Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 11:55   #1
BHPian

Tubeless tyre - nail puncture

Hi,

My UVAs tubeless tyre punctured due to a nail piercing through the side, just after the thread.
The puncture shop guy fixed it with some 'seal' but asked to do a 'Vulcanization' of the tyre since the puncture was from the side. He's saying the seal will not last.
Is the vulcanization really required.

Is it easy to repair with tubeless puncture kit. How much it cost for a tubeless puncture kit?

Pls advise..
Old 10th April 2009, 12:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Arun, if the nail pierced from the side, ie. the side-wall of the tyre, then vulcanization is certainly required, if you must carry on using this tyre. Sidewall damage generally means having to dicard the tyre. There should be no impediment (repair) to the sidewalls flexing.
Old 10th April 2009, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Thanks anupmathur for the advice..
I have put my spare tyre in place of the punctured one. Planning to get the punctured one checked by the authorised dealer and do vulcanization / to buy a new tyre if required.
Old 10th April 2009, 15:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
Hi,

Is it easy to repair with tubeless puncture kit. How much it cost for a tubeless puncture kit?

Pls advise..
It is.

I paid 450/- for the kit. Can be used 10 times.
Old 10th April 2009, 17:40   #5
BHPian

My Zen's front RHS Michelin tyre got a small tear on its edge (about 1" )after hitting a stone. I got a tube fitted along with a small patch inside the tyre converting it to a tube type. My tyres are 24K km old & the plan is to replace them after another 6-7 K km.
Should I buy a new tubeless tyre OR continue with the arrangement till I buy a new set.

Another question, currently the car is running on 155/65 R 13 tyres. Would it affect the handling or anything if I change the front tyres to 145/ 70 R13.
The reason being that mine is a non PS car due to which sometimes I find the steering very hard. Secondly, I feel that the suspension related problems arise more than when the car was running on stock 145/80 R12 tyres.
Also it will add to ride comfort being due to marginally more side wall height.

Last edited by breezydrive : 10th April 2009 at 17:54.
Old 10th April 2009, 18:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Breezydrive, I'd expect suspension related issues to be the least with the stock tyre size!
The maximum tyre wall height is of the stock tyres from the three sizes mentioned by you.

Are you sure the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure? The steering ought not to be so hard as to tire you out!
Old 10th April 2009, 23:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Breezydrive, I'd expect suspension related issues to be the least with the stock tyre size!
The maximum tyre wall height is of the stock tyres from the three sizes mentioned by you.

Are you sure the tyres are inflated to the correct pressure? The steering ought not to be so hard as to tire you out!
Correct, the stock size was best in terms of steering control & ride, but not for overall handling. The car is nearing 1.10k on the odo & running on third set of tyres. I changed the rim size to 13" for 155/65, hence the question was about fitting 145/70 on front instead of 145/80 ( as I don't have that option now).

The steering hardness issue comes to picture as the car will be used by my wife in near future (Had to postpone new buy due to a sad incident in family)
Old 24th September 2011, 17:31   #8
BHPian

Re: Tubeless tyre - nail puncture

Please refer below pic - is it OK to remove the Nail and repair the puncture.
Tire pressure is fine, today I checked after a week and there is no leakage.

However, the position of the nail is more towards the side wall, so not sure if it can cause damage to the tire while repairing, at the same time I do not want to keep this nail stuck for long.

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Tubeless tyre - nail puncture-dscn2645.jpg
Old 24th September 2011, 19:31   #9
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post

However, the position of the nail is more towards the side wall, so not sure if it can cause damage to the tire while repairing, at the same time I do not want to keep this nail stuck for long.

IMHO, you should be safe. Remove it & get it fixed at a good tyre shop, also take their opinion and if it is a go, then use this tyre on the rear and not in the front.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 19:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 614381
There will surely be air leak , it maybe very slight.It's a simple procedure. The tire shop guy will just remove the nail and insert something else inside after spraying something on it. I advise using it as a spare tire or use it as a rear tire.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 19:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:

You should remove the nail from the tyre and have it fixed as soon as you can before the nail can cause further damage. Tyres are not too expensive compared to the cost of replacing a bumper, having parts of your car repainted, and paying for a tow truck, especially if the insurance agency rules that it was a case of negligence.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 21:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
IMHO, you should be safe. Remove it & get it fixed at a good tyre shop, also take their opinion and if it is a go, then use this tyre on the rear and not in the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
There will surely be air leak , it maybe very slight.It's a simple procedure. The tire shop guy will just remove the nail and insert something else inside after spraying something on it. I advise using it as a spare tire or use it as a rear tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
You should remove the nail from the tyre and have it fixed as soon as you can before the nail can cause further damage. Tyres are not too expensive compared to the cost of replacing a bumper, having parts of your car repainted, and paying for a tow truck, especially if the insurance agency rules that it was a case of negligence.
Thank you all for the suggestion. Shall go tomm. and get it fixed. Hope there is no effect on the side wall.
Old 24th September 2011, 21:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

this is an old thread. but vulcanization is seldom required. puncture kits does the job fine.

i am using a tyre for the past 26000 kms that got damaged by someone's mischief on the side wall. The kit does the job fine.

If the hole is big enough, replacing the tire is mandatory.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 22:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...is it OK to remove the Nail and repair the puncture.
IMO the nail (or is it a screw?) doesn't appear to have pierced through-and-through, else you'd have lost air pressure, given that this is the area of the tyre that has maximum flex while driving. Remove the screw/nail, check for air escape under water, and if no air bubbles appear, let it be and continue using the tyre as usual. Air leak would necessitate a plug to be inserted there.

Since the sidewall is intact apart from the small area where the nail pierced, tyre strength is not likely to be compromised. Remove the nail and check for any bulge in that area after driving a few km. No bulge = no worries.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 22:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
this is an old thread. but vulcanization is seldom required. puncture kits does the job fine.

i am using a tyre for the past 26000 kms that got damaged by someone's mischief on the side wall. The kit does the job fine.

If the hole is big enough, replacing the tire is mandatory.
Yes, this is an Old thread, I did a search and posted it here to avoid creating a new thread. You are 100% correct as I think the same too (bold sentence), but I cannot say for sure as within 2kms of my residence there are multiple construction projects going on (from flyovers, to shopping malls, to aptmts.) and I see regularly some or the other car with punctured tires in my apt. complex (in which there are 1K+ car parking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IMO the nail (or is it a screw?) doesn't appear to have pierced through-and-through, else you'd have lost air pressure, given that this is the area of the tyre that has maximum flex while driving. Remove the screw/nail, check for air escape under water, and if no air bubbles appear, let it be and continue using the tyre as usual. Air leak would necessitate a plug to be inserted there.

Since the sidewall is intact apart from the small area where the nail pierced, tyre strength is not likely to be compromised. Remove the nail and check for any bulge in that area after driving a few km. No bulge = no worries.
It`s a nail, I haven't lost air pressure - as in the last 01 week (I checked today too), the air pressure is same (30psi), in the long-run I am not sure though.

I am confused now

Thanks for taking time out to advise. Im OK with the current situation if driving in city, but if going for a long drive, honestly it`ll be always at the back of my mind and I do not want to take any un-necessary risk.

Shall go tomm. in a reputed tire shop, take their opinion and proceed accordingly. Thanks again to all of you for your advise and I`ll share the final outcome.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 24th September 2011 at 22:19. Reason: edit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks