Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 18:16   #16
BHPian

If you feel wobbly only at the steering during braking...then it HAS to be the brake disks & pads. Skimming means to even out the uneven surface of the brake disk. I suggested both of them new because yours is a premium sedan with good power, don't take chances.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:49   #17
BHPian

Civic-AT shudders when braked

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
while breaking I experience huge wobbling.
I have exactly the same problem in my Civic-AT. When braking at high speeds (> 100 kmph) The whole car shudders, the steering wheel vibrates . All the passengers can feel this shudder. I will be sending my car for the 40K service in 10 days, and hopefully it will be solved.
Old 5th April 2009, 20:02   #18
BANNED

Why dont u get the suspension components also checked ? might be a faulty steering rack or a simple tie rod problem as well.
Old 5th April 2009, 20:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
all 3 tyres except front left tyre had 37 pressure of nitrogen and rest 3 had 30. immediately got it corrected and problem is apparently partially resolved. but it still exists.
Try inflating all tyres with a slightly lower pressure (28 psi) and see if the wobbling gets better. Wider tyres need lower pressure than that recommended on the original narrower tyres.

Quote:
What is disk skimming?
Disk skimming or disc turning is the process of mounting the discs on a lathe and grinding and polishing them to produce a truly centric (distortion-free) polished surface without any irregularities. Such irregularities occur due to wear of the discs as the pads rub against them while braking. The lathe job costs about Rs.400-500, plus the mechanic's labour of taking off and putting on the discs. Not required unless the brake pads are being changed at the same time. When do you plan to change your brake pads?

Quote:
yes i have gone through that thread, and then took a chance. i hope this is not the problem with S-Drive.
Did you check if the tyres are mounted on the rims so that tread patterns are running correctly as described in my earlier post?

Quote:
What is break judder? etire car is not wobbling, i mean passengers can not even feel it. i get wobbling only in steering.
If you feel a VIBRATION through the steering wheel or brake pedal as you brake, that's brake judder. Brake judder can also happen when the ABS kicks in. If the whole steering wheel seems to move left and right as you brake, that's brake wobble. Can happen due to a lot of factors, like unbalanced wheel or tyre, worn suspension bushes, failed damper on one side, bent suspension components etc., even due to uneven tyre inflation or uneven road surface. Blame the tyres first since your recent event has been to change them - swap them around or swap to new tyres and check if the wobble/judder goes away or not.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 5th April 2009 at 20:20.
Old 6th April 2009, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Try inflating all tyres with a slightly lower pressure (28 psi) and see if the wobbling gets better. Wider tyres need lower pressure than that recommended on the original narrower tyres.
recommended tyre pressure for magnum is 28 psi, let me try this as well.
Quote:
Not required unless the brake pads are being changed at the same time. When do you plan to change your brake pads?
Thanks for the information on Skimming. I am giving the car for service this week, so will get it done immediately.
Quote:
Did you check if the tyres are mounted on the rims so that tread patterns are running correctly as described in my earlier post?
yes, these are rotational tyres and no chance i could fit them incorrectly
Quote:
swap them around or swap to new tyres and check if the wobble/judder goes away or not.
Let me try couple of above options first, and if the problem still persists i will try the different set of tyres.
Old 12th May 2009, 23:04   #21
BHPian

braking issue

i really am running into new problems each day.
i have started noticing a bit of front wheel wobble while braking from speeds above 60kph. anybody have a clue what to gt checked.
alignment was checked last week. didnt solve the problem.
also the camber was "out". the guy said he need a new bolt which was not there with him and told me to come in a few days. i havent gone since. would go soon. till then any other suggestions?
Old 12th May 2009, 23:56   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Check for the following:
1. Tyre tread bulging;
2. Worn out tie-rod ends;
3. Both front and rear wheel alignment;
4. Broken wheel bearings.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:40   #23
BHPian

Finally after a long wait got this problem rectified, the problem was with break disk which started causing break juddering. disk pads were in good condition. it took some time to arive the part but finally replaced under warranty otherwise it would have cost around 3k each.

Now i believe that the problem with break dist was from day one, as i was never satisfied with breaking of Magnum and kept complaining to service advisors. However they could not comment on the same or could never provide the solution. until the juddering started, then they realized disks are not working properly.

Now the breaking has improved significantly and juddering is rectified.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks