Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:13   #1
BHPian

Problem while braking

I recently got Yokohama S-drives on my magnum. Original tyres was Goodyear GT3 196/60/R15 the new ones are 205/55/R15. Along with the tyre change i got the wheel alignment and balancing done. Then i noticed car is wobbling at high speed and it was pulling on one side, so got the re-alignment and balancing done again.

Now the pulling problem is not there plus the wobbling issue is also resolved. However while breaking and experiencing huge wobbling. I could not notice this on earlier tyres and i am not sure if this due to new tyres.

Experts, what could be the issue here and how to resolve it?
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:22   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I recently got Yokohama S-drives on my magnum. Original tyres was Goodyear GT3 196/60/R15 the new ones are 205/55/R15. Along with the tyre change i got the wheel alignment and balancing done. Then i noticed car is wobbling at high speed and it was pulling on one side, so got the re-alignment and balancing done again.

Now the pulling problem is not there plus the wobbling issue is also resolved. However while breaking and experiencing huge wobbling. I could not notice this on earlier tyres and i am not sure if this due to new tyres.

Experts, what could be the issue here and how to resolve it?
second time alignment and balancing was done in the same place? if yes i suggest you try a diff place and then consider further issues.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Throttleking,

Just a hypothesis, but did you have an incident where either of the front wheels crashed into a bump/ditch at very high speeds, after fitting the new tyres?

Such an impact could have bent the rim as well as the brake disc on one of the front wheels. This is why you were having wobbling and pulling at speeds.

Subsequently, you rectified the rim by balancing. This stopped the car from wobbling under normal throttle. But since the caliper is still bent, the car wobbles when you brake hard.

Get the brake discs checked on both wheels.
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Throttleking,

Just a hypothesis, but did you have an incident where either of the front wheels crashed into a bump/ditch at very high speeds, after fitting the new tyres?
No didnt have any such accident.

in last service at 15k service advisor told me that break pads are worn out and need to be changed, it would last for another 3-4k. this could be the reason for wobbling while breaking? i have done 5k after the 15k service.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:27   #5
BHPian

Change the brake disks & the brake pads...your disks are warped hence the wobbling during braking. It will cost you a bit though.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Check if the tyres are mounted and running in the correct rotational direction on all wheels. The tyres should be mounted on all wheels such that the apex of the V pattern is the leading part of the tyre as it rotates forwards - as per the picture. Otherwise you can have thie problem you describe. Needless to say, you'd have to re-balance all the wheels once the tyres are properly mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem while braking-imgp1005.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2009, 21:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Change the brake disks & the brake pads...your disks are warped hence the wobbling during braking. It will cost you a bit though.
Since the car is only 20k old. Suggest you have the discs polished and change brake pads. If it still continues wobbling under braking, change brake discs.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:20   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the wobbling is there ONLY when you brake, you need to change your brake pads. Most probably, your disc would need to be skimmed as well.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with the people above me. The brake pads might have worn out. The Magnum is a fast car and I think your brakes would have seen their fair share of hard braking! SO, better get them changed.
Old 4th April 2009, 02:04   #10
BHPian

If I remember correctly, there was a thread about the S-Drives that wasn't very flattering about these tyres. Do search for that one.
Old 4th April 2009, 04:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

It's Brake Judder you're experiencing Tk, get your brake pads changed and the discs skimmed at the next service and the judder will go away.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
while breaking and experiencing huge wobbling. I could not notice this on earlier tyres
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the wobbling is there ONLY when you brake, you need to change your brake pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's Brake Judder you're experiencing Tk, get your brake pads changed
Is this a wobble of the entire car while braking, or brake judder? I would think the two are entirely different things. Tk, could you be a little more descriptive in explaining your problem? Have you tried out the same braking with a different set of tyres? IMHO worn brake pads / discs don't set off a wobble in the chassis when braking hard.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th April 2009 at 19:16.
Old 5th April 2009, 14:12   #13
BHPian

guys with doubt in mind of remotely possible root cause for wobbling while breaking, i checked the tyre pressure. and noticed that all 3 tyres except front left tyre had 37 pressure of nitrogen and rest 3 had 30. immediately got it corrected and problem is apparently partially resolved. but it still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the wobbling is there ONLY when you brake, you need to change your brake pads. Most probably, your disc would need to be skimmed as well.
What is disk skimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
If I remember correctly, there was a thread about the S-Drives that wasn't very flattering about these tyres. Do search for that one.
yes i have gone through that thread, and then took a chance. i hope this is not the problem with S-Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is this a wobble of the entire car while braking, or brake judder? I would think the two are entirely different things. Tk, could you be a little more descriptive in explaining your problem? Have you tried out the same braking with a different set of tyres? IMHO worn brake pads / discs don't set off a wobble in the chassis when braking hard.
What is break judder? etire car is not wobbling, i mean passengers can not even feel it. i get wobbling only in steering.
Old 5th April 2009, 14:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

@throttle,

gaddi jara dhire chala, problems apne aap solve ho jayega.

aur ek solution,

tu gaddi hi badal de.

change brake pads.
is magnum going by skoda way?
brake pad change within 20000km???

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 5th April 2009 at 14:31.
Old 5th April 2009, 14:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@throttle,

gaddi jara dhire chala, problems apne aap solve ho jayega.

aur ek solution,

tu gaddi hi badal de.

change brake pads.
is magnum going by skoda way?
brake pad change within 20000km???
yaar ashish mai dheere hi chalata hu aur i would love to change my vehicle to Captiva if i could afford it so wait till i complete 5 years on my Magnum. Meanwhile i might do something which 1self has done to his Elantra

Even i am wondering how come i need to change breakpads so early, there are magnums on forum which are driven more than 30k and still going strong

Most Viewed