Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:09   #1
BHPian

Gypsy info required, fuel pump Nissan engine

I have a gypsy with a nissan diesel engine, power steering, power brakes. I haven't used the vehicle for last 6 mths. Today when I started the engine I found some smoke coming out of diesel pump which sucks the fuel from tank and passes it to the fuel pump. I had it changed thrice but it got burned within 2 minutes. the electrician says it is due to some fault with the engine. any suggestions or remedy

thanx in advance
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniq62 View Post
I have a gypsy with a nissan diesel engine, power steering, power brakes. I haven't used the vehicle for last 6 mths. Today when I started the engine I found some smoke coming out of diesel pump which sucks the fuel from tank and passes it to the fuel pump. I had it changed thrice but it got burned within 2 minutes. the electrician says it is due to some fault with the engine. any suggestions or remedy

thanx in advance
Uniq62,

Check the fuel line from tank. If the line is choked because of dust, the fuel suppy will be affected and the pump will be stressed out. Hence, pump might burnout.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

I would add to the above, to do a complete clean up of fuel tank, lines and replace the filters before you decide on anything else.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:12   #4
BHPian

The same kind of pump is being discussed in Harjeev's Mahindra CJ3B page. Dhabhar Behram is your man, he knows the insides out of the pump, and its plumbing network.

The reason why your pump did that was due to it being way too loaded with pressure, or its really trying hard to pick up fuel from the tank.
Where have you mounted the electronic pump? Could you tell me that in detail?

If the Isuzu has a inline fuel injection pump, then it would have it's own suction pump, so you can even do without the electronic pump, but for a rotary fuel injection pump it becomes quite necessary. Whatever type of fuel injection pump your motor's using, its quite clear that the pump is throwing in fuel at less pressure than what the fuel pressure releif valve is designed to open at, therefore the electronic pump always ends up with excess load. Or like i said earlier, it could even be that the pump is trying very hard to suck up the fluid from the tank. Mount the pump as close to the tank to ease up its operation a little bit.
Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2009, 14:49   #5
BHPian

The problem has been solved. Alternator was the culprit, it was overcharging and the extra current was burning the pump. got the rectifier plate of alternator changed and everything worked fine.
thanx for all the advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks