Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sounds like oil pump failure and/or compression failure.

If it was carb'ed engine with a mechanical pump, then it could have been fuel pump diaphragm failure
Oil pump failure it is. Oil pressure light staying on says just that when the sump has adequate oil. Compression loss / crankshaft bearing damage / noise may be consequent to this, unless the noise is from the oil pump itself. The oil pump runs on gears, no diaphragm there - Jaggu, I think you mean the "petrol" pump when you mention diaphragm failure.

@ abhibh: What was the diagnosis finally?
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Where did all that extra oil come from? First try to get this question answered. Even if the things mentioned by others here have failed, nothing explains the excess oil.

Check oil level after parking the car overnight and see what it shows. Don't start the car before checking the oil level.
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

I assume you're cleaning the dipstick before putting it back to check the oil level.
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

I dont think that this needs a compression check. Compression check has to be done if there is substantial loss in power or smoke coming out ( irrespective of emission norms cat con exhaust systems ).

Check if your car spits out some smoke mostly black. Also take out the spark plugs and see what is there on it. If there is some black that is sticky, then your car is eating oil. If its just black thing and its not sticky, its incomplete combustion.

In your case if there is excessive oil, its the pump mostly that is acting up.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:31   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The oil pump runs on gears, no diaphragm there - Jaggu, I think you mean the "petrol" pump when you mention diaphragm failure.
yes sir it was a typo, the older carb vehicles had mech fuel pump, which when ruptured will mix petrol and oil causing all sorts of trouble. Petrol in tank will get contaminated and oil will get petrol think lol
Old 14th May 2009, 16:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Check oil level in the morning before cranking the engine. If still the engine oil level is high then please drain the excess oil ASAP as excess oil will cause damage to the piston rings ,oil seals etc.

Excess oil will find its way inside the cylinder and burn causing air pollution and excessive carbon deposits on the valves & spark plugs.

Looks like during your last maintenance guy did not drain the oil engine oil completely & he filled up with fresh one. The undrained amount might be the cause of high engine oil.
Pls drain the excess engine oil on priority.
Old 14th May 2009, 17:15   #22
BHPian

2 QUERRIES

1. When your dad took the car & it stopped, did he got it checked with some body, did he added any engine oil or something?
2. Second time you said the oil light went off, did you checked the engine oil after that?

Most of the possibility is for a engine pump failure
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Update!

Sorry guys for the late update. I was very busy and my car was just standing still for 3 straight weeks after the incident.

My dad was coming back at night and the car jerked and engine turned off. He started the car and it started making noise. He was unable to figure out what was wrong with the car and it was pretty late so no mechanics around. So he drove 100KM with that noise and even though pick was less he was able to maintain speeds of 70-80 easily.

On inspecting we found out that oil was not reaching pistons. Mechanic opened the whole engine and checked it thoroughly. Below is the diagnose:

- Oil was not reaching pistons as filter (Jali) was blocked
- Crank Shaft was perfectly fine even though mechanic said 1 piston rod was hitting crank shaft
- Oil was as good as new. Got it changed 2k KM back.
- Clutch had 25%+ life left even though engine has done 1lac+
- Timing belt was in good condition
- All other engine internals were fine

Now i got the following things replaced. I don't remember the cost of individual items but i paid a total of around 7K

- New Clutch plates, wires etc. In short my car has a new clutch
- 1 Piston rod was changed as it turned black
- All the engine seals etc
- Piston rings were changed after a discussing for 1 whole day
- AC was serviced after 9 years
- I got the timing belt changed
- Breaks were checked and grinned
- Engine
- Break Oil
- Coolant
- Gear Oil
- Hood Opener (Bonnet wire)
- Steering / suspension work was done as it was very heavy

Overall engine has a good low end now but its a bit coarse. I am told to run in the engine so cant comment about pick up much but its better than before. The belts are slipping and during cold / AC start makes noise.

FE is still good. Though will confirm with 100% AC usage.

Things to be replaced in near future

- Tyres
- Engine Mountings
- Belts
- Gear Box coupling

P.S. I will check the bills and see if I miss anything that was changed.
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
... oil was not reaching pistons. Mechanic opened the whole engine and checked it thoroughly. Below is the diagnose:

- Oil was not reaching pistons as filter (Jali) was blocked
- Crank Shaft was perfectly fine even though mechanic said 1 piston rod was hitting crank shaft
- Oil was as good as new. Got it changed 2k KM back.
Lucky you, Abhi. Glad you didn't need a new crank/camshaft/bearings/pistons/block. But I'm surprised that the oil pump suction filter ever got blocked, that too on a petrol engine. Hasn't your engine ever been flushed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Things to be replaced in near future

- Tyres
- Engine Mountings
- Belts
- Gear Box coupling
Since you had taken out the engine, you might as well have got the mountings and gearbox coupling changed at the same time. As for the timing belt, please replace it ASAP, even though it's fine on visual inspection, because it's 1L km and 9 yrs old, and at this stage it develops a mind of its own, and can leave you stranded at the most inopportune times and places.
Old 4th June 2009, 00:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Lucky you, Abhi. Glad you didn't need a new crank/camshaft/bearings/pistons/block. But I'm surprised that the oil pump suction filter ever got blocked, that too on a petrol engine. Hasn't your engine ever been flushed?

Since you had taken out the engine, you might as well have got the mountings and gearbox coupling changed at the same time. As for the timing belt, please replace it ASAP, even though it's fine on visual inspection, because it's 1L km and 9 yrs old, and at this stage it develops a mind of its own, and can leave you stranded at the most inopportune times and places.
My engine was never fully flushed or treated. Though i have used STP flush a few times and i can now say it doesn't do any good.

I have got the Timing Belt changed as it was due at 1lac KM. I think AC and Alternator belt needs to be changed.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

White Smoke ?

I am kind of sure its the coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. But lets see what experts have to say.

My car Alto was perfectly fine on Wednesday evening. Thursday evening i start the car and went on a drive till nearby market. While coming back taking a turn i saw a lot of white smoke behind my car. Found it quiet unusual considering the car was perfectly fine 24 hours ago and there has been no drop in pick up.

1. Engine oil level is fine and oil as good as new. Got it replaced in June and car has done no more than 3k KM since then. Though i am sure its less than 3k km.

2. Coolant level is ok.

3. Yet to check the spark plugs for presence of oil.

4. No traces of Oil from exhaust.

5. There were water droplets from exhaust after idling and revving the car a few times.

I hope its not the piston rings, otherwise i might go for a 1.1l engine for the swap and it could take months + other legal documents (Insurance & RC)
Old 16th September 2011, 20:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: White Smoke ?

The white smoke is probably just water vapour.

P.S - While posting in the technical section, please post how old your car is, and how many kms it has run, and if possible the maintenance done on it.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The white smoke is probably just water vapour.

P.S - While posting in the technical section, please post how old your car is, and how many kms it has run, and if possible the maintenance done on it.
Around 10 Years OLD. ODO reading states 125k KM. Engine oil, oil filter change every 5k KM. Air Filter + Spark Plugs + Brake Oil + Gear Oil + Misc every 20k Km.

I just hope you are right and its water vapors
Old 16th September 2011, 21:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

hey abhi,

If it was white smoke, it is usually attributed to two things, either the coolant or the transmission fluid is entering into the engine. The latter is not a possibility in your car because it has a manual transmission. Transmission oil can enter into the engine in case of automatic cars wherein according to the internet (since I have no experience with auto trannys) the most usual suspect is a component called the vaccum modulator.

So, that leaves us to the coolant, & in case it is entering your engine, you need to get the engine head checked.

Also, an Alto engine can easily take 200K kms without overhaul. I have myself completed 150K recently, & the only things that have needed replacement are the support systems like the shockers or the clutch plates etc.

Do update the thread with the findings.

OT: Looking at the petrol prices rise, I am hoping that somebody can do a diesel engine swap into my Alto
Old 17th September 2011, 10:32   #30
BHPian

I had similar problem two days back with my swift vxi.Loss of power,white smoke and engine overheating.on taking to workshop i was told coolant was entering engine.Engine gasket has to be replaced due to overheating costing 4500.guess total bill will come near 10k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks