Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 06:23   #886
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
F.

Please shine some light on the "badnaam" W210 range from your experiences in India.

Maybe this helps a bit

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merce...ility_concerns. In general I would say the W210 is a stonking good car. But in general again, all older Mercedes have problems with rust. It was the one thing I was surprised to find when I started buying classic Mercedes. W123 considered by many the best engineered Mercedes suffers from rust badly. W124 is better but not without its problem.

Rust on most older cars is typically because there were multiple watertraps. On the W210 there are just a few, but as you can read in the article, it could get bad! And on top of that there was a problem with the paint.

On the upside, if you find one with no rust, you are good to go, but you do need to pay attention to the rust prone spots, preferably get the car treated with some anti rust treatment if you intend to keep it for a longer period of time. If there is no rust in the psint affected areas, I would not worry, because if it held this long you will be ok for a few more years. do check out those other points as mentioned.

Good luck, great car!
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 20:33   #887

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Help Fellow Mercedes Owners.My w124 230 E has been plagued by rats who have chewed up a lot of wires in two nights and i need the name of a good electrician who can carry out the repairs.I am absolutely heartbroken at this stage.
Old 22nd May 2015, 22:31   #888
BHPian

If you want to try my guy, he is in Pune. Knows these cars and their wiring systems pretty well. Automec in Viman Nagar. I had an AC issue, that was resolved completely, after replacing some wires in the engine loom.
benz220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 20:49   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravismah View Post
Help Fellow Mercedes Owners.My w124 230 E has been plagued by rats who have chewed up a lot of wires in two nights and i need the name of a good electrician who can carry out the repairs.I am absolutely heartbroken at this stage.
I had passed on a contact via email.
Did it help?, let us know about the current status of 230E.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 01:33   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I had passed on a contact via email.
Did it help?, let us know about the current status of 230E.
Dear Akshay,
Thanks for the contact and I got in touch with Jatin who promptly came and checked the car and had it towed away on a flatbed to his workshop as the wiring harnesses were completely cut thru.He is working on it right now, we are connecting the cut wires temporarily following proper color coding and then when we fire the car up, we will check all the workings of the electricals an them finally solder the connections, sleeve it and insulate it.Jatin has kept the delivery of the car as on coming thursday as I have asked him to fix a few niggling issues in the car.He is knowledgeable but his shop is small fr now as he can take only three at a time whilst working on only one.I will try to post pics.

Thanks Akshay , I owe you one.
bravismah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 22:24   #891

It will be a fortnight tomorrow since Jatin from Wagenwerkz has taken my W124 230 E for repairing the damage to my wiring harness from rats.Its been a painstakingly slow process to lace and loom the harness but they are going at it.Just a couple of days ago we fired her up after temporarily taping up the wires..she fired up at once and is running smoothly.Ill just have to drive her for a couple of days to ensure that all electricals are running fine and then we will have to solder the wires together,sleeve and insulate it.The Aircon wasn't working, as in, the compressor wasn't coming on and suspected low pressure in the system and probable leaks.two leaks were found and is getting rectified after which the Aircon will be back to its chilling normalcy.

A few suspension issues were found in the front end and will be attended to in the next phase.Jatin is good with his knowledge and approach and preemptive too.He had my car buffed up and polished and the colour really pops out for a car which is 23 years and having its original paint intact bar a couple of scratches thanks to the morons driving on the road.will post before and after pics once i get the time.Jatin is good but multitasking would have been desirable,but then again that could be due to labour issues.
Old 16th June 2015, 21:29   #892

Finally my beloved Merc is back from Jatin"s wagenwerkz,wiring has been attended to but still a few niggling problems remain as all wiring needed to be checked.I have now found that the side turn indicators on the fenders were found to be cut when I went to take delivery of the car.Jatin"s boys were good with the main wiring harness repaired very well and his charges for the same were also nominal, and i got the engine oil ,oil filter also changed.The only thing left is the front suspension work to be done and Jatin has said he will do it.I will take a call on that as it will require a good amount of money and Jatin has recommended Bilsteins over sachs, i am a bit hesitant to veer away from the stock.People ,your advice is needed.Oops ,forgot to mention just got the car polished as well as Jatin"s boys had done half the car as they had misread his instructions,so I said what the heck go ahead and do the other half and Jatin was kind enough to waive of the whole amount which I felt was not fair so we met halfway.That was a good gesture from him.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-aqua-i5-octa_20150615_153934.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-aqua-i5-octa_20150615_153946.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-aqua-i5-octa_20150615_154009.jpg  

bravismah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:19   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally my beloved Merc is back from Jatin"s wagenwerkz,wiring has been attended to but still a few niggling problems remain as all wiring needed to be checked.I have now found that the side turn indicators on the fenders were found to be cut when I went to take delivery of the car.Jatin"s boys were good with the main wiring harness repaired very well and his charges for the same were also nominal, and i got the engine oil ,oil filter also changed.The only thing left is the front suspension work to be done and Jatin has said he will do it.I will take a call on that as it will require a good amount of money and Jatin has recommended Bilsteins over sachs, i am a bit hesitant to veer away from the stock.People ,your advice is needed.Oops ,forgot to mention just got the car polished as well as Jatin"s boys had done half the car as they had misread his instructions,so I said what the heck go ahead and do the other half and Jatin was kind enough to waive of the whole amount which I felt was not fair so we met halfway.That was a good gesture from him.
Nice; good to see her back in action.
Post more pictures of the beauty.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 23:26   #894

The new Klima which I needed has come and I called Jatin to come and fix it but the Ac still doesn't work..so I guess still some unfinished wiring business needs to be done so the car will go back this week and i hope this time the work is finished and the taped up wires are soldered,sleeved and insulated finally as all the electrics except the ac seems to be working.The next phase will be the front suspension.suspension. Jatin recommends Bilsteins,what do you guys say to that?I actually prefer keeping the car stock buy if Bilsteins are better then why not?Please advise people.
Old 3rd July 2015, 00:50   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new Klima which I needed has come and I called Jatin to come and fix it but the Ac still doesn't work..so I guess still some unfinished wiring business needs to be done so the car will go back this week and i hope this time the work is finished and the taped up wires are soldered,sleeved and insulated finally as all the electrics except the ac seems to be working.The next phase will be the front suspension.suspension. Jatin recommends Bilsteins,what do you guys say to that?I actually prefer keeping the car stock buy if Bilsteins are better then why not?Please advise people.
Where did you get the KLIMA from, and part number/Brand?
I had to try really hard to get one for my E220.
Bilsteins are good, you cant go wrong with them.
Old 7th July 2015, 17:11   #896

Quote:
Hey Akshay..I got the Klima from Belgium from a contact and guess what it was cheap as hell.The guys at opera house were quoting 24K for a new one and 12k for an used one.I got the new one for 12K.Can you believe that.I am getting more parts from him so let me know I can order for you as well.You can whatsapp me on 9867630932.I am ordering all mt front suspension parts from him.Klima part no was 002 545 12 05
Old 26th July 2015, 20:57   #897
BHPian

Quote:
My only caution would be the ride quality if the Bilsteins are too stiff. if you have an option go with the HD not sport as the ride may be jarring. once you do it please let us know how she handles and also ride qyality.
Old 28th July 2015, 20:06   #898

Alas the woes of my beloved car doesn't seem to end,the car is back from Jatins Wagenwerkz,after having the wiring rechecked and the charging wire from the alternator to the battery having been replaced but still the battery seems to be running down even if i don't start it for a day. Jatin reconfirmed that after having done the rewiring the battery was getting charged by the alternator at a rate of 13.8 to 14.2 volts.Is that normal,and if so what other reasons could there be for the battery running down so fast?The battery is brand new and of 62 Amps.

People, how about some mindstorming.
Old 28th July 2015, 20:54   #899
Senior - BHPian

Check for current leakage when the car is off. Here are some probable causes
. Alternator Diode is partially defective, that will result in a large leakage.
. Leakage through Alarm/Immobilizer circuit.
. Some lights may not be off when the car is.
. Stereo not cut out with switch.
. Starter solenoid leaking

The easiest method is to connect an ammeter between the battery and the main cable. That will indicate the amount of current leaking. It should ideally be zero, but in case there is an immobilizer it will be a few milliamps. Anything more than 1A will drain off 12AH of the 62AH capacity in 12 hours.

If there is no leakage indicated, then connect the ammeter to the starter cable. If there is still no leakage, then your battery is defective - it is self discharging. That is easily checked, charge it fully, and then disconnect both the terminals. Connect it and start the car next day. If starts the battery is fine.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 18:15   #900
BHPian

What is the make and model no of the spark plugs used on the w124 e220? I am chasing a cold start shuddering and missing issue which vanishes after 2-3 mins when after start

Does it use resistive sparkplugs or non resistive spark plugs? Currently tried NGT -R BK5RE-II ..no change.

Ps: gap set to 0.8MM

Any ideas?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks