Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 14:54   #166
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

225/65/15 are I feel too wide for the car.
I personally changed to Primacy LC's in June. Size 195/65/15.
Another friend has 205/65/15 (Yokohama ADV's).

If you are happy with the ride comfort and grip with the 195's, stick to that size and stick with Primacy LC's as they are the best all round tires for a W124 at the moment.
Old 17th December 2012, 00:28   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja
225/65/15 are I feel too wide for the car.
I personally changed to Primacy LC's in June. Size 195/65/15.
Another friend has 205/65/15 (Yokohama ADV's).

If you are happy with the ride comfort and grip with the 195's, stick to that size and stick with Primacy LC's as they are the best all round tires for a W124 at the moment.
Thanks...yes, the Primacy are good tyres. In looking at the specs, the 205/65/15 makes the most sense if you want to go up one. ThE difference in circumference is minimal. Below is a pretty cool link, that shows you the differences in aspect ratios and speedometer error.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Old 17th December 2012, 01:23   #168
BHPian

I'm sure you might have noticed the stance of the w124, its front wheels are exactly at the end of the fenders and not deep inside. So, up-sizing the tyres on a w124 Mercedes Benz may give you some issues if you go too wide. i once up-sized from stock 195 to 225 and i constantly faced one particular problem during monsoons. During heavy rains while driving through shallow pools of water without slowing down, usually water splashes off the path, but it did'nt, it splashed right onto the windscreen and for a second or two I was in PANIC mode. Those few seconds felt like minutes.
so my kind suggestion is that 205's are the safest bet if you are keen on up-sizing.

Last edited by msaudf : 17th December 2012 at 01:28. Reason: spelling
Old 17th December 2012, 10:10   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf
I'm sure you might have noticed the stance of the w124, its front wheels are exactly at the end of the fenders and not deep inside. So, up-sizing the tyres on a w124 Mercedes Benz may give you some issues if you go too wide. i once up-sized from stock 195 to 225 and i constantly faced one particular problem during monsoons. During heavy rains while driving through shallow pools of water without slowing down, usually water splashes off the path, but it did'nt, it splashed right onto the windscreen and for a second or two I was in PANIC mode. Those few seconds felt like minutes.
so my kind suggestion is that 205's are the safest bet if you are keen on up-sizing.
Yes, I absolutely agree. I don't want the tyre sitting past the fender, and thanks for the recommendation. I think I will either stay stock size, or go up to 205 at the most. Plan on getting this done next week when I am in Pune.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:42   #170
BHPian

i have 225/65/15's hankooks and they rub on the suspension during the full turn, so unless you are ok with it, i think 205 is the limit.....or go for flaired wheel arcs and spacers of you want 225's....
Old 17th December 2012, 23:59   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911varun
i have 225/65/15's hankooks and they rub on the suspension during the full turn, so unless you are ok with it, i think 205 is the limit.....or go for flaired wheel arcs and spacers of you want 225's....
Thanks...205 is as far as I will go. My Primacy set has lots of tread left, but are 4 years old. Car is always garaged, so I am going to let the tyre shop check them out before dropping 25000.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 18th December 2012, 00:15   #172

Dear W124 owners,
i have a very strange problem with my 1991 E 230 Automatic car Air conditioner which dispels hot air from the corner dashboard vents and cool air from the central vent.I looked up the fuses and they all are fine and even the Duo Valve is fine which i opened up and cleaned it and reassembled it,but the problem still persists.the charge of gas is proper at 0.9kg when topped up ,so if any of you people have faced this problems and had it rectified,please share this information for the benefit of all.
Old 18th December 2012, 08:33   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravismah View Post
Dear W124 owners,
i have a very strange problem with my 1991 E 230 Automatic car Air conditioner which dispels hot air from the corner dashboard vents and cool air from the central vent.I looked up the fuses and they all are fine and even the Duo Valve is fine which i opened up and cleaned it and reassembled it,but the problem still persists.the charge of gas is proper at 0.9kg when topped up ,so if any of you people have faced this problems and had it rectified,please share this information for the benefit of all.
When you opened the duo valve, did you checked if both the valves were activating while connected to battery? It has to be the duo-valve or check the connections of the temp-regulator on both sides. You have to take the AC module out and check the connections, it could be that your Temp-regulator is not giving signal to the duo-valve.....
Old 18th December 2012, 09:33   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
Thanks...205 is as far as I will go. My Primacy set has lots of tread left, but are 4 years old. Car is always garaged, so I am going to let the tyre shop check them out before dropping 25000.

Thanks for the advice.
I had 205/55 (Yokohama AVS sports something) and recently switched to OEM size 195/65 Yokohama V550. There is a noticeable change in steering and the car feels much better to drive. It cost me 5300 per tyre at Pal, Lamington road.
I would recommend sticking to OEM size and comfort rated rather than sports tyres . PLC is better than Yoko if you have really good roads. Bridgestone turanza is also good. Continental draws mixed opinions.
Old 18th December 2012, 20:47   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post

Thanks for the advice.
I have Yokohama C Drive on my car in stock size. They're excellent! Comfortable, with plenty of grip.
Old 11th January 2013, 23:51   #176
BHPian

All right guys!

I am in a real tight spot here!

Removing the FIP on my W124 300D the mechanic broke the bolt!

It is a Left Hand threaded bolt and I cant seem to find one.

This thread shows images of the bolt http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM603InjectionPump

Hope someone can help me source this bolt! PLEASE!

Could someone tell me the approximate price of a timing chain also?
Old 12th January 2013, 18:41   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
All right guys!

I am in a real tight spot here!

Removing the FIP on my W124 300D the mechanic broke the bolt!

It is a Left Hand threaded bolt and I cant seem to find one.

This thread shows images of the bolt http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/OM603InjectionPump

Hope someone can help me source this bolt! PLEASE!

Could someone tell me the approximate price of a timing chain also?
Have you extracted the broken bolt?

If sourcing the bolt is a big problem, you can get one machined at a competent machine shop (lathe wallah!). Just make sure that the material is high tensile steel and not mild steel.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 09:55   #178
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Aroy

Well, got the bolt made at a local lathe fellow.

As my dad would say - 'Mera Bad luck Kharab tha!'

After fitting the FIP with this bolt, started the car and it was down to the mechanic finishing the tuning up, suddenly there was a clunk and the engine ground to a halt!

Opening the vacuum pump revealed that the bolt was not strong enough and had sheared off. The head of the bolt went and hit the timing chain.

Damages known so far:
Timing chain is broken.

In let cam shaft is broken.

Will update with pictures as and when I can muster the courage to check inside for further damages.

Requesting engine gurus to please help me look up other areas that might be damaged.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:49   #179
Senior - BHPian

Bolt should not be made on a lathe. Bolts are made from drawn steel wires and head is forged into shape. The threads are rolled not turned as made on a lathe. That gives the strength. Lathe made Bolt will just shear off.
Old 15th January 2013, 17:43   #180
BHPian

All right guys - really need help on this!

The cam shaft part number is 6060501501

I have tried most links and dealers that I know, but yet have not found this.

Could someone help me source a camshaft!

Would be much obliged

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks