Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 17:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I am still facing the problem. Yesterday i got in to a small drag with linea (dont know if it was a petrol or diesel). From 0 to 60 we were neck to neck but as soon as I shifted to fourth gear the car lost power and there was smoke. I down shifted and I got the power back. It seems like a software issue to me. Not to mention Linea beat me.

One thing i noted is that when you loose power just release the accelerator and push it gradually and it functions normally but the pick up is lost.

My second service has been delayed due to extra traveling and my Innova down due to an accident. This problem seems fixable and am sure MSL is aware of this problem.

I might get it sorted this week (hopefully).
Sounds like you are trying to drive a diesel like a petrol car. In a diesel the excess & sudden flow of diesel will flood the engine and the car will bog down the engine. This is why the sudden drop of power is happening.

This happens in petrol cars also but not to this extent.
Old 30th April 2009, 10:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Sounds like you are trying to drive a diesel like a petrol car. In a diesel the excess & sudden flow of diesel will flood the engine and the car will bog down the engine. This is why the sudden drop of power is happening.

This happens in petrol cars also but not to this extent.
I have been driving diesel since I started learning and my driving style has been the same. I have learnt on Estate, moved to sierra to Qualis and now Innova and Swift. But none of the other cars had this problem. I agree none of the above are turbo charged except Innova and Swift.

In the modern cars these things should be controlled by the computer, not resulting in smoke blinding the person behind me. It almost feels like a scene out of James Bond movie. The loss of power can get me killed on highways.

I believe there is a problem with Swift Diesel either with the Engine, turbo, Diesel pump or ECU.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:46   #33
BHPian

UPDATE: Took the car to Vitesse for the third (free) service.
Made the advisor take a test drive with me to show him what the problem was. He drove it and agreed that there was definitely a loss in power and a drop in acceleration.

I asked them to clean the intercooler, and to check the hoses for any leakage. Also asked them to hook the car up to the SDD and check the boost pressure.

The kept the car for 24 hours, and did everything I asked (in addition to the routine 3rd service tasks). Turns out cleaning out and servicing the intercooler will solve the problem. They clean it out with petrol and will not charge you for it if the car's still under warranty. If the car's not under warranty then cleaning out the intercooler should cost you about 350 or so.

Car's going like a hummingbird now.

Sidenote: Wish I had the dough for the Green CAI filter and a Pete's chip, but alas....
Old 4th May 2009, 11:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Oil entering the turbo is a serious issue.Ripper and me had a small reserch in it.If ever we try synthetic oil in a turboed vehicle always use it to the middle mark rather than full.similarly check of oil level should always be done in cold conditions.Try to replace the turbo with a spare and run the car to find the difference at any A.S.S.The one issue the A.S.S face is that of good trained technically qualified mechanics as turbo diesels are new into MSIL family.Any ways check the car with the sapre turbo and as gostrider said get the intercooler cleaned.Hope the issue is sorted out at the earliest.
cheers
ram
Old 11th May 2009, 10:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

I asked them to clean the intercooler, and to check the hoses for any leakage. Also asked them to hook the car up to the SDD and check the boost pressure.

What is the SDD?? Can you please elaborate on the above statement. Thanks
Old 11th May 2009, 16:11   #36
BHPian

faced the same issue with my vdi twice during a span of 3-4months. first time, the ecu was reprogrammed and things were fine until we undertook a blr-ooty drive through the steep inclines of masinagudi. Shifting down to 1/2nd was the only solution.

Came back to blr, and Maruti replaced the ECU. The real danger was that the engine used to cut power after crossing 80 for abt 2-3 seconds. Then the power used to return in a surge hitting you unawares. ...and luckily now it has been 12 months without any issue after the ECU replacement.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:29   #37
BHPian

Finally I gave my car for 2nd service and to sort out my issue of power loss. The Suzuki representative came with me for a drive and guess what the problem didn't show up.He tried and the I tried lol, As a matter of fact the car was running fine. Its ironic that I had the power loss and smoke just before I entered the Service station.

He noted down my problem, I also told him the problem started after 1st service oil change. I reminded him not to over fill the oil and check the ECU. He said the first thing he will do is check the ECU and report it to me.

Other than that I am getting the oil changed and oil filter, getting the air filter cleaned. I hope my problem is resolved.

The funniest part was when the Service representative said sir this is the first DDIS we are facing this problem. I gave him the link to team-bhp.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:48   #38
rippergeo

Please let us know what happened.
if it was the turbo, you would have a problem in all the gears.
This is something else. Lets see what the air filter cleaning does.
If it was the ECU- it should have shown up as an engine check light.

Is the smoke black/blue, or white?

@ghostrider- do you have the boost pressure readings from when they checked your car?
@xotiq- would you please describe the situation in detail?

Last edited by rippergeo : 12th May 2009 at 21:49.

Old 13th May 2009, 11:49   #39
BHPian

My car is back after 2nd service. According to Maruti there is no problem with the car and the ECU didn't show anything. They have cleaned the airfilter, changed oil, oil filter, replaced the rear trunk panel because of rattles etc.

The car is smoother and a little silent. But I feel they have either replaced the ECU or reset it and are hiding it from me. I say this because the car had become a bit lazy. The turbo cuts in after 2 RPM now around 2.2 . I drove the car hard for 10 kms, switched off the engine and turned it on again. Now the car was behaving a little better. I feel the ECU is adapting to my driving style as it did when the car was new.

If my problem is solved i dont care what they are hiding from me. May be they dont want the word to spread that DDIS has a problem.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:30   #40
Team-BHP Support

ECU reset (if such a thing exist) can happen if they have disconnected the battery for a while also. On the other hand car should become peppy after service not the other way around.

What oil did they use, hope you are not going through same fiasco as mine.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ECU reset (if such a thing exist) can happen if they have disconnected the battery for a while also. On the other hand car should become peppy after service not the other way around.

What oil did they use, hope you are not going through same fiasco as mine.
My pickup is back and so is the boost, it was just immediately after the service the car felt slow. The fourth gear problem has not cropped up yet and I hope it stays that way. They put servo engine oil 3.1 liters. I plan to drain approx 200 ml if the problem of smoking occurs again and verify it my self.

FYI my milage is around 12 to 13.5 in city and around 17 to 18 on highways. I feel its low but I dont change gears till 3 rpm normally. I wonder if the problem is interlinked.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:39   #42
Team-BHP Support

Even i dont shift below 3k rpm but in Bangalore worst mileage i have got is 14, in highway with very spirited drives i get 19+ sometimes touching 23 also. Am sure with a more sedate pace i should get more.

All figures with AC, if you can find Mobil Delvac super 1300 or MX then change, its really worth it. With servo in my car it was a very bad experience.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:44   #43
BHPian

My problem stays unsolved as a matter of fact it has become frequent now. But now the smoke has stopped and the engine simply stalls in fourth gear.

Also the breaks have become very weak and makes weird noises. I am sending the car back to MASS on tuesday and this time I am very pissed. I now feel my 7 years old palio was much better and have made a mistake replacing it with a maruti.
Old 24th May 2009, 15:45   #44
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling that first thing they should check is for a blown turbo.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have a feeling that first thing they should check is for a blown turbo.
The turbo is working fine in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear so it should not be a turbo issue.

The car is back from service center. They have found no error in ECU and according to them ECU is working fine. How ever they found good quantity of water in the fuel tank. They have flushed the entire fuel tank and lines.

I now recall the problem had started after a tank full from a new petrol pump. It is mentioned in my previous posts as well. Fuel with water explain white smoke?

I drove the car for 30 odd kms after this and the car feels better. The engine noise has somehow gone down.

Hoping for the best.

Most Viewed