Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2009, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Incorrect voltage to sensors - ECU Lamp

Hello, I got a tech 2 done at Sundaram Motors and they advised me that the coolant temperature sensor needs to be replaced at a cost of 1.5K to get rid of the engine lamp. While the tech 2 was done, i was not around. I got that done

The engine warning lamp re-appeared after 1 day . I took it back and this time, I stayed around to watch them do the diagnostics.

2 errors 1. Incorrect voltage to coolant temp sensor
2. Incorrect voltage to valves.

Now, I asked them if they had really replaced the sensor previously or just conned me by re-setting. They erased the error codes atleast 5 times, and then it finally stopped re-appearing. It stayed that way for 2 days and the engine lamp is back on again.

I doubt the workmanship at Sundaram Motors, so dont want to take it there again.

1. I wanted to clarify, if a failing or bad coil pack can send incorrect voltages to the above mentioned sensors ? in that case, if i replace the coil , I hope the engine lamp disappear.

2. the car runs rough and misfires when the engine lamp is on and it also turns the engine off ( and does not start for a min or two ) very rarely when I use the AC.

3. OEM or coil from dealership would cost me 15K, but I could get a new coil pack from an auto parts dealer for 2.5K. Its not original and he guarantees only 6 months and says it will stop working after 6 months ! Can I go for the 2.5k coil pack ?

Thanks
Old 26th April 2009, 23:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

as a precaution, i always insist for the parts that have been replaced, to be placed in my boot. thus, i can see the older thing that was taken out and be happy that the replacement was done honestly.
another idea, why not show the same thing to another MA.SS, and have the tech 2 done and then ask them for their diagnosis.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:34   #3
BHPian

hello, no advise on the voltage and role of coil in the same...
Old 1st May 2009, 15:24   #4
BHPian

Psycho, thanks for your message. Your diagnosis was right. I checked the ground wire from the manifold. The other end was loosely plugged in, it was not secure ( no click ) , i just removed it and pushed it back into the socket and presto, no more warning lamp on the dashboard and car runs smooth with no knocks and the engine does not stall while using the AC!

Just a week before, the SUNDARAM MOTORS Service Advisor and a mechanic were at my car with TECH2 for over two hours. All that they did was erase the error logged, hoping it would not re-appear. It is beyond me how they failed to analyse the error message when it exlipictly said INCORRECT VOLTAGE.

I think more than the authorised service centres, it is the manfacturer to be blamed for not providing adequate training to the mechanics at some authorised service centres and for not monitoring the service standards and penalising the failing authorised service centre.

I am now importing a Haynes Manual (helped me a lot while owning my vectra 2.2 and coupe ) from UK and also getting my own tool box and axle stands and hydraulic jack.

Like to thank psycho once again and have written to service centre and manufacturer on the quality of workmanship with specific details relating to the above issue.

Cheers
Old 1st May 2009, 17:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ignorance regarding actual reasons / possibilities of failure are endemic in the service world. Coupled with professional apathy ("it's just a job!") it is a killer for service consumers. Can't blame Indian service technicians, I have seen the same behavior in other countries too. Notable exceptions: Germany and Japan, where pride in a good job done is part of the social fabric.

Good for you that you were able to solve it with your perseverance, @vdiatech, it is a good example for others. Escalate the issue to the parent company - the service center is unlikely to be sensitive enough to this kind of work.
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Glad that it worked out for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks