Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 16:52   #1

Alto - Engine Proportionality

Hi All,

I have an Alto LXi - 3 years old.

I've been having a problem the last couple of months like thus. On an incline, if I try to increase power by pressing the accelerator, the engine revs up immediately, but there's no increase in the speed / pull. Sometimes, if the AC is on, this happens even on a level road. But it rarely happens when the engine is cold.

I took it to the Maruti Service Station a couple of weeks back for servicing and explained the problem to him. They reported that the clutch plate has hardened and there is a consequent loss of "proportionality". They said they have adjusted the clutch plate and I should try to use it now. If problem persists, the plate will have to be replaced (cost around 4.5K or so).

Well, the problem resurfaced yesterday. Not too sure what to do ... would appreciate any suggestions from the knowledgeable folks here.

Also racking my head as to what habit of mine has caused this problem in the first place. Is it normal to have this kind of wear and tear in just three years ? I follow the normal practices ... rest your foot on the floor, not on the clutch pedal ... don't use half-clutch to start-off on an incline (use handbrake instead) ... use engine-braking where you can. I do have to tackle a lot of start/stop traffic though (but don't we all).

Apologies if I'm rambling. Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,
Sonal.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

How many Kms has your Alto run ?
Old 16th April 2009, 11:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
How many Kms has your Alto run ?
She's done about 27K kms so far.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

are you finding the clutch release operation hard? clutch being hard is different and clutch slipping is different. i have a hard clutch after 40k kms, but its not yet slipping.
sometimes if portions of the clutch plate surface becomes hard then there is a proportional slippage. u will feel minute variations or jerks.
show it to a competent mechanic. he will judge better.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I cant think of any thing else other than the clutch. Get the clutch changed and you should be good to go.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

For some reason, your clutch has worn out prematurely. Get it replaced & try to find out why it has worn out earlier than it should.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

WizardOfDoze,

My guess here is that its one of the following :

1) The clutch setting is not proper - therefore when you release the pedal completely, it is stll not making proper contact. (If im not mistaken this is a possibility)

The above problem could have been the initial problem, that then led to the following (even if problem (1) was rectified later - as you mentioned).

2) Due to the constant slippage of the clutch, it has got worn out way faster than its usual life (which is closer to double of the kms you have currently run).
If this is the case, the clutch willl have to be replaced. Having your mechanic take a look at the clutch will tell. Just make sure that problem (1) has been solved before putting a new clutch in, otherwise the same thing will happen again.

Do you smell anything when driving? A rotten egg smell ?

cya
R
Old 19th April 2009, 19:30   #8
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I cant think of any thing else other than the clutch. Get the clutch changed and you should be good to go.
+1 to this. I had experienced this problem on one of my previous cars at about 50,000 kms on the odo. The clutch was replaced and the problem was solved.

Cheers,
gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks