Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2005, 12:51   #1
BHPian

branded fuel in New Zen ?

Hi,

Sorry for probably a stupid question

I have a new Zen (Euro-2) taken a month back and since then I am using SPEED petrol. With new Euro-3 petrol available in Pune, is it worth to keep using SPEED or a normal petrol would be okay?

I would like to know it in terms of performance and FE
Old 20th May 2005, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Speed and Power are 87 octane fuels with additives from bpcl and hpcl respectively.
with mpfi cars having very minute injector nozzles,it does help to use additives along with your petrol.

Xtra premium is 91 octane fuel w ith additives fom IOC .
or else you can use additives like bardahl,STP .

i have used even reliance 98 octane in my mpfi zen.initially i did feel some improvement ,but i think u really dont require higher octane fuel in a stock zen.

the best results i have got till date is with xtra premium and Power.
Speed sukks as the bpcl outlet near my place gives kerosene,naptha...dunno what else along with Speed.so when we get it ,it can be renamed as SLOW.

regarding FE,i did see a drop in FE whenever i had switched to the petrol without additives.

If on the NH4 ,there is this petrol pump near kolhapur that sells only SPEED.dont ever fill petrol over there.during a recent drive,teh santro in which we were driving gave 12kpl after filling there and also ther was heavy knocking.this petrol pump is abt 2-3kms before the Konduskar petrol pump on the LHS towards bangalore.

Last edited by speedsatya : 20th May 2005 at 13:09.
Old 20th May 2005, 18:53   #3
BHPian

I'd prolly go with the fuel with "additives" its bout a buck n a half more a lit...but seems to help quite a bit in the long run...also the injected zen requires a min of 87octane to perform at optimum...
Old 20th May 2005, 19:13   #4
BHPian

All new gen cars come with MPFI systems which do not have a carborater. Generally it is advisable to only use the Speed fuel once in 2 weeks this will help increase engine life for your car.
Old 24th May 2005, 08:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the injected zen requires a min of 87octane to perform at optimum...
the min.octane rated petrol is 87.
Old 24th May 2005, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

In new car normal fuel will be fine
after your car gets old the injectors start to get blocked & that is when fuel additives come into play so yeah using fuel with additives once in two weeks is a nice idea or if you want you can even go with petrol + additive
Old 16th June 2005, 19:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be better to start using the additive added fuel from day one rather that wait till the injectors clog up.

I was also of the opinion that a once in a while dose of SPEED should meet the purpose. However I kept hearing that the petrol pump guys advised sticking to the fuel once we start using it. Now keeping in mind how the pump-walas are out to help us, I was cynical at first but later heard a logical explanation from a mechanic when I asked him the same question.

It seems that with regular use of the normal fuel more impurities collect in the fuel tank. Now pouring speed into such a tank has a small detergent effect due to the additives which dislodge these impurities and wash it into the fuel filter which may create problems. Any comments on this? I have started using SPEED/Xtra full time after that.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 16th June 2005, 21:49   #8
BHPian

I have a new Euro III wagonR any idea which fuel to use?
Also there is a shell petrol pump in blore....heard fuel there is of good quality.
Old 17th June 2005, 08:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
I have a new Euro III wagonR any idea which fuel to use?
Also there is a shell petrol pump in blore....heard fuel there is of good quality.
For Bangaloreans, see this thread. It has all the info you need.
Old 19th June 2005, 23:14   #10

Normal Petrol with additive

I have a Getz GLS and Ford Ikon and I have been using the so called Premium Petrols like Speed, and HP equivalent. Some people are suggesting that the quality of additives in the fuels is a suspect and the possibility of the petrol pump giving normal fuel as Premium is also possible, it is better to buy normal petrol and then add STP like additives yourselves.
Has any of you tried this and what are the expert comments on this idea. I live in Delhi and the quality of petrol is always a suspect.
Subodh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks