Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 12:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What are the typical charges for belt replacement?
Is it different type from the ones that are fitted to run the AC and water pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Ok , I dont know , just asking ,
How much does timing belt cost?
Anything else needs to be replaced with it or just the timing belt can be replaced ? and what the labor cost ?

If the total cost comes upto even few hundreds rupees why not change it and have peace of mind ?
Timing belts, aka cam belts are not the same as the auxilliary drive belt aka fan belt (though it doesn't drive the cooling fan in most cars nowadays) which drives the AC compressor, water pump and alternator. The typical cost will vary from car to car, and can be as low as Rs.600 to as high as Rs.25,000, depending on the car model. Labour costs will also vary at authorised service stations based on the particular co.'s labour charge schedule.

Usual co. recommended replacement schedules can vary from 50,000 to 120,000 km. It may however be recommended to replace very old belts (over 6-8 years old) even though the recommended distance may not have been covered. For severe use, a change 20% earlier, or for sedate use, a change 20% later will not really cause the belt to snap, but for peace of mind, it is best to change cam belts as per recommended schedules or earlier.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:56   #17
BHPian

I got my timing belt replaced at 45K because the car is 4 years old although the recommended mileage is 60K for my car. Cost was around 2K at the A. S. S although the old timing belt which was taken out looked as good as new but it is well worth the risk to get it replaced sooner than later.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt it too low for a honda even with aggressive driving? are you running any engine mods?
No, 7.9kmpl is ok bcoz most of the redlining happens in 1st gear where the average speed is very low for the amount of fuel consumed. Im sure i will get better FE on track where the average speed will be close to 100kmph.

Im not running any engine mods. Only have headers for now. And its not that the engine isn't FE. If i drive carefully i can get 14.5kmpl in city. So it is most definately the driving style.

Shan2nu
Old 25th March 2009, 12:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Timing belts, aka cam belts are not the same as the auxilliary drive belt aka fan belt (though it doesn't drive the cooling fan in most cars nowadays) which drives the AC compressor, water pump and alternator.
Thanks SS-Traveller ,I am aware what a timing belt is , but was not aware that the cost as be as high as 25 K .
Old 25th March 2009, 13:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It's not the snapping of the belt that scares me but the amount of damage it can cause at high revvs (especially in vtec zone). Moreover, i think the OHC has an interference engine, so if the belt snaps, it could equate to major repairs costing over 50K.
It's a Non-Interference engine so no damage happens. Mine broke when I was on the highway once, costed me 2k to fix in an independent garage (1.2k belt, .8k bearing) and required about a couple of hours.

I would suggest you replace it since it's a small expense and it breaking in a remote place can be troublesome.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a Non-Interference engine so no damage happens.
Thats good to hear but how did you come to know that it is non-interference? Did you get the info from Honda or is it bcoz you didn't face any damage. Coz there have been cases of an interference engine not facing problems (plain luck).

Another thing is that with the vtec system, it is possible that the low lift setup might be non interference but the vtec setup might be interference, since the lift is higher.

Anyway, i aint taking any chances. No more vtec-ing till the belt is replaced.

Shan2nu
Old 25th March 2009, 14:49   #22
BHPian

was iraghava in the vtec zone when the timing belt failed.

in the vtec zone , i thought the high rpm cams make the valves remain open longer , dint know that the lift also was higher.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats good to hear but how did you come to know that it is non-interference? Did you get the info from Honda or is it bcoz you didn't face any damage. Coz there have been cases of an interference engine not facing problems (plain luck).
Because I was doing a fairly good speed when the belt broke & I tried cranking a few times to get her started again. Next day we checked her up at the garage and there was no issue at all, everything was in perfect order & this is on a engine which had done about 120k + kms at that stage.

I would suppose it's non-interference but you're free to do some research and find out.

@ Siddhartha - Can't say man, this was a while back.

Last edited by iraghava : 25th March 2009 at 14:54.
Old 25th March 2009, 15:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nearly all Honda engines except for old V6s (pre-2000) are interference engines. But D13s and D15s with SOHCs are non-interference. However, the VTECs might be. Friggin' soup, the Internet, on this subject.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 25th March 2009 at 15:11.
Old 25th March 2009, 16:23   #25
BHPian

since this is a general thread i thought i'd pop a few questions of my own.

so i've read that the ikon 1.6 rocam has a chain not a belt supposedly which lasts longer. but all the mechanics keep referring to it as a belt. is that true or not?

so what is the change interval recommended for a stock car under normal city driving (not much redlining and not very sedate driving)?
Old 25th March 2009, 17:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
so i've read that the ikon 1.6 rocam has a chain not a belt supposedly which lasts longer. but all the mechanics keep referring to it as a belt. is that true or not?

so what is the change interval recommended for a stock car under normal city driving (not much redlining and not very sedate driving)?
If it's rubber, it's a belt. If it's metal, it's a chain. Elementary. Can't comment on what the Ikon 1.6 Rocam engine has, but the old Amby engine came with a timing chain instead of a belt, and it pretty much lasted the lifetime of the engine.
Old 25th March 2009, 17:51   #27
BHPian

Can someone let me know when the timing belt is to be replaced for Skoda Octavia 1.9? Is it 60k or 120k kms? My car has already done 64k in 3years .I tried asking the service advisor in the last service and he said that they change the belt only if it makes some noise??
Old 25th March 2009, 17:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If it's rubber, it's a belt. If it's metal, it's a chain. Elementary. Can't comment on what the Ikon 1.6 Rocam engine has, but the old Amby engine came with a timing chain instead of a belt, and it pretty much lasted the lifetime of the engine.
thanks. i guess being a chain it will last pretty long then.
Old 25th March 2009, 21:15   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rather spend 5,000 now than shell out 50,000 plus to rebuild the engine.
Whoever quoted you that! Based on Psychos recommendation, I got my Vtecs timing belt changed from Linkway Honda. Official Honda cost (IIRC) was 800 - 900 bucks + labour. Just get your damn timing belt changed and high-revv into the sunset. Costs less than a full tank of fuel!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2009, 01:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Official Honda cost (IIRC) was 800 - 900 bucks + labour.
Is that it??? Damn, i need to call up the Honda dealership tom and find out. Might as well get it done in Hubli if its really that cheap. It'l save me a lot of time.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks