Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2009, 12:18   #1
BHPian

Trouble with i10's Power Steering

Does any i10 owner here face problems with the power steering?

Yesterday, when I started my car, the power steering refused to engage. But it came to life after switching the ignition on and off three-four times.

When I went to the service centre (where the problem refused to resurface), a mechanic said it's a very common problem with i10 and i should come to them when the power steering becomes completely dead, and then they will replace the entire module.

Now, the power steering works erratically--i sometimes have to switch the engine on/off for a couple of time for it to come to life and it goes off when i'm driving at extremely low speeds for a distance (over potholed roads/at exit ramps on basement parking) but works fine at higher speeds.

the car is just nine-months old. what to do?
Old 19th April 2009, 13:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

make them replace it under warranty. forget waiting till its completely dead.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:35   #3
BHPian

Well it happens only when ignition is off...

Get the same replaced before warranty voids..
Old 19th April 2009, 13:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

ask them to replace it under warranty,the mechanic is saying its a common problem and will change it then why not now.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:50   #5
BHPian

It is a dangerous defect to live with. If they create any problem in the service center, write to Hyundai with your problem, that should take care of the issue. Please don't continue driving with this problem.
Old 19th April 2009, 14:06   #6
BHPian

The problem appears intermittently and didn't happen at the workshop on Saturday.

But it seems to be getting progressively worse. I'll go again on Monday.

But is this a common problem? I've never heard of anything like this before. and the car has done just 5000km. Have i been sold a lemon???
Old 19th April 2009, 14:57   #7

Well iam not sure which one of the i10 you possess, the 1.1 or the kappa. The initial lot of the i10 did have a problem with the steering and the dealers were replacing the modules under warranty. Please report this car to the selling dealer and he would check your VIN no. to identify the car and match it with the VINs shortlisted by the HMIL for this replacement.

I also suggest that for repairs in the electronics of the car where the ECM is linked, you may consult your repairer for advise but certainly not proceed for repairs at an unauthorised workshop to avoid major complications later.

The manufacturers have all the details of product failures at the component level and do issue circulars to carry out the necessary replacements at the dealer workshops. It just involves the replacement of the current EPS module with a new corrected one and it should settle all your woes.

Need any assistance in this area, please let me know.
Old 19th April 2009, 14:59   #8
BHPian

Please ask the service centre to replace it immediately if its a common problem. You should never wait for it to go to the extreme before taking any action. You never know what might happen.

How can the service centre guys say such a thing?
Old 19th April 2009, 15:07   #9
BHPian

Hey had exactly the same problem with my i10 magna (around 8 months old). Took it to hyundai motor plaza at cotton green, mumbai.
The service engineer called me and told that the entire steering column was replaced, since there was some fault with it.
BTW don't you guys feel that in A.S.S. hyundai seems to be climbing the ladder.
Old 19th April 2009, 16:43   #10
BHPian

Thanks guys, glad to at least know i'm not the only one facing this problem.

@veishal >> I have an 1.1 era. I did go to the place where i bought it (Sunrise Hyundai) for the check-up The service guy did say that it's a common problem with the i10 but made no mention of any VINs shortlisted by HMIL for this problem/replacement.

@krish3 >> I went on a saturday and the place was packed. the guy who attended to me was only interested in getting me out of the place fast!!

@gonecase_01 >>Did the service centre give you another car to use while yours was being repaired? I have only been to Sunrise in east delhi cause it's near my home, and the service standards there are not good at all (as you can see from my current plight).
Old 19th April 2009, 20:59   #11
BHPian

I am sure you would be better off with Hyundai Motor Plaza in Delhi, at least they would be able to give better advice. Was your car from the initial lot of i10?
Old 19th April 2009, 21:37   #12
BHPian

No idea. Go it in late-June 2008. It had a May manufacturing date.
Will try the Hyundai Motor Plaza. It's a company-owned place, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
No idea. Go it in late-June 2008. It had a May manufacturing date.
Will try the Hyundai Motor Plaza. It's a company-owned place, if I'm not mistaken.
Well, its the same time I bought my car too, I don't think these were the initial lot's. Yes, HMP is company owned.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a big risk your taking by driving a car which has a PS coming on and off at its own behest. Suggest you get the PS component replaced under warranty to mitigate this risk immediately.

My 5-month old i10 Kappa behaves perfectly in this sphere !!!
Old 20th April 2009, 13:21   #15
BHPian

Mobike.. I also have i10 -Kappa its 1 month old we got similar cars again .. Luckily i havent found any such issues either

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks