Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 09:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Esteem just given for service

My Esteem has been behaving funny since a month. Knocking and jerky on throttle. The jerks are sometimes much more than normal and pressing the accelerator in 2nd gear makes it jerk even more. There has been no drop in performance at all, but the engine sounds slightly rough and strained. Fuel efficiency has dropped to 6.5 km per litre. So i took it to Vitesse today. They test drove the car and without me describing the problem, confirmed my findings. Also, they attached the tech1 scanner in front of me(on my request) and said that the injectors need cleaning. Also informed me that the cold/code tension wire is weak, according to the reading from the scanner. Now, this is something i don.t know. What wire is this? And would it be responsible for my problem? And can it be seen in the scanner? Or is it a way to get money out of me. Pls help. Delivery will be at 4. Will update the thread at 12 after talking with the service technician
Old 16th April 2009, 10:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO the tech meant your high-tension wires (the wires connecting your spark plugs/distributor/ignition coil together) need changing. Weak wires mean a poor spark voltage, and that can be detected on the scanner. Should cost just a few hundred rupees, and worth changing, although the problems you describe (knock and jerky throttle), may be more related to the injectors than the spark. Weak HT wires can cause some drop in FE.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Error seems to be that of ignition coil wire/s. How much has your car run till now? If its more than 30k ask them to set the valve/tappet clearance and a throttle body clean up also.

First thing though, check the air filter and petrol filter.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:40   #4
BHPian

Hi Franky ,
If possible get the engine flush done that would help in case of any problems in the engine( i mean if there is any kachra or something).
Ask them do flush it twice using the same oil.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Car has run 40k. And the filters and throttle body was tended to in the last service a month ago. Fuel efficiency has dropped DRASTICALLY since i got my ffe done. However sedate my driving style has been. Infact i'm always conscious about my fuel efficiency and don.t enjoy driving anymore. Its a sad thing, and an fe of 6 is quite pathetic. No doubt, the ac is on all the time, but i upshift at the slightest instant, without lugging the engine. Don.t know what to do. Don.t blame the ffe totally but presentation of these symptoms increased around that time. Can't afford to run an Esteem with the fe of a v6 engine
Old 16th April 2009, 11:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you spend millions on ICE at the drop of a hat, but can't afford a virtual V6?

Fix your injectors and then see if the situation improves. If it doesn't, we'll move on to the FFE.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha ha. Virtual v6 is hilarious :-) yes, lets see what injector cleaning does. . But i'd say, it might not make a difference. Not too much, since i get the injectors and throttle body cleaned every year, religiously. The ht wires might make a difference. Lets wait and watch. I can say, it was much more fun driving her when i didn't have to worry about how much fuel she was sipping. Dad yells all the time. The zen does the same route with the same driving style with the ac on 24/7 and still gives 4 kmpl MORE. I have to hear that line daily. Even the esteem did 10kmpl in the city. Dunno what's wrong with my girl
Old 16th April 2009, 11:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is there anything else i must ask them to check? Oil flush hasn't been done in a long time. What's the indicator that oil must be flushed?
Old 16th April 2009, 12:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ok just got the call from Vitesse. They said the tension code wires need to be changed. 4 sets. For rupees 1150. And they said that even though the injectors have been cleaned there will still be knocking. The reason they state is the use of premium fuel. They have always advised against it. I'm quite confused as to how more expensive fuel can cause knocking of the engine. Anyways, will take delivery of the car at 4 and update here. Till that time, please tell me if what is being done is right. Thanks
Old 16th April 2009, 12:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

hey also get your ffe checked once your done with all this. might be a leak.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

I had the same problem with my carb esteem sometime back. The plug cords were the culprit. Replaced them & all's well.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ok forgot to mention one more very integral point. Nowadays anyone standing on the drivers side outside the car complains of very hot air coming from the side. What does this indicate? Does this point to an exhaust leak?
Old 16th April 2009, 13:54   #13
BHPian

When the hot air coming out, if the radiator fan is running, then it is from there. I guess this should be ok.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:55   #14
BHPian

yes it could be an exhaust leak - there's a hole in my cars mid muffler and it has the same effect of the hot air coming from the side.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh k will get that checked outside. Since vitesse charges a lot for the smallest of things

Ps:what are all possible side effects of an exhaust leak?

Last edited by frankmehta : 16th April 2009 at 13:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks