Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 14:55   #661
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Have you checked the vaccum connections in the engine bay?

Is your headlights level motor working

There reason i ask you this is becoz both the above is run by the same vaccum circuit

The center flaps is controlled by a pod, it is not getting vaccum.. Check the above

On e220 the vaccum is drawn for the above two circuit from a pipe next to throttle body
The headlight level motor is not working :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Sometimes the vacuum flaps get stuck. Just rotate the knob which controls the airflow to the various vents several times and it might just get unstuck. Otherwise you have a vacuum leak.
Does the humming sound go away when the AC knob is in the off position?
Had tried that. Still the same. Looks like its the vaccuum leak itself. How expensive or cheap it is to fix this?
Old 18th May 2014, 14:58   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

Had tried that. Still the same. Looks like its the vaccuum leak itself. How expensive or cheap it is to fix this?
Again, does the humming sound go away when the AC knob is in the off position?

It's not expensive per se, but very time consuming to find the vacuum leak. First things first, get the pump checked. If that is okay, then move on to leaks and pipes.
Old 18th May 2014, 15:46   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

Vaccum pump will be alright, it is the feed

Check the pipes on top of engine, open every while the engine is on, refit them.. One of them is loose or leaking

Not sure of diesel circuit, but on petrol its a tiny black pipe on top of the throttle body from where it takes engine vaccum to control the headlight and ac flaps

Nothing serious.. Just poke around the pipes..
Old 18th May 2014, 23:01   #664
BHPian

Quote:
As far as i know the KILMA relay; is a AC relay and it controls the shutting of compressor; you can short pin 5 & 7 to test however you should never run it like that as it will destroy your compressor; It does these 3 things

1. when the engine is started, the relay keeps the compressor solenoid off until 10 seconds for proper start and idling

2 with low rpm; if the accelerator is kicked down; it stops the compressor

3 if low Ac gas, then the pressure switch directs Klima to turn off the compressor, saving the compressor

Below is the Relay points from internet; its also the same things in the manual

Now no harm in trying a different unit; coz it is also connected to EGR and maybe it takes reading from there; let me know
How similar is the Kilma relay operation in respect of the Diesels, I notice that the diagram shows that a relay numbered 31 is present - is this fitted on the Indian diesels too? I ask this question as I notice that there is no compensation to increase the idling speed when the A/c clutch is energized. I also would like to know if you are able to share any sketches / drawings of the ARA (anti jerk actuator) fitted on indian diesels whereas the ELR (electronic idle speed regulator) is fitted on US models which apparently seems to do a different function. Thanks for responding to my earlier queries.
Old 19th May 2014, 14:33   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
How similar is the Kilma relay operation in respect of the Diesels, I notice that the diagram shows that a relay numbered 31 is present - is this fitted on the Indian diesels too? I ask this question as I notice that there is no compensation to increase the idling speed when the A/c clutch is energized. I also would like to know if you are able to share any sketches / drawings of the ARA (anti jerk actuator) fitted on indian diesels whereas the ELR (electronic idle speed regulator) is fitted on US models which apparently seems to do a different function. Thanks for responding to my earlier queries.
I am not familiar with ARA; do you have a part number for it?

if I get the number maybe I can get you something
Old 19th May 2014, 22:28   #666
BHPian

Quote:
I am not familiar with ARA; do you have a part number for it?

if I get the number maybe I can get you something
I do not have a part number but I have a picture of the same which I provide as an attachment & can be referred to - it is designated Y22/3 .
The injection pump type and part numbers are:-
Type: PES 5 M 55 C 320 RS 201 ;
Bosch combination number: 0 400 075 926 (Manual Transmission);
Bosch designation of pump: FP/KG 24 M 152

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-antijerk-control-ara.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-testing-individual-components.jpg  

Old 20th May 2014, 09:30   #667
BHPian

Quote:
The dot position, opens the internal flap and you will have fresh air coming in without blower without compressor; so just air
@DeepakMenon, I am in need of your help. Do you have any diagrams which explain the entire AC system - e.g. with all the sensors. My AC is now playing hide-and-seek, sometimes working, sometimes not working. Before I go for gas refill, I would like to make sure of no electrical malfunctions. I know there are pressure switches, speed sensor on compressor but I don;t know about other sensors and locations.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:48   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
@DeepakMenon, I am in need of your help. Do you have any diagrams which explain the entire AC system - e.g. with all the sensors. My AC is now playing hide-and-seek, sometimes working, sometimes not working. Before I go for gas refill, I would like to make sure of no electrical malfunctions. I know there are pressure switches, speed sensor on compressor but I don;t know about other sensors and locations.
There is no such diagram; however there are not many sensors; just the below

1. KILMA Relay
2. Pressure Sensor
3. AUX Fan Sensor
4. Cabin Temp sensor

What exactly are you facing? I should be able to help with simple trouble shooting steps
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 13:11   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
I do not have a part number but I have a picture of the same which I provide as an attachment & can be referred to - it is designated Y22/3 .
The injection pump type and part numbers are:-
Type: PES 5 M 55 C 320 RS 201 ;
Bosch combination number: 0 400 075 926 (Manual Transmission);
Bosch designation of pump: FP/KG 24 M 152

Thanks.
Well no clue barring some info on online manuals on how to test it
Old 21st May 2014, 01:53   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Well no clue barring some info on online manuals on how to test it
I am curious about how Y22/3 works, why does the car feel better when it is disconnected ?
Old 21st May 2014, 09:11   #671
BHPian

Quote:
There is no such diagram; however there are not many sensors; just the below
1. KILMA Relay 2. Pressure Sensor 3. AUX Fan Sensor 4. Cabin Temp sensor
What exactly are you facing? I should be able to help with simple trouble shooting steps

The problem is - the AC compressor does not turn on every time I switch on the AC. This is irrespective of outside temperature / cold start / hot start/ idling or driving.

Sometimes it switches on after a delay of 2 to 10 minutes, cooling starts, but again (most of the time) it is OFF within 10 to 20 seconds and again switches ON and quickly OFF.

Very rarely it remains ON for a longer time and then the cooling is fantastic.

There are no vacuum leaks - all AC vents, rear headrest, headlight levelling all working fine.

Please help me with your expert guidance !
Old 21st May 2014, 11:32   #672
BHPian

Check gas pressure. .pressure cut out switch. ..and klima relay /seating
sportz_kruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 13:35   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
The problem is - the AC compressor does not turn on every time I switch on the AC. This is irrespective of outside temperature / cold start / hot start/ idling or driving.

Sometimes it switches on after a delay of 2 to 10 minutes, cooling starts, but again (most of the time) it is OFF within 10 to 20 seconds and again switches ON and quickly OFF.

Very rarely it remains ON for a longer time and then the cooling is fantastic.

There are no vacuum leaks - all AC vents, rear headrest, headlight levelling all working fine.

Please help me with your expert guidance !

sportz_kruzer covered it; however check the following also [After each step check if everything is fine]

I am assuming your blower is working; its the compressor that cuts out

1. Check all the fuses; there is one for compressor; remove it clean it and put it back. While you do check if the fuse is bad; if in doubt just pull the same color fuse from somewhere else and put it there [Just to test]
2. Remove your KILMA; clean contacts keep it back

Now since your compressor does turn on; there is no need to check whether that is faulty; So do the following

- Check pressure on the gas; if alright; do not over fill

Start the engine; put the AC on full blast; Open you bonnet and look at the compressor, You will see that AC clutch is engaged; now light a smoke relax and wait to see if the clutch slips out

If the clutches slips and stops, then check the following
1. The wire to the compressor; there is block of wire, wriggle that. Somewhere the compressor signal from the KILMA is getting dropped. So check all wiring.

If compressor is getting proper current, but still the clutch is slipping then either of the following
1. Your belt is slipping, as compressor has a speed sensor to protect it; check belt condition, tensioner etc
2. you need a new clutch, MB does not sell clutches separately; however if I am not mistaken a Hyundai sonata clutch is the same; so buy a new and fix it; just remember the gap should be 0.5 mm

Do the above and let me know.. will help you from there

Lastly if you have the appetite, attached is the detailed trouble shooting step; for anything about AC [Off the internet; however not all steps apply to E220, but helps]
Attached Files
File Type: docx AC detail troubleshooting.docx (14.8 KB, 814 views)
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 19:11   #674
BHPian

Hellow,
My family owns a 1996 w124 E250 D,it has recently developed an odd issue.When the key is turned to the off position the engine doesn't stop,it keeps running and has to be turned off using the shut off screw/valve in the engine bay.Can someone shed some light about the possible causes and solutions to this problem.
Regards,
Abhishek
Old 29th May 2014, 14:35   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Hellow,
My family owns a 1996 w124 E250 D,it has recently developed an odd issue.When the key is turned to the off position the engine doesn't stop,it keeps running and has to be turned off using the shut off screw/valve in the engine bay.Can someone shed some light about the possible causes and solutions to this problem.
Regards,
Abhishek
I would reckon your Shut off Valve is not working and needs to be replaced; or you have a vacuum leak from the line that connects this valve to the key

Most Viewed