Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel Gearbox sound at idle !

I have Swift Vdi, Run 6000 km. Recently or maybe right from the beginning it must be comming i dont know, Whenever the car is at idle in an absolute silent area and i release the clutch in neutral there is a distinct sound coming from the gearbox. The second i press the clutch again the sound is gone. I dont know how to explain the sound but its very minute.

This is when the gearbox engages with the tranny although the gear is in neutral. Is this sound normal ? I asked ripper and he said it is normal, but i have never heard a sound change in any of my petrol cars so got a little concerned.

The shifting is perfect, so is the clutch actuation and everything related to it.

So should i get this checked asap or is everything normal ?
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you checked the gear oil level? Maybe you're just low on gear oil or the oil is of a lower viscosity than recommended.
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Have you checked the gear oil level? Maybe you're just low on gear oil or the oil is of a lower viscosity than recommended.
I havent checked the gear oil level as yet, but i did check for leaks and there is none. The gear oil is the same that came from the company.Havent touched any of that during service.
Also if there is low gear oil, would the gear shifting not be hard and rough ?
Anyway i ll check that tomorrow.
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:13   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I have Swift Vdi, Run 6000 km. Recently or maybe right from the beginning it must be comming i dont know, Whenever the car is at idle in an absolute silent area and i release the clutch in neutral there is a distinct sound coming from the gearbox. The second i press the clutch again the sound is gone. I dont know how to explain the sound but its very minute.
Yup thats normal. Happens in my Vdi too. Clatter increases when you lift and when you press the clutch sound reduces to certain extent.
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:08   #5
BHPian

I am also having similar problem with my swift vdi 2008 model, which has covered 19000 km.
Old 3rd April 2009, 05:24   #6
BHPian

oooooh!

You are going to hear all kinds of sounds in a Swift if you roll up the windows and drive it at a silent place
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its NORMAL. and it happens in all engines and vehicles. Just because its diesel you could hear it better than petrol engines. Chill
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Yup thats normal. Happens in my Vdi too. Clatter increases when you lift and when you press the clutch sound reduces to certain extent.
Thanks bro.Heaving a sigh of relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
I am also having similar problem with my swift vdi 2008 model, which has covered 19000 km.
I think as everyone said, its normal.So party
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
oooooh!

You are going to hear all kinds of sounds in a Swift if you roll up the windows and drive it at a silent place
So true man. I hate the car minus the music switched on. Its like u hear this and that and what not and u want to get everything checked asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Its NORMAL. and it happens in all engines and vehicles. Just because its diesel you could hear it better than petrol engines. Chill
Okay thanks.
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:59   #9
BHPian

spring lash.

What you hear is probably spring lash. These springs are present on the clutch plate to take up the sudden torque when we release the clutch so as not to break gear teeth. YOu will have to live with it like do most Indica owners. This is more common in diesel cars than in petrol cars.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
What you hear is probably spring lash.
Maybe. Maybe not. Spring lash is common on an old clutch, and this is a 6k km old Swift.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. Spring lash is common on an old clutch, and this is a 6k km old Swift.
If the sound disappears when you press the clutch , I think its your clutch release bearing which has gone for a toss, common in Mahindra and Tata vehicles.
Old 6th April 2009, 22:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Okay,now the sound problem is sorted out.One more trouble. Since yesterday, yeah only since yesterday 3rd gear does not engage with utter smoothness.Its notchy. Before it was butter smooth and first gear was the notchy one, now first gear is perfect and 3rd seems notchy.
First gear notchness vanished on its own. Gearbox is still 6300 km old, so should i wait for it to disappear on its own or do something about it ?

Going to goa day after tomorrow and i want a perfect car.

My ratings for the swift seems to going down as the kms pass.I hope its not money wasted.
PS: i still love the turbo kick like no ones business.
Old 6th April 2009, 22:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

I think you need to ask the workshop to do a check on clutch setting, bleed the circuit if required.
Old 7th April 2009, 00:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think you need to ask the workshop to do a check on clutch setting, bleed the circuit if required.
Vdi has hydraulic clutch.??
Old 7th April 2009, 10:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Vdi has hydraulic clutch.??
Yes VDI has Hydraulic clutch and a heavy one too. This clutch is a great improvement over the petrol engine. Modification was done to handle torquey DDIS engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks