Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 16:28   #46
BHPian

Well Black12rr, I agree that we don't pour litres of oil to clean the filter, I am checking if the stock filter works fine then probably stick to it, I have lost 0.5 kmpl after I got the K&N stock replacement filter...so that's a concern if not a big one.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:36   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
I raised this question on pete's website and phat came the reply, the excess smoking could only be due to excess oil on the new K&N Filter, I am going to try putting back the stock filter and check if the smoking continues if it doesnt, then get the K&N cleaned and reduce the oil used on the filter once its clean and dry. This Thursday will be focused for on doing the above, will come up with the results and I sure do hope it works and reduces the excess smoke.
When i cleaned the filter last week, i didnt use the oil at all. Just used the cleaning fluid since i could not find the oil bottle. Do you mean to say that we should not use the oil in excess for cleaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
You dont pour liters of oil on filter for cleaning dont you ? . May be for couple of kms after installing the filter the oil might be sucked down . You are saying that even after first 2-3 kms later , the oil still remains there and the engine keeps sucking it for thousands of kms . Thats not a convincing LOGIC .
Completely agree with you. I too will post a query on their website and see what they say
Old 26th April 2009, 16:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Rider60

Firstly, I am basing whatever I say on info gleaned from people who have already tried it - I have not experimented with anything on my own. Neither am I remotely an expert on these things.

Secondly - guess theoretically you are correct BUT according to Sameel (he works with bosch and is familiar with both the engine, the ECU , injection systems etc), the stock replacement filter supplies more than enough air to meet the demand of the Accent/Elantra CRDi engine even with the Petes box in stage two. In other words - you can put as big a filter as you want - with NO ADDED ADVANTAGE - the engine and the fuel maps have no need for the additional airflow you may be able to generate/provide. You may be better off removing the cat con and other obstructions in the exhaust instead!

However, if you plan to add an intercooler and play around with boost etc, then the requirement for both air and fuel will change - this is what brraj is trying to do in the the Boosted Elantra thread with the piggy back ECU and the new HKS filter.

There may be other complex (or even simpler) explanations... this is what I have garnered!

well all that complex explanations and theories apart, KB100, are the other cars running this similar setup of stock replacement Green Cotton air filter and Pete's Box having this smoke issue or is it only Mobike's accent viva Crdi facing this excessive smoke issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
That's true, but a CAI would make a difference as the amount of oxygen in the same volume of air would increase. Simple test, drive your turbodiesel early in the morning when the air is cool and late afternoon when the air is hot... for the same throttle position, the engine will be noticeably more responsive when it's cooler. For those with intercoolers, rigging up a system to spray water over the IC makes a noticeable difference as well. Its not a very complicated mod and doesn't involve any tinkering with the engine itself

Well the Green Cotton Storm CAI Does make a noticeable difference in my stock Accent Viva Crdi, with the the 195 tyres, the car with the stock box, struggles to full off the traffic signal stops and other halts, but with this CAI has made the drive-ability a lot little better.

Now i have never tried the stock replacement air filter from either Green or K&N, but this bigger and better CAI with good Plumbing will definitely provide more and cooler air too, considering the location of the in-let vent of the stock air filter box. Because that is exactly where this plumbing is going to lead its in-let vent just like i put it in the picture in the previous page.

The whole lot reason for suggesting and Still Recommending the Bigger CAI is that, although for normal driving and occasional ripping the stock replacement might do just good, the TOTAL MAVERICK style is going the make the car cough up the smoke very very often.

well why not try this mobike008, come over to my place next week-end and lets have our air filters interchanged "OR" lend me the Pete's BOX and see if my car emits that much smoke say what???
Old 26th April 2009, 17:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
On Saturday, I simply followed your advice and did the following :-

1. Cleaned the Green Cotton replacement filter with the cleaning kit. Unfortunately, the oil bottle was misplaced therefore, just used the cleaning fluid

2. Since i coudn't go to a service station and make use of their compressed air, i just cleaned the entire engine bay using a wet cloth.
Mobike... Please - IMMEDIATELY buy the respective oil and apply the recommended quantities on your filter! Without oil the filtering ability is severely compromised!!

Secondly please take your car to the Hyundai A.S.S and ask them to clean your MAF (they know what and how to do it! Its expensive - so please do not try it yourself!)

After you do this you should NOT have ANY smoke problem! (There will be a little smoke under hard acceleration - don't worry about that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well all that complex explanations and theories apart, KB100, are the other cars running this similar setup of stock replacement Green Cotton air filter and Pete's Box having this smoke issue or is it only Mobike's accent viva Crdi facing this excessive smoke issue?

The complexity? - Sorry about that! But this is what I learnt when I asked around!

The second part of your question - I have an Accent CRDi running with a K&N Stock replacement filter - and I have this problem periodically. Cleaning the filter and MAF eradicates the problem for me.

w.r.t. to the CAI - so long as you are happy ...
Old 26th April 2009, 20:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

@kb100,

we all know the CAI is conical and supplies more air than the stock box, (which i find to be a little restrictive, the feel of the engine with those big tyres and stock air filter box is like as if i am running on a flat tyre and the engine is struggling to pull. ) so this time i want to do a little experiment of my own if Mobike agrees to it and see how this CAI feels coupled with the Pete's Box.

mobike you listening? tell me when you are ready.

P. S. i was out of town these 10 days or so, so couldnt reply earlier.
Old 26th April 2009, 21:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
@kb100,

we all know the CAI is conical and supplies more air than the stock box, ... so this time i want to do a little experiment of my own if Mobike agrees to it and see how this CAI feels coupled with the Pete's Box.
Again I repeat - not all CAIs will supply more air than stock. A lot of it depends on effective surface area, plumbing, direction of airflow, and a dozen other variables!

However no harm in experimenting ... the results will be informative. (However do experiment with more than one type and design if you can)

You might also want to try losing the restrictions in the exhaust as well ( cat-con et all.)

End of day all that matters is a satisfied owner!
Old 26th April 2009, 23:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

True mate, but i would not suggest the cat-con removal and higher devilish stage 2 or 3 setting on the box yet, we better look at the brake pad and suspension upgrades first.

well thats completely me and my opinion, after the stock power and the top end the car can hit and all, i dont want that extra power with out these upgrades first so i just stopped at the air filter and the bigger & larger tyres that handle and sink in the pot holes real smooth.

well i am looking forward for mobike's reply now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks