Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:02   #136
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Guys my yearly service is due, nothing serioud, normal stuff like Oil, filter etc, wanted to do it DIY as my mech is in mumbai and dont have the time to go there and nothing to do this weekend

Where i am stuck is what Oil Filter to use? I believe Skoda one fits or should i get a MB orginal from Mumbai shipped to me; any clue?
Old 25th October 2012, 09:27   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Guys my yearly service is due, nothing serioud, normal stuff like Oil, filter etc, wanted to do it DIY as my mech is in mumbai and dont have the time to go there and nothing to do this weekend

Where i am stuck is what Oil Filter to use? I believe Skoda one fits or should i get a MB orginal from Mumbai shipped to me; any clue?
Dear Deepak,

I don't think the original would be very expensive. I bought it too.
Call Mahesh Bhai at Maganlal stores in Opera house ( +91 22 23826081/ 30016244), he has most w124 stuff in stock.
Aren't you in Mumbai itself?
Old 25th October 2012, 12:02   #138
BHPian

The original oil filter will cost you around Rs.800
Old 25th October 2012, 13:52   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Dear Deepak,

I don't think the original would be very expensive. I bought it too.
Call Mahesh Bhai at Maganlal stores in Opera house ( +91 22 23826081/ 30016244), he has most w124 stuff in stock.
Aren't you in Mumbai itself?
Thanks will check with him,

No i am these days in Pune, Work.. :(

Anything else i should replace in the normal service?
Old 29th October 2012, 15:52   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
Have you run a scan on the ECM, to check for any errors? I would then check the injectors, but you say it drives fine, so that may not be an issue. Also, not sure if we have this, but check the oxygen sensor, as these cause mixture issue if not working properly. Air cleaner been replaced?
Thanks for that note. I'll run a scan and check what's up. I suspect it could be the injectors, or maybe the fuel filter? I don't know if I have an oxygen sensor - I believe a scan should be able to help figure this out.

This may sound silly, but I don't know if the air cleaner has been replaced before I bought the car. It had been freshly serviced though.

An Update (suggestions welcome) -
Also, I ended up damaging the exhaust a bit. One of the clamps that holds the entire assembly in place (to the chassis) was loose, causing it to move a little over rough roads. I should have addressed it the first time I saw it :(

Anyway, the clamp gave way, causing the entire exhaust system to tilt down (almost to the road) at the tailpipe end while I was driving. No major impact (thankfully), and I got it temporarily fixed in order to get home - used a piece of metal wire to hook it up in position. However, the car is noisier (very little), and I believe there may be some small leak. Maybe I went over a bump after the clamp gave way! Need to get that done asap. I believe this is easy to repair and set back.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:35   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Thanks for that note. I'll run a scan and check what's up. I suspect it could be the injectors, or maybe the fuel filter? I don't know if I have an oxygen sensor - I believe a scan should be able to help figure this out.

This may sound silly, but I don't know if the air cleaner has been replaced before I bought the car. It had been freshly serviced though.

An Update (suggestions welcome) -
Also, I ended up damaging the exhaust a bit. One of the clamps that holds the entire assembly in place (to the chassis) was loose, causing it to move a little over rough roads. I should have addressed it the first time I saw it :(

Anyway, the clamp gave way, causing the entire exhaust system to tilt down (almost to the road) at the tailpipe end while I was driving. No major impact (thankfully), and I got it temporarily fixed in order to get home - used a piece of metal wire to hook it up in position. However, the car is noisier (very little), and I believe there may be some small leak. Maybe I went over a bump after the clamp gave way! Need to get that done asap. I believe this is easy to repair and set back.
Its nothing major, around 300/- job, the guy will take it out weld the leak and put it back. Thats what it did for me, but mine came out from the joint. However, if the rubber mount is gone than its a 800/- part (khan market). Don't bother much though, just get it welded....thats it...

Cheers
911varun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:17   #142
BHPian

Finally got the exhaust work done.

It seems the exhaust pipe had been rusting for a bit - when the clamp gave way, the weight of the exhaust system finally caused it to give way. A major (almost circumferential) crack meant it wasn't a simple weld - I had to have a section replaced. Thankfully, I found a recommended 'silencer-wala' who did a thorough job. Looks like we're okay for now.

As for the initial first gear lag / jerk and the high fuel consumption - a ECU scan showed absolutely no engine faults, so I believe it is the filters at fault. The car was serviced 4000kms ago, but I don't know if the filters were changed or just the oil. Looking at the air filter, it looks like they weren't.

Next up - I drive another 1k kms to bring her to 5k since I bought her, and do a complete service - Oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, synthetic oil, engine flush and injector cleaning.

Also, thanks to today's visit, I got the opportunity to meet bhpian renegade, who has just got himself a lovely '96 E220 from bangalore (see pic). It was fun comparing notes and our machines - all of us should do this more often, perhaps?

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2012 at 15:24.
Old 5th November 2012, 07:03   #143
BHPian

Be careful with synthetic oils. Once you switch out to synthetic, it is not recommended to switch back. I was told this by my Acura and Honda dealers in the US. Something to do with seals etc.

Change out the air filter now, and see if that helps. The fuel filter takes 15 minutes to change.

Good luck!
Old 6th November 2012, 17:36   #144
BHPian

Thanks... I'll read up on oils. Maybe semi synthetic is the answer... I still have time to carry out research!

---

On a different note, I was wondering who all in the NCR area own 124s (or are enthusiasts nevertheless) - I see Viraat13, renegade, 911varun, sportz_kruzer, and ricky63 on this thread often. Sorry if I missed someone.

I'm getting excited already with this idea before it pops out - why not have a mini 124 meet one of the coming weekends? A few car crazy people, endless discussions, and most of all, a bunch of german workhorses together sounds like a perfect day, especially owing to the beautiful weather! In fact we could even do this on a regular basis. A lot to share and learn, and the beautiful machines to drool over

What say? I'll PM you all too so no one misses this post! Please feel free to add anyone I may not know.

Ayush
Old 6th November 2012, 18:27   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the exhaust work done.

As for the initial first gear lag / jerk and the high fuel consumption - a ECU scan showed absolutely no engine faults, so I believe it is the filters at fault. The car was serviced 4000kms ago, but I don't know if the filters were changed or just the oil. Looking at the air filter, it looks like they weren't.

[/IMG]

The Intial Jerk in low gears can also due to Clutch nearing its life

BTW is only me or everyone; cant the see the pics.. :(
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 08:07   #146
BHPian

I am in for the meet this sunday. I will suggest to meet early around 6 pm somewhere in central delhi, so that its near for everyone. Its a working day for me on sunday so I would be coming from Gurgaon...... I am open to any other dates for the meet.....
Old 7th November 2012, 19:53   #147
BHPian

Quote:
The 2 beauties:
The damaged exhaust section:
Cannot see the pictures for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911varun View Post
I am in for the meet this sunday. I will suggest to meet early around 6 pm.
The Sunday before Diwali? At 6 pm? Doesn't sound like a good idea. All the markets will be horribly crowded.
Either way, I have no place in this conversation as I will not be attending the meet, (I have exams this entire month) but I just thought I'd mention it.
Old 8th November 2012, 01:37   #148
BHPian

Funny because I see the pics just fine! I'll check

Anyway, this Sunday, right before Diwali will be a little difficult for everyone I guess... we should plan for the Sunday after Diwali. Let me know who all is in!
Old 16th November 2012, 17:14   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post

I checked in Palika Bhawan, Mann filters are available for 124s and are quite cheap. I'm worried if they're really made in germany... that's what it says though.

Oil, Fuel and Air filters together shouldn't cost you more than 2-2.5k.

----

Also, my car has been upto some diwali drama ;P

The power windows and wiper decided to stop working. Funny part is, the rest of the electricals work fine.

No fuses are blown, so there's no short circuit, I believe. Also, if I pull the relevant fuse out and put it back, the windows work for a few minutes, and then go off again. The mirrors work, the window rear lock works - so the electricals upto the center switch area are fine. I'll pop over to get it looked at tomorrow.

It's a little curious though!
Old 16th November 2012, 17:21   #150
BHPian

Check the fuse holder; they tend to go bad; rub the fuse with a sandpaper and the terminal that it sits

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere in the fuse box or fuse terminal

Most Viewed