Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 21:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki SX4 - 2 Problems

I see alot is getting discussed at TBHP on running SX4, but all these queries are spread across different threads. So just thought of opening a new thread dedicated for discussing Post Ownership queries/issues/features/servicing/accessories etc.

At present I have few issues to ask:

1. After the accident repair, car is giving a bit humming sound very specifically at 40-45 speed and 120-130 speed. Its very prominent at 120-130.
Something very similar to worn out bearing. what else can cause this?

2. at idle I can hear very very low, tuck tuck sound. This is almost not audible unless you hear it at night with lot of attention.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:43   #2
BHPian

Hi rk,

"On the point 2" Even I have noticed this very low sound, but I forget to get this rectified" and if am not wrong this noise is heard from some where inside the AC vents

rgds
shrini

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
2. at idle I can hear very very low, tuck tuck sound. This is almost not audible unless you hear it at night with lot of attention.
Old 6th April 2009, 00:06   #3

bumpy ride + thrown away feeling +

In my SX4-ZXi, some 3 month old and 3000 KM done,
1) The ride is very bumpy: I drive on supposedly good roads of Hyderabad. Everybody who sat on my SX4 has this comment to offer. I recently drove my friend's Alto for 1000 KM on a Bangalore-Calicut trip: now I really cannot say whether SX4 offers perceptible better ride than Alto.

2) When following the bends of road at speed say 80 kmph or more, I feel that I am getting thrown away. Again I felt Alto was better in this and I guess I will feel more safe with Alto than with SX4 on bends of roads.

3) In addition, I felt SX4's steering wheel was a bit scary compared to that of Alto for high speed drive. SX4's steering wheel appears to return toward center with a bit more force and is too light.

4) The feel of clutch/accelerator is inconsistent: sometimes dry (as if without lubricant) and other times good. Not sure but guess dry feeling occurs in night, and feeling is good if vehicle was under hot sun during day. In addition I feel the slight vibration in accelerator (may be at other places too) at times.

5) Headlights are too weak. In fact, it is scaring to drive in night with such headlights.

Any comment?
Old 6th April 2009, 00:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ravindra,I guess most of your problems would disappear if you tried out a little less tyre pressure.Sounds like its too high.
Ps: I dont own an SX4, but the symptoms point towards tyre pressure.
Old 6th April 2009, 01:34   #5
BHPian

1)SX4's ride quality is on the stiffer side. handling has been traded for comfort.

2)i never experienced such thing .

3)yes, the steering does become light after 80km\hr. may be due to maruti's eps.

4)along with accerelator there is a good amount of vibration in the clutch pedal in 3rd gear

5)upgrade your lights to 90/100 with relays. i have upgraded to philips rally.
Old 11th May 2009, 13:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

Hi

Recently i bought SX4 Zxi 1 week old, even i find this noise in brand new car, in idle this tuck tuck sounds very mild seems to hear from center vents, (but the fan is in off position). Just let me know if you have sorted out this problem or its common in all the cars.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:40   #7

Post #3 in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravindra_hyd View Post
2) When following the bends of road at speed say 80 kmph or more, I feel that I am getting thrown away. Again I felt Alto was better in this and I guess I will feel more safe with Alto than with SX4 on bends of roads.

3) In addition, I felt SX4's steering wheel was a bit scary compared to that of Alto for high speed drive. SX4's steering wheel appears to return toward center with a bit more force and is too light.
I was contacted by Maruti people from their headquarter to get my feedback on car a month back. I repeated the complaints and they directed me to go to a Maruti workshop. After persisting with my complaints for 3 visits to Maruti Workshop in two weeks - during which they mainly altered the tyre pressure, and insisted that they were not able to find the problem - finally they did something when one of their Hyderabad circle maruti engineer on visit to workshop instructed the workshop people to check the steering wheel when he felt some click sound on repeatedly moving the steering wheel from center till angle of 15 degrees both side. The thing workshop people finally did as per their statements was identifying and rectifying wheel alignment problem, and as per them they didn't find any issue with steering wheel on examining it.

Though I am not sure what of their work contributed in what I will state now (as per Workshop policy I could not visit the area where they worked on my car and so I have no idea what they actually did): after their work with my car, I no longer experience "getting thrown away" on bends of roads and "steering wheel" is no longer scary on these bends (which earlier was case on even slight 10 degree or so bends of roads).

Though I have my own concerns about Maruti and their dealers, I appreciated the way Maruti customer care in chage of post-sale feedback took the issue, and put in motion the resources to address my these complaints.
Old 16th May 2009, 09:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

First problem have been solved, but to my surprise, in ZXi version it is not possible to just change bearings, they had to change whole hub costing 7700, under warranty. God knows how will manage after warranty. I hope all these are covered under extended warranty.

For the second , I have not cared to raise it as it is not irritating at all. But still I will raise it next time.
Old 17th May 2009, 00:42   #9

post #5:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
5)upgrade your lights to 90/100 with relays. i have upgraded to philips rally.
I discussed the issue of weak headlights with maruti people and getting them upgraded.

However, they told me, using any bulb with wattage higher than that of stock bulb (60/50 W) will nullify the warranty. They said that SX4's electrical system/assembly cannot support electricity consumption beyond what is required by stock 60/50 Watt bulb; and if 90/100 watt bulb is used, there are chances of malfunctioning of SX4's electrical system because of overheating of wire or electrical component somewhere in that electrical system. They said that they know cases of vehicles having caught fire and burnt badly because of such bulb upgrades.

Conclusion that I reached from this discusion was:
  1. Mistake on part of Suzuki: to have introduced SX4 in India with the electrical assembly that was not designed to have tolerance for more electricity drawn in case of bulb upgrades.
  2. No hope of a satisfactory solution to headlamp problem: Either risk the voiding of warranty and even fire in car or risk the road accidents during night drive.
If anybody is aware of some satifactory solution existing for weak headlight problem, please share.
Old 17th May 2009, 16:15   #10
BHPian

I would like to know whether anyone has fixed Xenon HID's on their Sx4? hows the performance and price? I had checked with a nearby dealer shop in OMR. he says the Philips model will cost some where around 13K with balast and other accessories. I too feel the stock headlights are not sufficient for night drives. Pls suggest!
Old 17th May 2009, 16:25   #11
BHPian

Try getting yourself a pair of Philips Vision Plus 55/60. They are better than the regular 55/60 W bulbs.

Quote:
  1. No hope of a satisfactory solution to headlamp problem: Either risk the voiding of warranty and even fire in car or risk the road accidents during night drive.
If anybody is aware of some satifactory solution existing for weak headlight problem, please share.
Old 17th May 2009, 17:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
post #5:
However, they told me, using any bulb with wattage higher than that of stock bulb (60/50 W) will nullify the warranty.
there point is valid for safety.
i had same problem with my alto. 55 watt bulbs and very scary situations during night driving. i simply upgraded the bulbs to 100 watt with cutouts.
costed me rs 350.
get good installer and replace the bulbs and have peace of mind during night driving.
and yes, about warranty, i have made maruti people to rectify problem in my alto's cylinder head at 23 month and 39000km run of car under warranty after upgradation of headlamp bulbs and installation of ICE. so, don't worry about warranty.
Old 17th May 2009, 17:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ride is very bumpy
The suspension is hard which gives a harsh ride quality. Try reducing tyre air pressure. It should solve the problem to some extent.

Quote:
When following the bends of road at speed say 80 kmph or more, I feel that I am getting thrown away
Not sure what you mean. I do get 'thrown about' when the car goes over rough patches.

Quote:
In addition, I felt SX4's steering wheel was a bit scary compared to that of Alto for high speed drive. SX4's steering wheel appears to return toward center with a bit more force and is too light.
We can't do anything about that. Till today I have not able to accept the EPS in the SX4. Glad to know that I am not alone! I guess Maruti has tuned the EPS to make it effortless to drive. Comfort rules over everything.

Quote:
Headlights are too weak.
Old 18th May 2009, 09:13   #14
BHPian

Hi Ravndra

Recently i bought my SX4 and i have changed the bulbs for osram 100/80, with a New wiring kit from PMP which has ceramic inner near the nodes, which will decepate heat more. and i am very much happy with headlights now. however the cost of the wiring would could cost you around 475/-, i guess double the cost of the normal PMP wiring.

Quote:
post #5:

I discussed the issue of weak headlights with maruti people and getting them upgraded.

However, they told me, using any bulb with wattage higher than that of stock bulb (60/50 W) will nullify the warranty. They said that SX4's electrical system/assembly cannot support electricity consumption beyond what is required by stock 60/50 Watt bulb; and if 90/100 watt bulb is used, there are chances of malfunctioning of SX4's electrical system because of overheating of wire or electrical component somewhere in that electrical system. They said that they know cases of vehicles having caught fire and burnt badly because of such bulb upgrades.

Conclusion that I reached from this discusion was:
  1. Mistake on part of Suzuki: to have introduced SX4 in India with the electrical assembly that was not designed to have tolerance for more electricity drawn in case of bulb upgrades.
  2. No hope of a satisfactory solution to headlamp problem: Either risk the voiding of warranty and even fire in car or risk the road accidents during night drive.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, they told me, using any bulb with wattage higher than that of stock bulb (60/50 W) will nullify the warranty. They said that SX4's electrical system/assembly cannot support electricity consumption beyond what is required by stock 60/50 Watt bulb;
I Bought Raybrig Hyper Halogen H4 lamps from Tokyo and fitted it into SX4 myself. It claims to be 60/55W giving light of 130/125W. Though it is not really that good, but much much better than stock with the same wattage.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/963530-post101.html

I am also thinking of putting something similar on fog lamps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks