Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 14:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

"Exhaust"ed

Doc,

Do you think the car is sounding more sports like than before?If yes,then the exhaust is leaking(kano padi gayo)

Also going by what you say,if anyone standing next to the driver's door says he's "hot",then the exhaust must be leaking

If the exhaust leaks,it will result in a slight drop in fuel efficiency due to reduced back pressure(and reduced "residence time")

Anyways,do update at 4
Old 16th April 2009, 14:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

Ps:what are all possible side effects of an exhaust leak?
Main Effect : Free Flow Exhaust

FE drops.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Some torque is also lost.

You of all people should know that more expensive doesn't always mean better. The so called premium fuels in India aren't higher octane, they just have additives. Some engines might like them, some might not give a damn, some will have problems.
Old 16th April 2009, 16:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

I do experience lost torque. And i never ever had problems with premium fuels. In fact, call me mad but the engine felt it was running smoother than when dad plonked some regular fuel. (he is one more believers AGAINST premium fuel) we follow the full tank method. So every time i'd pray for the non premium fuel to get flushed out. And the car would become sweet again. Anyways i'm in the cab. On my way to vitesse. Will update at night now. Wish me luck. Thank you so much guys. Your advice was an absolute must and i'm now satisfied that i'm not getting ripped off:-)
Old 16th April 2009, 16:55   #20
BHPian

Frank and E_L,

I too face the same problem. However the hiccups start only when the engine is hot. Is it the same behaviour in your case? I mean, on a cold start, the engine runs fine for about 5 mins. I took it to MASS and they asked me to change the wires connecting the Distributor and spark plugs plus a carb overhaul for which they quoted 5K.

Mine is a 97 type II carb.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ Jeep ... That could be due to a vacuum hose leak, surely not the plug cords. No need to service the carb, just get the vacuum hoses checked. Carb overhaul is not a simple job, there aren't many carb experts left.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:30   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Frank and E_L,

I too face the same problem. However the hiccups start only when the engine is hot. Is it the same behaviour in your case? I mean, on a cold start, the engine runs fine for about 5 mins. I took it to MASS and they asked me to change the wires connecting the Distributor and spark plugs plus a carb overhaul for which they quoted 5K.

Mine is a 97 type II carb.
How much has teh car run and how long have you been facing this issue?
1.first try by just replacing plugs with the specified type(not sure about the spec)
2.only plug wires in stage 2

I don't see a problem with the carb or with the distributor
Old 16th April 2009, 17:44   #23
BHPian

Thanks E_L. Will check the vacuum hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
@ Jeep ... That could be due to a vacuum hose leak, surely not the plug cords. No need to service the carb, just get the vacuum hoses checked. Carb overhaul is not a simple job, there aren't many carb experts left.

@Vigsom, the car has run 97K. I have been facing this problem for the last 2 months or so (1k km). Will check the spark plugs and change. I remember changing the spark plus not so long ago. Need to check
Old 16th April 2009, 22:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

ok i just got my car back from the service station. paid a bill of RS. 3081. my engine fuel injectors were cleaned, the HT cables from the distributor to the engine were changed, the engine tune up was done, and some other small work was carried out.
The car runs LIKE NEW now. beautiful work, and great diagnosis by the MASS. the engine doesnt knock at all, the car sounds smooth and she picks up cleanly from higher gears at low speeds, just like she did, 3 years ago.
The FFE has not caused any degradation nor drop in performance. It was the injectors and the cables. And the car is running like a song, aided by the slightly increased torque after the cleanup. The service guys praised the way the work for the FFE was carried out. Now THAT's a first from maruti. I might have paid, say 15% more than what i would have paid at a non MASS, but im thoroughly satisfied. Cheers guys!

Last edited by frankmehta : 16th April 2009 at 22:41.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Hi Franky ,
If possible get the engine flush done that would help in case of any problems in the engine( i mean if there is any kachra or something).
Ask them do flush it twice using the same oil.
garry could you please explain Kachra in engine?
gone are those days when we used to talk about kachra in carbed engines.

@Frank as for hot air i dont think its exhaust leak.
It might the Hot air from Ac compressor.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:25   #26
Team-BHP Support

frank - good to hear but if there is still the problem of hot air coming from under the car you might have a leak. you got it done from viper right? send it to afzal to check it out.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nope. We raised the car on the ramp and checked. There's no leak. The ffe has been done just fine. That hot air does look like its from the ac compressor. Since there's no holes or leaks in the entire exhaust. Afzal has done a brilliant job

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks