is the RPM of engine just before you step on the accelerator?
Secondly, as you just mentioned, it varies with driving techniques, so is the problem being faced by others who have driven the same vehicle as well?

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 17th April 2009 at 04:15.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a swift vdi 2008 model. When I try to accelerate, the engine suddenly loses response for a few seconds and regains it's normal self after a few seconds. Can anybody tell me the reason for this? this does not happen frequently. It happens not only at startup but also when the car is moving and i want to shift to higher gear.
Sounds like an emission control measure. The turbo air boost is probably linked to fuel control, to ensure that fuel is fed in sync with the air available.

If you shift down there should not be a problem.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:02   #29
BHPian

I was facing a similar issue that would crop up once in a while. Sometimes, under moderately high gear-to-gear acceleration, the engine would suddenly lose power in fourth or fifth and then come back a few seconds later. The moment this would happen, I'd check the rear view mirror and find the car would be smoking quite a bit.

The car's currently done 10,700 kms, and is due for the third service. Suddenly, two days ago, all the pep and grunt from the motor is gone, and it judders when you engage first gear and set off from a stationary position. I took it to MASS (Vitesse) on Saturday, and had them check it out. The test driver drove it, and said it wasn't a serious issue, there was probably excess oil or water had gotten into the turbo.

I'm supposed to bring it back for a service this week, and they'll open and clean out the turbo along with the third service.

Are they being transparent? Is the issue more serious then they're claiming? I'm suffering at least a 25% loss in power.
Old 28th April 2009, 12:41   #30
BHPian

I am still facing the problem. Yesterday i got in to a small drag with linea (dont know if it was a petrol or diesel). From 0 to 60 we were neck to neck but as soon as I shifted to fourth gear the car lost power and there was smoke. I down shifted and I got the power back. It seems like a software issue to me. Not to mention Linea beat me.

One thing i noted is that when you loose power just release the accelerator and push it gradually and it functions normally but the pick up is lost.

My second service has been delayed due to extra traveling and my Innova down due to an accident. This problem seems fixable and am sure MSL is aware of this problem.

I might get it sorted this week (hopefully).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks