Team-BHP - Adding LPG to Santro
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Adding LPG to Santro (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/56745-adding-lpg-santro.html)

Hi all,

I own a Santro Zing (XO) which is 2 years old. I drive nearly around 65km per day and its costing alot on my pocket with a added help of long traffic stops. I want to get LPG added to my Santro but i am not sure whether it has any adverse effect on engine performance. I am bit cautious because i haven't heard many getting gas to Hyundai Santro.

Can some one please help me out with the below points -
-> How will be the engine performance effected.
-> What would be the ideal mileage i can expect from Gas, calculation would help.
-> Can i cover the car Insurance after the Gas addition to it.
-> What is the Installation of LPG to santro costs me, and where i can get it done in Hyderabad.

Replies are highly appreciated.

Deepak.

It is better to go for CNG if it is available near you.Also LPG is dangerous and explosive and atleast here in Delhi there are no major savings compared to Petrol in LPG.
Engine performance will not be affected much with proper tuning.
As far as i know there will be a drop of around 10-15 % compared to petrol in mileage.Yes you can cover the gas kit in car insurance.There are many vendors for LPG kits and price range from 12-18000 Rs depending on make , type of cylinder etc.

Thanks for the Reply Brother.
I haven't seen much of CNG in hyderabad, but would request others to provide some information about the same if any.

some more replies and suggestions would really help me in understanding the facts and coming to a conclusion.

On petrol motors LPG works better than CNG, I don’t know if its because of the lack of CNG in Australia but thats what I hear.
With LPG you’ll get a slight drop on power on your mid range and about 20% drop in fuel economy, caliculate the price difference between LPG & Petrol and the cost of installing the kit and work out for yourself how much you’ll be saving.
I run my Pajero on LPG because I get 5kmpl and just can’t afford the 85 liters of petrol that I was going through every week. Its been running well on LPG but obviously it does take a bit of extra maintenance.
If your going to put the Santro on gas treat yourself to a sequential vapour injection kit, they are more expensive than negative feed systems but are heaps better. Or if you get a standard negative feed system, try to get one that runs in closed loop. ie. Utilizes the oxygen sensor to adjust air:fuel mixtures.

May be this will help .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hyderabad.html
Atleast CNG Stations are there in Hyderbad .A CNG kit cost around 30-38000 Rs.Also you mileage for Santro will be around 18-19 Km/Kg. So it will definitely be cheaper in long run.

Thanks for the information guys, it helped.

Don't forget to carry a Cease Fire, cause i feel its more dangerous to get LPG/CNG installed instead of getting a vehicle which comes factory fitted with the KIT.

I would prefer staying in Home than driving a Live BOMB.
just my 2cents.

It is safe. I had it in my old santro and ran for 2 years(20k KM) before I sold it and it didn't gave any issues. Take care in getting LPG kit serviced every six months(IMP), Install pressure gauge to watch the level of gas left, Keep handy cease fire(if you want) and run on petrol for few KMs say 5 to 10 after one LPG tank full. You will get max 1.5 bucks/KM with AC depending upon the rate of LPG at Hyderabad.
Get you RC book updated along with Insurance(this is very important otherwise you will not get any claim during accident)

@ghpk : CNG is exponentially safer than petrol , diesel , LPG fuels because ;
It is lighter than air and escapes in case of a leak in the atmosphere whereas petrol will make a pool , so will diesel , and LPG will accumulate around for an explosion.
CNG ignites at a much higher temp. than petrol , LPG.
CNG tanks are much more safer in case of an accident vis a vis Petrol , Diesel tanks.

Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust (Post 1264111)
@ghpk : CNG is exponentially safer than petrol , diesel , LPG fuels because ;
It is lighter than air and escapes in case of a leak in the atmosphere whereas petrol will make a pool , so will diesel , and LPG will accumulate around for an explosion.
CNG ignites at a much higher temp. than petrol , LPG.
CNG tanks are much more safer in case of an accident vis a vis Petrol , Diesel tanks.

Regards

Agreed but it all depends on the quality of the kit and quality of the fitting also the fittings should be inspected regularly for damages , leakages etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka_iitd (Post 1263501)
It is safe. I had it in my old santro and ran for 2 years(20k KM) before I sold it and it didn't gave any issues. Take care in getting LPG kit serviced every six months(IMP), Install pressure gauge to watch the level of gas left, Keep handy cease fire(if you want) and run on petrol for few KMs say 5 to 10 after one LPG tank full. You will get max 1.5 bucks/KM with AC depending upon the rate of LPG at Hyderabad.
Get you RC book updated along with Insurance(this is very important otherwise you will not get any claim during accident)

Hi Aka
I just moved in from TVM to BLORE and I wanted to get my LPG kit serviced. Can u suggest a good place for me. Im staying next to CV Raman nagar

Cheers
joe

Check with Hyn dealer.

They might install the official CNG kit from the Santro CNG.

Hyundai have just introduced the Santro Eco which runs on LPG, so it is even available factory fitted now ! Check it out here - Hyundai Santro ECO-LPG version car Launched- Info and Price:Indian Automobiles News Forums

Folks, any idea on the density of LPG pumps in Hyderabad? Do most pumps have it or is it a rare find?

@Twister_In: What was you final take? Did u check out the Santro Eco?