Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 20:36   #1
BHPian

where can i get a compression test done in bangalore

car: ikon 1.6 2k1, 58000kms on the odo.

problems: jerking, lack of power. coincided with changing the water pump. car got heated slightly and that caused me to doubt whether it could be a blown head gasket.

so i went to RAC and asked if they do compression tests (want to make sure) and they say yes but come next week.

i went there the following week and asked. a different guy attended to me. ranjith was out both times mind you. now they say they don't have a gauge (hard to believe when you consider ranjith has rally cars )

so i went over to race dynamics who redirected me to naveen of auto mech in the same gully.

naveen borrowed a compression gauge from RD but he couldn't seem to get the damn thing to fit in. claimed that the plug size is different and they need an adapter! by then one of the RD guys came over to help. no luck - he couldn't fit the gauge in either so he asks me what's up. i told him suspected blown head gasket. he opens the radiator cap. and revs the car. claims that the coolant MUST bubble out which didn't happen.

he thinks a while and says it could be an ignition coil issue. which is fairly common in the ikon (as we all know here). he goes on to say that the engines don't blow gaskets VERY easily! they couldn't locate a working coil to test. i asked them if there's anyway to test the coil with a multimeter but they don't know.

so my questions:
1) where on earth can i get a compression test done? if possible near koramangala and non - ford center.
2) any pointers on how to test the coil with a multimeter?

EDIT: unfortunately i forgot to note/click pics of the spark plugs which would be useful as well.

Last edited by silver_shadow : 20th March 2009 at 20:41.
Old 20th March 2009, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

go to green cars in koramangla
Old 21st March 2009, 13:27   #3
BHPian

thanks IM91. can you tell me their address/phone no.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:52   #4
BHPian

i have also faced the same problem , i wanted to check compression , just for curiosity sake , and most mechanics / service centers dont have one , and even if they do have one , it wont be working properly, best thing to do is buy a guage and the reqd adapter.
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:16   #5
BHPian

the authorised delaerships are the best for this as they have the required instruments plus the manuals for comparing the readings. i recently got one done from hyundai.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
the authorised delaerships are the best for this as they have the required instruments plus the manuals for comparing the readings. i recently got one done from hyundai.
i'll try green cars. in case they can't do it, i'll have to go to ford it looks like. thing is i don't want to give the job to ford to do. i'd rather have it done elsewhere but i want them to tell me if the compression is low or normal. don't know if they'll do that.

anyone know how to test the ignition coil? i have a multimeter and i can do it myself. it should be straightforward.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks