Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 23:12   #1
BHPian

Giving my Esteem VX 98 a second life!

Hey guys,

I have a esteem 98 VX. I am planning to get the engine re-done, new clutch plates, the dash board openned and fixed without any bugs in it...4 new shockers, and new axles practically want to get the baby openned in burst mode and fix anything with a bug in it (including the screws). I though a lot and finally decided to go with the plan but before I do I wanted to share it with the experts on team BHP.

One question " IS IT WORTH IT?" The point is even if I sell it i'll get 80-85K for it...better use it for the future since the esteem is a great car. The registration expires Feb 2013 but I plan to get that extended once we get there. So please let me know your suggestions/recommendations.

Yeah I forgot to mention will get the entire wiring removed and a new one fitted! I am expecting the cost of the whole thing to be around 1Lac but feel that the car can come back to life and I can use it for another good 5 years or so. So please need your thoughts on this. Thanx
Old 17th April 2009, 11:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One question " IS IT WORTH IT?" The point is even if I sell it i'll get 80-85K for it.
Good question. Here is what I would do : Sell this Esteem for 85K, and use the 1.0 Lakh repair fund (or a little more) to buy myself a later model MPFi Esteem (easy for under 2.0 lakhs. Could even try for a Baleno). Lateral upgrades rock, take advantage of the varying rates in the used car market.
Old 17th April 2009, 12:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Agree wit Rush,
Sell the car and get another one. As this is already 11 years old. unless you have sentimental reasons to keep her. if keeping her and spending so much money look at upgrades too instead of just replacement of standard parts.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

What You Have - 1990s Technology
Esteem VX 1998 - BSI - 8 valve 65bhp,carburetted,Hydraulic Power Steering,low seating

What You Could Have - Latest Technology

Swift Vxi - 2005 BSIII - 16valve MPFI , 85BHP,EPS,Good Seating,Trendy Car

What It Will Cost

Rs.3 lacs minus Rs.0.75 lacs(sale of 98VX) minus Rs.1lac(renovation bill for 98VX)=Rs 1.25 lacs

I also had an Esteem for 4 years and rate it 9/10 but please remember you've to keep up with Technology
Old 20th April 2009, 16:39   #5
BHPian

The advice given by all members is the right thing to do.

But to be very frank, I have a 97 carb VX, and I don't think I want to hive it off. New technology is fine, but for me, this car means more control, less computerization.

Have you actually checked what all needs to be replaced ? The cost of Esteem Spares is not too much.

Clutch Set : Rs.3000 with labour
2 front Axles : Rs.6000 with labour
4 Shocks : Rs.6000 with labour etc etc.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why do you want to replace the axles ? open up the car & see what all needs to be done. I don't think you will need to replace the axles.

1. Tyres
2. Suspension
3. Tinkering/Painting
4. Clutch
5. Nicknacks

All of the above should not exceed 30-40k.
Old 21st April 2009, 03:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why do you want to replace the axles ? open up the car & see what all needs to be done. I don't think you will need to replace the axles.

1. Tyres
2. Suspension
3. Tinkering/Painting
4. Clutch
5. Nicknacks

All of the above should not exceed 30-40k.
I want to replace axles since the front left axle has some problem that never seems to be repaired. I tried getting that repaired a billion times but you always hear those crackle sounds and on over 100KMPH there is a woble on the front left side. Considering that I want to have a smooth ride i need to replace them.There were times when I used to ride smooth at 150KMPH on NH8 but now I am sacred to drive over 100KMPH with that shaky axle.

Thanks for your responses I got the paint job done to start with costed me 7K (Cheaper than I expected) but the car overheats after sometime with the A/c on so I need to get the entire wiring replaced for good.
Old 21st April 2009, 08:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Keep the esteem and get it fixed. Very entertaining car to drive.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
I got the paint job done to start with costed me 7K (Cheaper than I expected)
Now this was a wrong investment, all these sub 10k paintwalla cannot match the quality of the paint and I find them an eyesore. The paint starts deteriorating (Chipping, fading etc) in the first month itself.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Now this was a wrong investment, all these sub 10k paintwalla cannot match the quality of the paint and I find them an eyesore. The paint starts deteriorating (Chipping, fading etc) in the first month itself.
Well it was like this. I made a deal with him that I get the paint, original Metallic Black And he would spray, polish and dent the car. So i guess it wasn't too bad with me getting original paint from those computerised authorised maruti workshop's. They were asking for 15K to do what my mechanic did in 7K.

She looks beautiful!!!

Does anyone know if genuine leather seat covers can be fixed? As in I have the driver side seat cover only openning from the stitching and I don't want to replace the entire set which costed me 15K 3 years ago.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st April 2009 at 18:38. Reason: Back to back post, and lets avoid typing... like this... please
Old 29th April 2009, 10:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Well it was like this. I made a deal with him that I get the paint, original Metallic Black And he would spray, polish and dent the car. So i guess it wasn't too bad with me getting original paint from those computerised authorised maruti workshop's. They were asking for 15K to do what my mechanic did in 7K.
So you mean to say, 7k plus the cost of the paint ? if yes, then how much did you pay for the paint ?

Quote:
Does anyone know if genuine leather seat covers can be fixed? As in I have the driver side seat cover only openning from the stitching and I don't want to replace the entire set which costed me 15K 3 years ago.
There is no reason why they should not be. get it removed and stitched again from where it is opening.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
So you mean to say, 7k plus the cost of the paint ? if yes, then how much did you pay for the paint ?

Yes, the paint was 5K from MASS, but there was a difference of 8K to just dent, spray the paint and polish the vehicle.

There is no reason why they should not be. get it removed and stitched again from where it is opening.
Well, I checked with a few local mechanics and MASS. They both suggested new seat covers. They said I get it done by a mochi but the stitching would not look neat and they did not have any means of doing the job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks