Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 11:19   #391
BHPian

Can anybody tell me how to change the hand brake cable. Should the head light switch be removed to take the panel out. If so how to do it
Attached Images

Last edited by tharakan9 : 29th July 2013 at 11:20.
Old 29th July 2013, 11:42   #392
Senior - BHPian

No the head light switch doesn't need to removed just remove the lower panel of the dash and have the cable put it. And have it done by a professional as it requires going under the vehicle.
Old 29th July 2013, 11:59   #393
BHPian

But dosent the switch be removed to take out the lower panel. I belive the screws for the panel comes under the switch
Old 29th July 2013, 13:33   #394
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

No the screws are for removing the head light switch only. I have just replace the head light switch and also called my mechanic for the same, he also confirms the same.

BTW is your trim is coming loose??
Old 29th July 2013, 14:50   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
.... the poor design of fuel lines on the OM605/6 engines, which can allow air ingress and so hinder starting.
That is the reason why it is recommended to keep cranking the engine for up to a minute as there is self bleeding system in place. Right?

OFF TOPIC — I figured out a way to improvise a dash mounted camera for those videos that you wanted. I shall have something by the weekend!
Old 29th July 2013, 15:19   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I believe you're confusing Xtra Premium with 93 octane. The so called premium stuff is 91 octane, and in fact, more expensive than 93 due to the added chemicals and what not. Either way, the fuel with the additives is poison for a car in the long run.
Nope i am not confused. anything over the regular grade comes with additives, then be it 93 or 97 or extra premium or whatever. If you have been using premium grade dont switch over immediately. Do it over a period of three to five tank fulls, reducing the quantity of the premium fuel and replacing with regular like 1) 75% premium and 25% regular then 2) 50-50 and so on till the fifth time use only regular and stay with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Update
Was getting the New Windshield Fitted. The person doing the Fitting broke the glass. The shopkeeper has order a new one.
What The..??? Well hes replacing it then, that does not matter. These jobs are to be carried out by a through professional because they have a tool to remove and re-fix the glass whereby the black resin (called Jalebi in jargon) which is used to fix the glass has to be removed fully. Most will use a blade to do so and damage the paint work and anti rust coating and leading to rust starting from the A pillar. If not fully removed and fixed properly, tiny droplets will squeeze in and cause more damage over a long time and the only thing to do then os tp remove the windscreen again. So if there is a Merc dealer or a windshield expert get it done there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Hi guys

2 things have been bugging me to no end and I am unable to find a solution to the same.

I have a 1994 E300 D automatic with OM606 engine (multi-valve)

1) The front and rear discs are solid. Now I know the rear discs are solid, but I always thought the front was vented. Has this been retrofitted or do the E300s come with solid discs at front also. Is it possible for me to switch to vented discs at the front. Parts list and any other info will be useful.

IN all probability, the 1994 300D, being an Import would have solid discs in the front. Some markets though im told used to have a ventilated disc as OE. If the cars works fine, dont touch it.

Quote:
2) My car does not have an EGR valve. Again, most vehicles you see on the internet show an EGR, has this been removed from my car? What are the benefits of this EGR? Should I find one and try to fit it in?

Thanks in advance
An EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycling) Valve is there for a purpose. It is a link between the exhaust manifolds and opens in certain conditions. Uneven idling can be a symptom. In most cases in India, EGR valves were either not available or were expensive hence they were bypassed. That would leave to uneven idling, black smoke from the exhaust and also dropped pick up. I would suggest getting one and fixing it immediately. For that go to a proper mevchanic, not someone who says its ok of the valve is disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Guys,

How does the W124 E250 (or any other diesel W124 for that matter) perform cold starts? I had gone to Kodaikanal a few months back when the temperature there had dipped to some 10 degree celsius or so (not sure, but it was damn C-O-L-D). Our friend who is a native told us that the older diesel cars (read non-CRDI) from other places have trouble starting up there because the diesel get waxed (??) because of low temperature. The diesel cars running there get the fuel pumped from the local fuel stations that supplies fuel mixed with additives that prevents the diesel from getting 'waxed'. How does our diesel cars behave in such situations?

I am planning to take the W124 to some real cold places in the next few weeks and I am kind of apprehensive about it.

Thank you.
10 degrees is nothing. These things start almost instantly. Turn the ignition on, wait for the heater light to disappear (should take a couple of seconds) and crank the engine. Remember these cars are originated in Germany which has snowfall so 10 degrees says nothing to this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I have a New problem with My E220. After the sad story with the glass replacement, the car wouldn't start. All the lights except the SRS light don't come. The engine turns but the car wouldn't start.

Also the Front Window Lift fuse (B) was kaput and Replaced it with the Replacement Fuse.

My electrician did something and the car started just fine. But on Saturday It again develop the same thing but after only touching the fuse box it started.

What can be the problem be I am total lost. Please help me.
Check your fuses and relays. Also the wiring harness. In all probability its a minor electrical problem. Also check your SRS sensors.

Last edited by V-16 : 29th July 2013 at 15:23.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 15:36   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
An EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycling) Valve is there for a purpose. It is a link between the exhaust manifolds and opens in certain conditions. Uneven idling can be a symptom. In most cases in India, EGR valves were either not available or were expensive hence they were bypassed. That would leave to uneven idling, black smoke from the exhaust and also dropped pick up. I would suggest getting one and fixing it immediately. For that go to a proper mevchanic, not someone who says its ok of the valve is disconnected.
Thanks for the inputs V-16.

I am not saying I want to delete the EGR. I want to know if my car ever did come with one and it was deleted.

Is there a way to find this out?

My car idles very well and has good pickup.

Attaching a picture of this area, hope you guys can identify if the EGR ever existed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img2013072900163.jpg  

Old 29th July 2013, 16:49   #398
Senior - BHPian

Is your OM606 a Turbo Diesel? All OM606s came with an EGR. (The R may stand for recirculation or recycling). The EGR will set off the engine check light or will set off a fault code when on a star vac system.
Probably one can use a breather filter and the EGR can breathe through the nearby located air filter and keep all the engine lights happy.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:36   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Is your OM606 a Turbo Diesel? All OM606s came with an EGR. (The R may stand for recirculation or recycling). The EGR will set off the engine check light or will set off a fault code when on a star vac system.
Probably one can use a breather filter and the EGR can breathe through the nearby located air filter and keep all the engine lights happy.
Nope, my car is not a turbo.

In fact, I am pretty sure, the turbo OM606 never came in the RHD configuration as the turbo/exhaust would hamper with the steering box.

I am attaching a picture of a car I found on line, of the same year (1994).
I have circled the EGR in RED. This is a UK vehicle and an E300 D.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-mercedesbenzeclasse300ds65298211.jpg  

Old 29th July 2013, 23:59   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
That is the reason why it is recommended to keep cranking the engine for up to a minute as there is self bleeding system in place. Right?

OFF TOPIC — I figured out a way to improvise a dash mounted camera for those videos that you wanted. I shall have something by the weekend!
Self-bleeding can be understood to mean that the fuel pump can theoretcially manage to drag fuel from the tank through the lines, fill the filter(s), the injector pump and then the lines. Not easy to do, and very hard work on the starter motor. I think the term 'self-priming' would be used if this were the intention.

I understand it to mean that any air in the pump and lines should be purged out as the engine runs, instead of recycling the air round and round.

To prime the system which has had an air ingress, either attach a inline 'bulb' from another sort of diesel car or use a vacuum-operated fuel priming tool. Best to avoid it althogether, but when you replace fuel lines this isn't possible.

Quote:
This is a rare situation of altering the way the car was built to good effect. I rarely suggest 'improving' on a manufacturer's setup, especially when it is a quality manufacturer, but EGRs are there for emission purposes when the car is new, not to make them run better. They recycle exhaust gas at small throttle openings to reduce NOx at the tailpipe and on later engines act as a tool to heat up the engine more quickly from a cold start.
They are prone to causing many (and manifold) problems, causing a build-up of a thick, caked oily substance in the inlet tracts as time goes by. The EGR valve itself can often get stuck, compounding the problem and making for more exhaust gas pollution. You either dismantle and clean/replace the upper bits of your engine and fit a new EGR then wait for the same thing to happen, or delete/blank it.

Euro3 engines (EGRsa with no electrical connection) are pre-2005 and there is no warning light to advise of the blanked EGR, Euro4 which is 2005 and on need a quick ECU remap to tell the management not to expect it to be operational.

Having an engine not sucking in oily hot air is a good thing, the chance of damage occurs if one is left on as the years and mileage pile on.

Think of it as your engine giving up tobacco, with nicotine patches needed for the latest engines breathing clean air.
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 10:03   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
This is a new thread -
I am looking for a competent electrician and tuner in Bangalore to attend to my W124, E200 Petrol. The AC relay and idling seem to be acting up. I have observed most electricians who are familiar with modern cars aren't very well versed with electricals on older Mercs.
Any suggestions on who to go to please?
You can go to Car-Mechs, situated in Teacher's colony, Jakkasandra, Koramangala.
Pretty straight forward guys and they know their stuff with Mercs.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:11   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
You can go to Car-Mechs, situated in Teacher's colony, Jakkasandra, Koramangala.
Pretty straight forward guys and they know their stuff with Mercs.
Thank you very much indeed Jeeva, I gave them a call and spoke with a Sabu, shall visit them this weekend. I am also hoping they can help me source original spares.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:02   #403
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity i wanted to ask that when I unlock the car a buzz sound comes for 10 -15 secs from the rear seats and then stops. Its like a small electric motor sound.What is that sound.

Also before getting my n10 relay repaired I heard fast clock clicking sounds. What sounds are these.
Old 30th July 2013, 18:03   #404
BHPian

i guess its vaccum pump controller or whatever that is called under the rear seat making that noise.. mine also does; and its reassuring to hear that
Old 30th July 2013, 19:20   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
i guess its vaccum pump controller or whatever that is called under the rear seat making that noise.. mine also does; and its reassuring to hear that
I was scared the first the I heard the noise. My 190 never made that sound. Or I never heard it.

And i never liked my w204 so never paid attention. The car has to soul. And I hate digital stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks