Team-BHP - Retrofitting an EPS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Retrofitting an EPS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/5716-retrofitting-eps.html)

Hey Guys,

Has anyone retrofitted an Electronic Power Steering system to their regular cars. There is a fellow who claims it can be done for approx 13k but i dont trust him.

I wish to fit it in my 1997 Esteem LX. Your views and expert opinions are wanted.

Viper

Hey Viper,

Though installing an EPS would be easier and less messy than HPS, you might want to get it done from a MASS. Not only will you get the job done perfectly, but also will enjoy the warranty it carries :)

Retrofitting from road side mechs is a gamble, for you never know when it will fail. And if it does, you are left high and dry with a failed PS system. You might pay a little more at MASS, but I guess it's all worth it.

PS: I'm not sure if it is possible to retrofit a '97 Esteem with EPS. May be HPS is more viable since even new Esteems have HPS. Maruti uses EPS predominantly on small cars like Alto, Zen, and Wagon R.

Cheers!

How can u fit the EPS used in mpfi cars into a carb car.????????

morever,maruti uses HPS in its esteem.

EPS for the zen costs around 40k if bought separately.

To fit HPS, you have to change the steering rack and add a pump and plumbing.

To fit an EPS you have to change the steering column. Since the Esteem wasn't designed for it, there may be some cutting and welding involved.

Thanks for the info guys. I am aware of the repurcussions of getting a cheapy road side job. If I were to do it it would be through my own team of professionals. Its just that we have never got any customers who want to retrofit a power steering.

One guy from carter road who is famous for selling accessories gave me the idea and the amt involved and has set me thinking. If it were possible at near 13k I would definitely experiment as thats what I love to do.

Experimenting/Modding is what gives me the thrills.

Viper

Hi Guys,

Have any of you fitted an EPS to an Alto 1.1 VX.

I have been offered the above mentioned car which is in excellent condition with low mileage but does not have EPS.

Having got used to it, it would be a struggle to drive without power steering.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 789580)
I have been offered the above mentioned car which is in excellent condition with low mileage but does not have EPS.

Having got used to it, it would be a struggle to drive without power steering.

Dont worry about it, the Alto has a pretty light steering.

What about viper..is he still active...

I have a 97 Esteem VX, it has a PS, and it has to be Hydraulic..I guess he can get the HPS fitten more easily than the EPS.

Moreover, I guess none of the sedans use the EPS..

@GTO: The unlike the LX the VX has pretty heavy steering.

Shashank ask the MUL service guys, one thing is for sure that its an expensive proposition better idea would be to find a VXi

IIRC Alto 1.1 came in only one model(Vxi) and it had EPS. Correct me if i'm wrong.

No it was only in late 2002 that the EPS was introduced & these models were called Spin e.g Alto VXi Spin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 789881)
Shashank ask the MUL service guys, one thing is for sure that its an expensive proposition better idea would be to find a VXi

I am not looking for a change...my HPS is working just fine..:thumbs up I was trying to advice that rather that getting the EPS in the Esteem, it would be better to go for a HPS, as it is supposed to have an HPS...and it would fit better in the frame, as I assume it would be same for LX and VX.

Shashank I believe you can only fit what was OEM for a particular model as I dont think much after market kits are available.

I am not shooting off the mouth, but just inking what I heard about the EPS. It seems that EPS cuts-off after about a speed of 60+ kmph, since these systems generally come in a very small car like WagonR etc. Now this has a sensor connected to the ECU that regulates this.

Retrofitting in a 1999 model that didn't have ECU would entail a lot of logistics, that IMO is not worth it..