Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 08:56   #976

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I've had this long standing problem of the E220 shutting off whenever I am coasting to a halt at a red light or even if I have to press the clutch for a very slow turn. The problem comes and goes, but it has become really bad these days. The idle isn't steady like it should be, and the engine isn't as silent as other E220's when the hood is open. On scanning, it gives some HFM error. I have suspected the LLR, but I have no way of knowing for sure, and I refuse to spend a five digit sum based on a hunch. Does anyone have any ideas?!
I have this exact same issue. MAF, baseline checks done. The wire going from the MAF is heavily taped and I'm suspecting this to be culprit. Thats why I'm looking to replace the wiring harness.

But just curious Viraat13, what was the problem and how was it resolved. Tried following the thread 3-4 pages but was unable to see how you resolved the issue!
Old 8th June 2016, 19:04   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
I am in Delhi this weekend. Will check out both places on Saturday morning.

Can you also let me know the name of the shops? (anything you recommend in particular?)

Do I need the part number for the wiring harness before I visit these shops? Or is the VIN number sufficient...
Sood Motors, Rahul Motors Arihant Auto, Triple K @ Palika Bhawan.
Sood Motors, Jagat Automobiles @ Khan Market.

VIN should be good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
I have this exact same issue. MAF, baseline checks done. The wire going from the MAF is heavily taped and I'm suspecting this to be culprit. Thats why I'm looking to replace the wiring harness.

But just curious Viraat13, what was the problem and how was it resolved. Tried following the thread 3-4 pages but was unable to see how you resolved the issue!
It was the MAF, but since you have a wiring loom issue, I'd look into that first.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 16:28   #978
BHPian

Viraat.. think i have a wiring harness issue on my E220. Idle is not stable, goes below 500 if AC is turned on... and sometimes even without the AC being on, the idle is toggling between 800-200.
I can get a friend to bring the wiring harness from Germany, but i cant seem to find the part no. for the item. Can you help?
Ive looked online and there are way too many options and numbers. Its frigging expensive so want to make sure i am getting the correct one.
Thanks.
Old 24th June 2016, 15:07   #979
BHPian

Sounds more like the LLR/ Throttle body from your description
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:55   #980
BHPian

Before you spend a bunch of money, see if a competent mechanic can open up the wiring harness and check for wires where the insulation may be rotted. I had a similar issue with an unreliable AC, we did this, found the culprit, and its been two years of blowing ice cold air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Sood Motors, Rahul Motors Arihant Auto, Triple K @ Palika Bhawan.
Sood Motors, Jagat Automobiles @ Khan Market.

VIN should be good enough.

It was the MAF, but since you have a wiring loom issue, I'd look into that first.
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:28   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Viraat.. think i have a wiring harness issue on my E220. Idle is not stable, goes below 500 if AC is turned on... and sometimes even without the AC being on, the idle is toggling between 800-200.
I can get a friend to bring the wiring harness from Germany, but i cant seem to find the part no. for the item. Can you help?
Ive looked online and there are way too many options and numbers. Its frigging expensive so want to make sure i am getting the correct one.
Thanks.

Before you go ordering and or replacing stuff here's a thought: do some proper trouble shooting.

A hunting idle RPM is a well known phenomenon on these cars. It could be as simple as an air leak or an idle valve etc.

You need to find a mechanic who is familiar with this particular Bosch system

Good luck
Jeroen
Old 5th September 2016, 17:29   #982

One of my friend owns W124, Facing trouble in Air conditioning and wiring harness, seeking support from Chandigarh W124 Enthusiast. Is there any Whatsapp group for same?
Old 5th September 2016, 22:08   #983
BHPian

If you can isolate which part of the harness is having issues, have it opened up and check the insulation on the interior wires. I had an AC intermittent cut out issue, and this was the culprit. A good mechanic can replace the faulty wires. I have had no issues for over a year now. Also check teh AC relay.
Old 6th September 2016, 21:31   #984
BHPian

An acquaintance of mine added 1% (to the volume of Diesel) of Gingelly(Sesame) oil in his Palio 1.9 D. After driving for about 20km or so he says he felt this addition has made his car smoother, less noisy and a bit quicker. According to him, this will be good for my W124 (250D) too since old diesel engines had relied on the lubrication provided by the Sulphur content whose content was high in diesel fuel sold a decade back. I am tempted to try it in my W124, but afraid whether it will foul with the Diesel filter? Has anyone any experience with simple fuel 'hacks' like this here?
Old 7th September 2016, 10:38   #985
BHPian

My Son-In-Law is getting his 230E done up.
Paint work and mechanical mostly complete and came home two days back.
Some snaps
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20160907wa0015.jpg
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20160907wa0016.jpg

The front standing star is missing. Can we buy it online. Request advice.

AC also needs to be done up.

Last edited by nkghai : 7th September 2016 at 10:42.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 13:14   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
An acquaintance of mine added 1% (to the volume of Diesel) of Gingelly(Sesame) oil in his Palio 1.9 D. After driving for about 20km or so he says he felt this addition has made his car smoother, less noisy and a bit quicker. According to him, this will be good for my W124 (250D) too since old diesel engines had relied on the lubrication provided by the Sulphur content whose content was high in diesel fuel sold a decade back. I am tempted to try it in my W124, but afraid whether it will foul with the Diesel filter? Has anyone any experience with simple fuel 'hacks' like this here?
That must have been something remarkable if a 1% volume addition can make a car noticeable smoother, less noisy and quicker! Your friends is on too something!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 14:17   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That must have been something remarkable if a 1% volume addition can make a car noticeable smoother, less noisy and quicker! Your friends is on too something!

Jeroen
I want to try it too. Is it going to be safe on the Diesel filter and pump if I add not more than 1% of Gingelly in my fuel tank?
Old 7th September 2016, 14:26   #988
BHPian

Quote:
I want to try it too. Is it going to be safe on the Diesel filter and pump if I add not more than 1% of Gingelly in my fuel tank?
I will be skeptical with any vegetable oil. It may lead to clogging of filter and may lead to fungus growth.

One good old mechanic told me to add the 2T oil to increase lubricity of diesel, which I feel would be better than vegetable oil.

There are a few diesel additives ( like Wuerth ) which claim to improve lubricity.
Old 7th September 2016, 17:18   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ok just to be more clear. I was trying to be Sceptical and Sarcastic in a very polite way.

Ever heard of the expression, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 17:26   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Ok just to be more clear. I was trying to be Sceptical and Sarcastic in a very polite way.

Ever heard of the expression, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!?

Jeroen
Half a litre of engine oil for every other full tank does go a long way in making these engines run quieter and smoother. The diesel quality we have here is not entirely suited to these engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks