Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 00:04   #1
BHPian

ECU related problems in my Octavia - Why?

hi guys. My Skoda Octavia is like 6-7 months old now. And recently i went to the showroom for a service due and cause there was some problem in the pick up of my car. They did some diagnostics and told me my ECU is like gone, mainly ECM or something and it costs around something like 60 G's but yeah my car is under warranty so there's nothing i have to pay. My Question is this that it's a 6 month old car, Why would this happen in a new car ? What would be the primary reason. And if someone could give me a guide to the ECU chip or something.
Thank You !
Old 29th April 2009, 02:14   #2
BHPian

Hi,

ECU blown in less than 6 months

I smell a fish here and based on all that's going ON with SKoda, I recommend you go to another Skoda Authorized service center and take a second opinion.

Thanks,
Rajiv
Old 29th April 2009, 02:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv.kulkarni View Post
Hi,

I recommend you go to another Skoda Authorized service center and take a second opinion.
Since it's under warranty and they are replacing it for free, why bother getting a second opinion as long as they fix the problem and return the car in time.

ECU being blown in 6mths or 6 years is RARE!
Old 29th April 2009, 03:58   #4
BHPian

Whoa.

Why are the skoda guys making you feel that they are doing a favor to you by replacing a part that costs 60 grands? It shouldn't have failed in the first place. And ECUs rarely fail. So, a second opinion is not a bad idea.

You should be wary of leaving your car unattended with the service people. If possible, get someone to stay with your car throughout the service interval.
Old 29th April 2009, 08:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd be surprised if it is an ECU failure. Electronics like that either work perfectly or not at all. I bet they are going to take your ECU, give you another under warranty. Then sell that ECU to some poor schmuck without warranty and make 60K of pure profit.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Check your pollen filter area. Under the windscreen on passenger side. It could be that water channels got blocked so overflowed into the ECO located near this or the filter cover was not sealed properly
Old 29th April 2009, 10:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

ECU Blown up in 6 months... Smells something fishy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I'd be surprised if it is an ECU failure. Electronics like that either work perfectly or not at all. I bet they are going to take your ECU, give you another under warranty. Then sell that ECU to some poor schmuck without warranty and make 60K of pure profit.
Might not possible as generally In-Warranty stuffs needs to be returned to Store so they can claim from Company. It might be highly doubtfull case if the case had been Out-of-warranty one.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:10   #8
BHPian

TO D3mon--- yeah the thing is the car is with me only for now because they say they are out of stock with the ecu . and even before all this 4 months back my intercooler had gone (lol) and now this !! and yeah its actually 8 months old not 6-7 months sorry about that. And yeah i am aware of what all malpractices they do in the company so i am very cautious about that but thankS.
and as of now the car is with me im waiting cause the dealer has sent the report to skoda india and we are waiting for them to revert back to us.
But if i wanted to where do i get a second opinion from ? i mean i don't know whose reliable more.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

My friend's petrol swift developed similar problem within a week of buying.
He brought the Maruti dealership down to their knees, for this.

I don't remember clearly but the talk at that time was about replacement of the whole car.

... ECU developing problem is a very very rare defect.
Old 30th April 2009, 08:48   #10
BHPian

hi crash

from what you say it could mean you have a blown ECU. do your injectors keep running and flooding your engine if that is so then you surely have fried your ecu. This can happen in a number of ways and since you say your car is about 6 months , it can happen also with loose battery terminals which is quiet probable if you had some ICE installed on the car and the guy dint check out the terminals. No doubt the diagnosis given by skoda A.S.S. guys has to be taken with a pinch of salt but check for the above symptoms, they are a sure sign of blown ECU
Old 30th April 2009, 13:30   #11
BHPian

check via vag-com/vcds at the dealer's - be present and see if the software connects and recognizes your ecu. if a link is established and software is able to recognize your ECU it might be a checksum issue which can be repaired via an ecu flash...
ask the dealer if they can reflash the ecu - it wont hurt unless you are hundred percent sure and they have shown you damaged electronics/hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride9x View Post
And if someone could give me a guide to the ECU chip or something.
Thank You !
Search google for ross-tech & go to their site - they have a list of error codes specific to VAG .
Also OBD II will give you probable causes - do a search for OBD II codes.

Last edited by babhishek : 30th April 2009 at 13:35.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:42   #12
BHPian

Ohh & if there are 10 or more ignition cycles on ECU's with checksum issues - there are reports they do harakiri- to protect the engine and mechanical internals....

Most Viewed