Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:01   #16
BHPian

Dint know this could also happen.

In a way you got a brand new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I'd read that its reqd to reset the ECU during the installation and hence the battery terminal was disconnected.
A noob question.

If the above statement is true should I also have resetted the ECU when I had installed the FFE on my car?
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post

A noob question.

If the above statement is true should I also have resetted the ECU when I had installed the FFE on my car?
But does FFE have any connection with the electric circuitry?
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post

A noob question.

yes your ECU was also reset. no problem with that.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
It is supposed to reset the ecu causing it to adapt to any changes that have been made mechanically.

Last edited by binz : 3rd May 2009 at 22:23.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Not sure. I read about the filter thing here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...went-down.html

hrag,
I am not sure about the Question. To put things frankly, I wasnt planning to get the Wind installed at Evo. I just asked Satya if he knew anyone at Hot Tracks. He instead told me he'd source the Wind and install it at his place. I am not sure about his expertise in installing GC filters. The battery disconnecting thing was suggested by me, as I had read the same on the thread as posted above. But from the looks of the installers, they weren't really conversant with the filter. I mean, they couldn't install it blindfolded.. if you get the drift.

But all said and done, there was nothing wrong that was done at EVO that could have reset the Odo. Apart from the few nuts and screws, nothing else was fiddled with. So I'd not really put the blame on them.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
It is to reset the ecu causing it to adapt to any changes that have been made mechanically.
Is it? I wasn't knowing about this part. So does it have to be done even if you install those Bolt On FFEs available? Isn't it that the ECU adjusts accordingly on detecting any change in the basic parameters like air intake and stuff?

Moreover, I have seen K&N filters being installed on the vehicles without any change in the ECU, so is it an incorrect approach?

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 3rd May 2009 at 22:19.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:22   #22
Team-BHP Support

Yes FFE does have a connection as the O2 sensor is connected to the new headers and will read the new values from there. It is not necessary to reset the ECU. Resetting the ECU just clears the old values so that the sensors can start reading the new values immediately.

Unless there is some issue with the odometer console or the battery inside the odometer console it is not possible for the odometer to get reset. Even if you disconnect the battery it should store the odo value in memory or there should be small battery which allows you to store the value.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Is it? I wasn't knowing about this part. So does it have to be done even if you install those Bolt On FFEs available? Isn't it that the ECU adjusts accordingly on detecting any change in the basic parameters like air intake and stuff?

Moreover, I have seen K&N filters being installed on the vehicles without any change in the ECU, so is it an incorrect approach?
As far as I know(And i don't know much) the ECU adapts anyhow.I haven't bothered disconnecting the battery after an airfilter upgrade + exhaust upgrade + a port and polish.

Last edited by binz : 3rd May 2009 at 22:24.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know(And i don't know much) the ECU adapts anyhow.I haven't bothered disconnecting the battery after an airfilter upgrade + exhaust upgrade + a port and polish.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking, I have always had heard and known of the ECU resets for Indian bikes (pulsar220/R15--having OPEN LOOP ECUs) and is probably the first time am hearing about it for the cars. So far all the airfilter/exhaust/headers upgrades I had known of had nothing to do with ECU resets so was kind of puzzled regarding the same on reading here. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright. So how does this work ? Say I get the cluster replaced, and Odo gets changed. So do they document the same ? I am very finicky about such issues. Not that I am highly bothered about the resale, just that I want the car to be tamper-proof And damn! I was waiting to put up a long term ownership report once I complete 10k kms lol

During the Green Cotton installation, they removed the +ve terminal of the battery. But I dont think that should be any reason for the same.

FH why don't you just take it to the A.S.S tell them about ur issue and demand that it be checked with a different cluster for issues , they can always do that ... i have seen hyundai do that to check a car's ECM
Quote:
and ECU reset would help , show benefits immediatley , atleast thats what i have understood , thats also th reason why After a petes box installation , it is recommended that the ECU be rest by disconnecting the -ive terminal.

This does clear out the trip meters ( both A & B ) but not the ODO on my verna.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th May 2009 at 08:37. Reason: Merging post
Old 4th May 2009, 19:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Time for an update.

Took the car to MASS. Apparently out of the 1.5L Swifts or so sold till now, no one has encountered such a problem (I'm honoured). The sad part is that neither the service manager nor his boss could figure out what went wrong. So they are going to replace the speedometer console under warranty. The Odo will of course be reset to 0. They'll give it in writing that the speedo was changed at 5xxx kms and all that jazz.

But I wish someone could tell me the reason for the fault!
Old 4th May 2009, 20:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time for an update.

The Odo will of course be reset to 0.
What about the first 3 free service
Old 4th May 2009, 20:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Did you ever realize you had gained in resale?

There are other ways to have the question asked on team-bhp and an answer gotten!
Old 4th May 2009, 23:04   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
During the Green Cotton installation, they removed the +ve terminal of the battery. But I dont think that should be any reason for the same.
Isnt it the -ve terminal of the battery which is always disconencted when the ECU needs to be reset? Could someone enlighten if disconnecting the +ve terminal would make a difference? I'm stumped.
Old 4th May 2009, 23:14   #30
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2009 at 14:17.
white_vdi is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks