Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 12:50   #1
BHPian

Some issues with my Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI

Hi All ,

I have already mentined that i was not finding the fiesta as solid and as VFM as my old Ikon. I have a post fiesta vc ikon where i have tried to explain my concerns. Now again i have one issue.

Since the day of the delivery there was some noise coming from back of the car while driving at slow speeds which i had shown to the sales guy at Shaman Ford mumbai , he thought it was minor issue of some sort and as the noise was not all that loud even i did not bother much. Then after alsmost 2.5 months i decided to take the car for the first service and there i told them about the noise , they initially thought that it was due to some rear seat setting.

Finally after checking it out they found out that it was coming from the rear shock absorbers. Without any trouble they have changed it within warranty period , they were nice but this really worries me about the quality of the assembly and the spares , is FORD cutting costs here ? are they using substandard spares ? what should i think abou this ? mean within 600 kms or so they ahd to get the shocks changed , what will happen in future ? It's a nice car but is it relable ?
Old 4th April 2009, 17:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ford's cars come with intermittent quality at best. Though their reliability / precision rates are far superior to our two home manufacturers, the odd part failure is not that uncommon.

The good news is : The worst is probably behind you. I don't think you should expect trouble anymore. But yes, do opt in on an extended warranty package. Peanuts in exchange of the peace of mind you get.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are there any other issues with the car ? If not there is nothing much to worry about. Ford is not reputed to give the best A.S & S., but you got a good response from Ford and its nice to hear that ford replaced them as manufacturing defect.
Sometimes a part or two does filter in, nothing major. Fiesta is known for not giving much trouble i.e. the car in reliable.

Dont worry if there are no major issues with the car.
And I too agree with GTO : go for extended warranty.
Old 5th April 2009, 00:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The fiesta is a very reliable car, however, there are some issues that might crop up in a few cars. It happens with every manufacturer, be it Hyundai (like with Sam Kapasi's Verna), an SX4 (which now comes with substandard parts as Maruti tried to cut costs).
However, in the long run, the fiesta is quite reliable and it shouldn't give you and more problems, provided you service and maintain her on time.
Like for eg: the first service is in 1 month/1000kms, whatever is earlier.

Also, like the others pointed out, an extended warranty gives you peace of mind unless you want to modify the car.
Old 5th April 2009, 01:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The fiesta is a very reliable car, however, there are some issues that might crop up in a few cars. It happens with every manufacturer, be it Hyundai (like with Sam Kapasi's Verna), an SX4 (which now comes with substandard parts as Maruti tried to cut costs).
However, in the long run, the fiesta is quite reliable and it shouldn't give you and more problems, provided you service and maintain her on time.
Like for eg: the first service is in 1 month/1000kms, whatever is earlier.

Also, like the others pointed out, an extended warranty gives you peace of mind unless you want to modify the car.
Can you elaborate on the substandard parts on SX4? I have 3 SX4s in my immediate family and have not experienced anything. Since they would contact me if anything does go wrong, I would like to know in advance what the problems would be like.
Old 5th April 2009, 02:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Might be a little off topic.

Well i recently drove New Fiesta 1.4 TDCi with 15K km on the ODO. To be honest i think Ford is cutting out on insulation. My friends OLD Fiesta 1.4 TDCi engine done more than lac KM is better when it comes to insulation. I was really amazed how much engine noise was there while cruising and idling. 100 KMPH @ 5th gear i was easily able to make out it was diesel. Where as my friends car is pretty silent.

I don't know if anyone else observed this but i also drove a the New test car at BHAGAT FORD with 8-9K on ODO and it sounded same as the car which had 15K on the ODO.

I was really disappointed as i used to claim to people that FIESTA TDCi is the most silent / smooth car till the price range of 15 lac
Old 5th April 2009, 02:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

srishiva: Check out some of the threads on the forum.
Old 5th April 2009, 08:10   #8
BHPian

Amol-: Be glad that the service guys were prompt in replacing the part and resolving your problem. I had to make multiple calls and mails and disturb them day and night to get them to look at the problem in my Fiesta. Now they will be sending another FORD engineer on April 11th to check problem.

For more details, check my thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...engineers.html

As to if this prolem is specific to Ford, I would say NO. Every manufacturer has its own set of problems. For them, if the ratio is like 1:1000 cars, then they would be happy. There will always be some unfortunate people out there.
Old 5th April 2009, 08:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The good news is : The worst is probably behind you..
literally speaking in this case !

wondering whether the A S S gave you the reason for changing the shocks ?
Old 6th April 2009, 02:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

well I own a ford and I have been called a Ford fanboy by a few ppl but I think Ford should learn from Skoda and price its parts lower and understand that there is something called repair and not replace only. I have a lot of friends who have Fords and its ridiculous the way they keep wanting to change everything every part rather than trying to repair it.Thankfully your case is under warranty but what about the rest of us? I think they deserve a kick in the backside so they learn.

Last edited by sammyboy : 6th April 2009 at 02:40.
Old 6th April 2009, 09:47   #11
BHPian

I hardly see any true mechanics nowadays and certainly none in the A.S.S of any manufacturer. None of them know how to repair, they only know to replace and thats because the manufacturers encourage only that. It means more money for them and more profit.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I hardly see any true mechanics nowadays and certainly none in the A.S.S of any manufacturer. None of them know how to repair, they only know to replace and thats because the manufacturers encourage only that. It means more money for them and more profit.
Exactly---even Maruti is a culprit for such practices. My WagonR had some sounds emanating from the tie-rods of the front wheel, and unfortunately this happened just after the warranty was over in 2004. They have never managed to subdue the sounds so far, over the past 4 years. Even they are trigger-happy in suggesting a replacement rather than repair.
Old 14th April 2009, 19:35   #13
BHPian

Why did my Fiesta sway on the Expressway ?

hi all ,

I was driving my fiesta 1.6 sxi ( 1000 kms on odo) on mumbai pune expressway at arppx. 150 kms/hr. All was ok and car was stable but suddenly it swayed by few inches in both directions out of my control and without any notice. I was scared to death and urgently took my foot off the accelerator. Then mantained 120 kms / hr or lesser and it peformed well. Can anybody help me on this ? the road was good and all other cars were at higher speeds , i am not sure what happened , is 150 kms / hr. too much for fiesta or i need wheel balancing or alignment ? i really really would appreciate if somebody could help here , thanks guys !

regards

amol
Old 14th April 2009, 20:17   #14
BHPian

I personally feel 150kph is a bit too excess for a fiesta if u have stock tires/wheels.
Heck, even a stone on the road at that speed can topple the car.
I own a Civic in India and still dont try to go beyond 100-120 range. Indian roads arent just suitable enough to go beyond that, without exponentially increasing the risk.
Safety on road is a combination of many things. Good road surface is, I would say a minimal requirement. But general driving/civic sense of all other drivers/cars/bullock-carts/pedestrians/cows/dogs sharing the road with you matters a lot more.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

dont worry. it was probably a strong gust of wind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks